What else is there to do in Acapulco besides cliff divers???

MaiTaiMary

I'm trying to research things I want to ask a tour guide about in Acapulco, but I can't find anything that really looks that interesting to do in Acapulco, besides the cliff divers!! :o :( :confused:

I really don't have any interest in visiting museums or churches or Senor Frogs.

A couple of hotels are frequently mentioned (Los Flamingos and Princess). What do people do here??

I'd love to see some local scenery. I've seen some beautiful shots of the bay and that looks nice. However, that's not going to fill an entire day. :confused:

What are these sea turtles I've read a bit about? Does anybody have info on the rescue center?

I'd also be interested in just hanging out at a local beach, but I've read NOTHING about that. :(

What about someplace fun for lunch? Any suggestions? (or is that was those hotels are all about?)

I REALLY need help finding something to do in Acapulco, please!!!! :cool:

There is nothing really to do at the Flamingo hotel. There is a beautiful view and I am sure that you could get a meal if you wanted. Views of the bay are found all around the area.

Chapel of Peace is not a church, but a chapel built high on a hill with an overlook to the bay. The windows are onyx and very beautiful.

Sorry I can't help you out with the turtles. There are lots of cabs as you get off the ship and I am sure that you can hire a driver to take you anywhere you want. You may want to check some of the local hotels to see if you can get a day pass. All beaches in Mexico are open to the public so you may just want to catch a cab there and enjoy your day!

There is nothing really to do at the Flamingo hotel. There is a beautiful view and I am sure that you could get a meal if you wanted. Views of the bay are found all around the area.

Chapel of Peace is not a church, but a chapel built high on a hill with an overlook to the bay. The windows are onyx and very beautiful.

Sorry I can't help you out with the turtles. There are lots of cabs as you get off the ship and I am sure that you can hire a driver to take you anywhere you want. You may want to check some of the local hotels to see if you can get a day pass. All beaches in Mexico are open to the public so you may just want to catch a cab there and enjoy your day!

:confused: Well, that was a huge help. *LOL*

Hello, I'm back.

Acapulco is much more than the iconic cliff divers,

Depending on how much time you will be in Acapulco, I recommend to try any of the following places

Arrange a private tour and visit the follwing places in no particular order;

Cliff divers

Home of Dolores Olmedo (Diego Rivera mural)

Casablanca hotel (awesome view of the port with the cruise ships and the city)

Chapel of the Peace (Las Brisas)

Flamiingo Hotel (one of the first hotels in Acapulco)

Fort of San Diego musuem

Glass bottom boat ride to La Roqueta island and see the sunken Our Lady of Guadalupe Statue

La light house at the Roqueta island

Any of the look our points through out the scenic road (same road toward the chapel)

EL Zocalo (main square) the Cathedral

EL Malecon (Fishers warf)

Most of these places can be visited in one day (exclude la Roqueta island, takes about 2 or 3 hours)

Other activities you can do

Shotover jet boat

Whitewater River rafting

Bungy jump

Scuba diving

Surfing (at El Revolcadero all the ay to Barra Vieja)

Kite surfing

Boat tour

Shopping at La Isla mall (near the airport), Gran Plaza, Galeria Diana, Plaza Bahia, flea market, or souvenire stands located through out Acapulco.

Acapulco's nightlife is legendary, you have a lot of very good clubs

For eating, the sky is the limit, there is something for every one from Tacos at a whole in the wall all the way to upscaled restaurants.

We have just returned from Acapulco ( myself and wife ).We used the services of ' RUDY' TOUR BY VAN. I had

arranged this tour of Acapulco independantly on line before leaving the UK.True to his word 'Rudy' was waiting for us to

disembark at the port. He took us on a wonderfull tour of Acapulco.He speaks excellent english and what he doesn't

know about Acapulco probably isn't wodh knowing about.We stopped for lunch at a typical mexiacan restaurant (El

Zoritto - great food which Rudy recommended ) .At no time did he pressure us into anything not even the choice of the

restaurant as he says it's your tour you make the decisions he didn't take us to his 'friends shop or restaurant '- you

know what i mean.The transport provided is very clean and has air con and he also provides complimentary drinks. (I did

have transfers provided in my hoiday package provided by princess cruises to my hotel from the port which i decided not

to take up) Having corresponded with Rudy by email before leaving the UK he assured me that our luggage would be safe

in the transport provided and supervised whilst on the tour WHICH IT WAS ll this meant that instead of checking in at

our hotel we were able to go straight on a tour of Acapulco,or if you wanted he was prepared to take you to your hotel

first. Our particular tour lasted approx 7 hrs with no extra or hidden costs -he took us to some places that we had not

discussed in our itinary which was an interesting and pleasant supprise.There was another couple of cruise critic members

from the US with us on this tour. Rudy is a very informative tour guide and is very proud of his city and country he just

can't do enough for you and i would highly recommend his services if he isn't the top tour guide in Acapulco he's got to

be in the first 1 - YOU JUST CAN'T GO WRONG IN MY OPINION !!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the contact details for ' Rudy 'of Tour By Van Acapulco

http ://www.tourbyvan.com

info@tourbyvan.com

We have been to Acapulco twice in the last couple of years. Both times we have used Rosie. The first tour was the standard city and divers tour, but Rosie's knowledge of Acapulco and her love for the city, made the tour memorable. We saw all of the usual places, Flamingo Hotel, Diego Rivera mural, Chapel of Peace, etc...

Rosie's vans are air conditioned, she furnished soft drinks and water and her prices are very reasonable. The second tour was more a day with a friend. She took us to different locations and we had dinner at a wonderful restaurant, (can't remember the name). We will be going to Acapulco in November and we look forward to seeing Rosie again.

Here is a link to her website. http://www.acapulcorosiestours.com/

Have a great time.

• 4 weeks later...

Casablanca has an amazing view of the port and bay of Acapulco, IMO, has one of the best view for taking pictures. I read it's currntly being remodeled, not sure if it's open to the public while they are working. Besides it has a few very impressive murals.

Flamingo's hotel is on of the first hotels in Acapulco, it was the preferred vacation getaway for many movie stars from the 50's (the original tarzan, Johnny Weismuller, Frank Sinatra and the rat pack, etc)

The chapel of the peace at las Brisas has the iconic cross that can be seen almost in any place in Acapulco and has a great view of not only the bay of Acapulco, but also the Puerto Marques bay and towards the Diamond Zone in Acapulco.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking I'm in the same boat as MaiTaiMary. Please correct me if I'm wrong. These locations that everyone recommends sound like great places to take pictures, however I do not want to go to Acapulco and only take pictures. Where are some places that we can go where there is some entertainment. It pretty much sounds like you can go anywhere in Acapulco and get a great view of the bay, but then what? Should this day be primarily a beach day? The cliff divers sound great..but the show is about 30 minutes long...yes taking some pictures would be good...but not all day long. Where are the exciting/entertaining venues at? Thanks

A few years ago we spent the day at villa vera resort famous for where elizabeth taylor married mike todd and eddie fisher was best man!

they still had sign for the villa they occupied...also there was villa where lana turner stayed...

they have a spa and we got massages for about $55 per person...they have nice restaurant overlooking bay..

if you are movie buff, this is a good option!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. These locations that everyone recommends sound like great places to take pictures, however I do not want to go to Acapulco and only take pictures. Where are some places that we can go where there is some entertainment. It pretty much sounds like you can go anywhere in Acapulco and get a great view of the bay, but then what? Should this day be primarily a beach day? . . . Where are the exciting/entertaining venues at? Thanks

Acapulco is not Las Vegas. None of the port cities on your itinerary are likely to offer much "entertainment" except at the most important holiday periods. People visit these ports, primarily, for the "sun and fun (in the sun"). So plan on a "beach day", IMO. There have been many reports here on this forum from people who've arranged to have a tour of the city and different "sights" in the area, and they've said they enjoy that. There's an archaeological zone on the mountainside above the city, and there's a site about 1.5 hours away that's recently opened that has pyramids, etc. Depending upon how you're defining the term "entertainment," I suspect onboard is where you're going to find most of it. A good guidebook to travel this itinerary with is the one published by Moon Handbooks, named (I think) "The Pacific Coast of Mexico". The book offers lots of helpful information - itineraries for some or all of the port cities you'll be visiting, also.

Archived