Certification Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

R_Judy

OK all you experts. I have read and reread many threads touting the greatness of both places to dive. I was going to certify in Cozumel but I am now leaning toward Grand Cayman. Right answer?

Thanks in advance.

The right answer is both. It takes 4 dives to get your open water scuba certification. You can only do 2 a day, so you'll have to do 2 in GCM and 2 in Cozumel.

However, if you are doing the skin diver certification that take only 2 dives, then I'd pick Grand Cayman because of the general lack of current. Nearly all the diving in Cozumel is drift diving and I think practicing the skill without current would be preferable.

Thank you for your imput Bruce. I pulled up the RCCL web site and it says PADI scuba diver certification. Have I missed something? There is pool time and two open water dives. It does not mention skin diving certification. Thanks -

Woo Hooo Got my gear from scuba.com today. Walking around the house looking like a geek.

Oceanic - Vortex V6 full foot fins

ocean quest - pacific mask

Sherwood - absolute dry snorkel

log book

baseball cap - hubby said I can't wear the hat until I become certified - lol

Thank you for your imput Bruce. I pulled up the RCCL web site and it says PADI scuba diver certification. Have I missed something? There is pool time and two open water dives. It does not mention skin diving certification. Thanks -

No, my mistake. I was wrong when I called the skin diving certification. It is indeed the Scuba certification, which is a lesser lever of certification than the Open Water certification.

Judy,

The usual Open Water certification has been shortened to what you describe--2 dives. It is just above a resort course and is somewhat controversial. Google it for some answers and criticism. There is a 40 foot maximum depth limit for example with the Scuba Diver certification. I say go for the Open Water if you know you want to dive, or maybe upgrade very soon to Open Water. Bruce is correct in that the Open Water course requires 4 dives over 2 days-so on a cruise, you would do dives with 2 dive operations in 2 ports. Many have done so and it is no problem...........Personally, I think that all divers should go thru Advanced and Rescue Diver to be well trained.

Judy,

The usual Open Water certification has been shortened to what you describe--2 dives. It is just above a resort course and is somewhat controversial. Google it for some answers and criticism. There is a 40 foot maximum depth limit for example with the Scuba Diver certification. I say go for the Open Water if you know you want to dive, or maybe upgrade very soon to Open Water. Bruce is correct in that the Open Water course requires 4 dives over 2 days-so on a cruise, you would do dives with 2 dive operations in 2 ports. Many have done so and it is no problem...........Personally, I think that all divers should go thru Advanced and Rescue Diver to be well trained.

Advanced and Rescue Diver are great certifications to obtain, however I know people who have been diving for 30 or more years who are only Open Water cerrtified who are safer, better divers and better swimmers than some of the newer certified Advanced and Rescue certified divers.

Advanced and Rescue Diver are great certifications to obtain, however I know people who have been diving for 30 or more years who are only Open Water cerrtified who are safer, better divers and better swimmers than some of the newer certified Advanced and Rescue certified divers.

Yep, an advanced certification doesn't automatically make you an advanced diver.

Thank you all so much for your information and clarification. It's great to have a place to come for answers. I am unable to do my certification before I go. We do have a dive shop about 40 miles away, but their certification takes 6 days. (mon - sat) I drive an 18 wheeler and I am only home on Sundays and Mondays. Besides, they certify with 2 lake dives and I hate lakes. Ewww. I have decided to certify in Cozumel. Then I can dive Grand Cayman the next day if I want the open water certification. Again, thanks for all the great info!

There will be 2 more modules of bookwork to do as well as the additional 2 dives to finish the Open Water certification.

While, of course, training does not necessarily make one better at anything--the additional time doing the job, activity, or whatever--will likely do wonders for a newby.

The best new divers I have seen in the water have been college students who took a semester or quarter long Open Water course. I think the additional time in water was of great benefit for them.

1 PADI Divemaster's view-YMMV

Thank you all so much for your information and clarification. It's great to have a place to come for answers. I am unable to do my certification before I go. We do have a dive shop about 40 miles away, but their certification takes 6 days. (mon - sat) I drive an 18 wheeler and I am only home on Sundays and Mondays. Besides, they certify with 2 lake dives and I hate lakes. Ewww. I have decided to certify in Cozumel. Then I can dive Grand Cayman the next day if I want the open water certification. Again, thanks for all the great info!

Another option is to do the classroom portion online via PADI's elearning - https://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba-registration/default.aspx

One more step, if you could find the time, (maybe Sunday, Monday?) is to do the pool sessions at home and not do the open water dives in the lake. This method is called a "referral". I did this years ago so I could finish in Australia instead of here in our cold murky waters... but now I'm in instructor. :)

The more you can do before you go, the better, as it will save you precious time on your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for getting as much done as possible ahead of time. We did a deep diver and wreck diver certification towards Advenutre Diver while on a cruise in Tortola that completely ruined a much longed for dive. We had to go over the paperwork on the way out which meant we couldn't watch the beautiful views, and had to spend time underwater doing our skills instead of enjoying the wonderous world below! I will never do another certification dive while in the Caribbean. What a waste of the incredible sights and little time available for diving there!

As suggested above, anything you can do ahead of time, such as class time, pool time for most skills, and even suck it up and do the lake dive to prepare will be well worth it in the long run!!!! :o

Archived