Help! First time cruiser. What do I need to know.

PunkiSeattle

I don't think I could handle an inside cabin. :( My kids did that once and said it freaked them out not knowing if it was day or night.

Well, this is really only a problem if you care. :D Seriously, one of the great thing about cruises for us scheduled driver types is that you can more or less ignore the clock. As you said in a later posting, I like to 'wake up naturally'. You're body clock isn't going to get so out of whack in 7 days that you'll sleep until 5pm but it is nice not having to deal with sunlight if you want to sleep until 9 or 10am.

The craziness of overcharging for internet access is really a huge thing for me--like most 21st century business people, I need the internet to survive. This outrageous internet charge just makes me mistrust the entire cruise system. Why would they do such a silly thing? ................... Oh wait a minute, I know, to make money, although for me it definitely worked in reverse.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I suspect they have high rates to discourage routine usage. They are sort of obligated to provide internet in the year 2004, and they could mostly likely still make money at 10 cents a minute or lower. However, where would they put the other 200 computers? (Honestly, I doubt 200 would come close enough to handling peak demand on a 2500 pax ship, which would just yield more complaints.)

I think Princess has a decent answer to a very difficult business question. They price it high so most people will only use it minimally, then give the service away to "frequent flyers". They have the service as required, but price it so high that demand is low and they don't need to think about displacing a bar or some other revenue source to install more PCs.

This isn't significantly different than first class on airlines: some people will pay an outrageous price for a nicer chair, better service and a few freebies. The rest they give away as free upgrades to frequent flyers like you. Of course, the airlines would happily add more first/business class service if they could sell it at these prices. ;)

We have already determined that the price that Hubby's class has obtained is highly inflated, as are the prices one can obtain through RCI, and United Airlines. We have found cheaper prices on line without bothering with the group or with trading a week or using miles. We have also determined that the air fares provided in the cruise packages are way too high.

(

Just one thing you should be aware of. I don't know how this reunion trip is set up ... are there structured activities, etc., involved? If so, you may be forced to book through the travel agent handling the reunion group if you want to participate in the formal activities they run.

I've run into the same thing with a writer's conference that does a cruise each year. Even though the conference does not take over the entire ship, and one could just book the same sailing directly through the cruiseline or their own travel agent ... at considerably cheaper rates ... you cannot participate in the conference workshops and activities unless you have booked through the group's travel agent, at the group's prices. This is because the writer's conference is having many authors on the cruise who will be conducting workshops, etc., and of course those authors are given free cruise passage. Someone has to absorb those added expenses and thus the cruise is "marked up" for the conference participants ... and marked up quite a bit. When I checked the cruiseline's website I noted that I could book this cruise direct for about $1,500 less ... but then, of course, I could not participate in any of the conference program activities.

I only mention this as a caution. Make sure there are no reunion activities that are open only to "official" participants who have booked through the group. If so, you may find yourself forced to pay the group's prices if you want to enjoy their programs once onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

VeniceTours... :eek: I think you read the same tone I did - maybe we're wrong :confused:

PunkiSeattle...It sounds like cruising will not be the best way for you to travel. You may just have to decide on whether allowing your husband the opportunity of reuniting with his high school class is worth the cost, irritations and inconvenience of cruising. Maybe you could skip this one - become involved in the plans for the next reunion and encourage something other than a cruise.

We have cruised in Alaska twice and have such wonderful memories (our first cruise was Vancouver to Seward). We think God did some of his best work there. Maybe you will see some things that you were not exposed to on your land trips to Alaska. When we cruised the glaciers, watched the whales breech and saw the salmon run, we loved the experience of nature at it's finest. We WILL go back - on a cruise ship!

Thanks for the heads up, kyros. It would appear, however, that this reunion cruise is not tightly organized, so I am comfortable booking our cabin on line.

Thanks to the excellent advice you all have offered, we were able to book an outside balcony at a savings of $1,500.00 over the price offered by Princess--which included one-way airfare. Our airfare, roundtrip, ANC/SEA was only $220.00 per person (already upgraded to first class) so that is a net savings of over $1,000 for the trip, and still leaves us with a return trip to ANC to visit a client later on. We travel to Alaska often enough that I am fine with continually having an open return trip from Seattle. One of the perks of being an Alaska Air Lines MVP Gold is the ability to change return flights with no charge.

I noticed this morning that Cruise Critic offered a pretty good article on cruise communications: http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=45

It would appear that some ships are moving toward unlimited access daily fees, including Celebrity, Disney, and Royal Caribbean, with Disney offering the best rates. That makes sense as I would assume that Disney attacts a younger crowd of affluent parents with young children who just have to take a Disney cruise. Unless I am misreading the article, it would appear that the $10.00 per day therein quoted for other lines, refers only to rental of a wireless card, not access, which is additonal and not unlimited.

I think you are absolutely right, juliejoe. Cruising is definitely not the best way for us to travel. We do not, however, view cruising as a method of travel, but instead as a final destination that just happens to move around--maybe we will feel differently afterward, but that is, optimisically, how we feel right now.

It will be a new experience for us and we are always open to try almost any new experience, at least once. We are betting that there will be some very positive things about this cruise that will offset the inconveniences of dealing with the restrictions and the crowds. First, we already snagged a great starboard balcony cabin at a great price, thanks to the help of Cool Cruisers like yourself. Second, we will be able to spend a lot of time with old friends. Third, we will once again be able to enjoy the breathtaking scenery that Alaska offers. Fourth, we can go out dancing every single night. We absolultely love dancing and never fail to have an amazing time and make lots of new friends on the dance floor.

Is it true that water and ice tea are the only complimentary drinks on board cruise ships? What about coffee and orange and/or tomato juice? Ice tea (as long as it has no sugar) and water are perfect for the afternoon and on the dance floor, but in the morning we really like coffee and juice. Other than that, the only thing we drink is wine and I was under the impression that bringing wine aboard was fine. Is that not the case?

Do we have to "check" our carry-on bags or can we keep them with us as we board? We generally don't check bags when we fly if we will only be gone for a week.

If we do "check" as we deboard, where and when do we reconnect with our luggage?

Thanks for all of the positive input.

In addition to water and iced tea (unsweetened), you'll find hot coffee, and an assortment of teas (it's a British line) anytime; juices are available in the mornings. Be aware though, the coffee is pretty bad and the juices are usually from concentrate. The thing about cruise ships is that you should always ask staff if there is something you want that you don't see. Usually, they will do their best to get it for you (even if they don't succeed). I remember on my HAL cruise sending a waiter back several times trying to get half and half for my coffee, only to have them fail every time, bringing milk or creamer instead and not realizing that I wanted something that they didn't even have! (had quite a chuckle over that one!) Another example is at the buffet on the Golden we wanted fried egg whites rather than a made-to-order omelet or some other kind of egg. They were most happy to oblige.

As far as wine, you are absolutely right, you can bring on your own wine. If you want it in your cabin, no problem. If you want it in the dining room with your dinner, they will attach a $10 corkage fee.

We have often taken our own luggage both on and off the ship. Just ignore the pushy porters that will approach you as you near the entrance to the building at the port and roll them up the ramp and in on your own.

As you debark at the end of your cruise, if you've left your luggage outside of your cabin the night before (for the steward to take) then you will be picking it up in the warehouse that you entered on your way in for check-in. At this time, though, the room will be filled with luggage set up in rows by color (of luggage tags). Just find the area where your color is located and then look for your luggage. It can be a bit chaotic which is why we try to move our own luggage, especially if we only have one plus our carry-ons.

Thank you, enymarsh. That is very helpful information.

The subject of "bad coffee" on Princess has come up several times, so I am starting to formulate a plan. We have one suitcase that is about ready to die, so I am thinking maybe that we will fill it with Perrier, an inexpensive electric kettle, and some favorite wine, and take it on board, checking our bags that contain our clothes. Then we can just abandoned the old empty bag in our room on the return, and hand carry our luggage off the ship.

We will travel from Seattle to Vancouver either in a one-way rental car or on the train, so handling the extra bag should on the way to the ship should not be too much of a challenge.

It will be a new experience for us and we are always open to try almost any new experience, at least once. We are betting that there will be some very positive things about this cruise that will offset the inconveniences of dealing with the restrictions and the crowds. First, we already snagged a great starboard balcony cabin at a great price, thanks to the help of Cool Cruisers like yourself. Second, we will be able to spend a lot of time with old friends. Third, we will once again be able to enjoy the breathtaking scenery that Alaska offers. Fourth, we can go out dancing every single night. We absolultely love dancing and never fail to have an amazing time and make lots of new friends on the dance floor.

That's a great way to approach this new experience. Accentuate the Positive!

And you might actually discover it's a great way to travel. My mother -- who's one of the worst travelers in the world, despite going to Europe several times, Israel and Asia -- went on her first cruise -- RCL to Catalina/Ensenada last year at the age of 80, and when I asked her on her return what she thought, she said it was great. She met wonderful people, ate great food and enjoy the shows. She's not a gambler (as long as she found enough people for a bridge game, she was happy), sunbather (which you can't really do all year round on that cruise, anyway), or drinker. But she decided to be open to the experience.

Another word of advice -- along with what you've gleamed here -- listen to what others in the reunion group are saying before going on and on about your travels. Maybe for some of these people, the cruise is a vacation of a lifetime!

In my mind, Crusin' Chick, "travel" will always mean the most efficient way to get from point A to point B. The "travel" involved in this cruise will be the process of getting from Seattle to Vancouver, and then getting from Whittier back to Anchorage and then back home to Seattle. The cruise portion of the trip is, IMHO, the destination (albeit a mobile destination), not the travel. Sounds like your mother really enjoyed her cruise/destination.

Your additional advice reminds me of my daughter. :) She is always admonishing me to listen intently and attentively to our Iowan cousins tales of their exciting vacation adventures in Las Vegas, without ever mentioning Singapore or Venice. I am just thrilled that we have all managed to get away from the farm. :D

In the instance of this particular cruise, however, hubby's classmates will be taking more of a "trip down memory lane", rather than the "trip of a lifetime". Most of them, even some of the women, fished in Alaska during high school and college and sailed the inside passage many times, watching the world go by at seven knots while standing wheel watch. I had a preview of their "Alaska reminiscing" as my hubby and his cousin, high school classmate, and college roomate anticipated the upcoming trip during their Christmas day conversations. I suspect that a good portion of the cruise talk will be about fishing back in the good old days.

I just want to kick back, relax, enjoy the scenery and dance all night long.

Actually my intent was just to let you know you may actually enjoy the cruise if you let it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who talks up cruising whenever the topic of travel comes up -- for two reasons:

1. (self-serving reason) the more people cruise, and the better the cruising business, the more ships are built and the more likely itineraries will be varied; and

2. (altrusitic reason) many people have certain ideas about cruising: I'll get seasick, I'll be bored while at sea, I'll get fat eating the food. Yes, some of these will apply to some. But others will have success using the patch, keep busy having fun, work off those calories while walking around or hitting the gym. I even used to tell parents to try the Paradise (while still a nonsmoking ship) because it'll be a great family experience being away from smokers (we personally have found it to be the cleanest ship so far...but that's probably changed since September. :( ) So reason 2 becomes reason 1!!!!

I think, Cruisin' Chick, that we are saying exactly the same thing. A cruise is, IMHO, a destination, to be enjoyed. The airplane, bus, train, etc., getting to and from are "travel". We actually even enjoy the "travel" part.

Hubby and I began our relationship (back in the 60's) sailing together, during a frostbite series here in Seattle. Needless to say, neither of us is given to sea sickness or boredom. Life is way too short to be sea sick or bored. ;)

I get fat breathing air and Hubby hasn't gained a pound since I first met him over 35 years ago, no matter what he eats. (This is so unfair.) We generally just eat what is good for us and are not particularly tempted to readily available excess.

There is no question in my mind that the actual cruise will be fun. We will be enjoying friends and relatives, who also happen to be classmates, as well as some of the most amazing scenery in the world. Hopefully, there will be decent bands aboard for dancing every night and maybe even some dance classes during the day. We dearly love dancing.

I am just concerned about the crowds during embarkation and disembarkation and the lack of reasonable inernet access. We generally travel off-season (why would anybody want to leave Seattle during the Summer) and do everything we can to try to avoid crowds, except in instances when we are, for instance, attending a carnival. When we do attend big events, we make certain that we have a very convenient and comfy hotel room where we can escape when we need some peace and quiet, and often take off walking away from the crowds, discovering the secrets of the everyday lifestyle of the locals. We eon't be able to do that on a ship.

We actually work out daily to a very specific routine which we follow on a CD played on our laptop. I have spoken to Princess and they have indicated that, if there is not enough room to complete our workouts in our room, that they may well be able to find an empty meeting room that we can use in the mornings for our exercises.

Our current plan is to take a repositioning weekend cruise from LAX or SFO to Vancouver, just to learn and get a better feel for things before we take the reunion cruise.

On the outbound, we will be renting a car in Seattle and returning it in Vancouver. We haven't yet worked out the best way to get from Whittier to ANC, but are in the process of investigating the possibilities.

It will be, I am sure, an interesting experience overall.

• 2 weeks later...
I get fat breathing air and Hubby hasn't gained a pound since I first met him over 35 years ago, no matter what he eats. (This is so unfair.) We generally just eat what is good for us and are not particularly tempted to readily available excess.

Punki, I wish you the best time out on your cruise! I don't know if stress can be a contributing factor in weight gain, but just to be sure I can only recommend not going cruisin' with this guy. :eek:

...Your additional advice reminds me of my daughter. :) She is always admonishing me to listen intently and attentively to our Iowan cousins tales of their exciting vacation adventures in Las Vegas, without ever mentioning Singapore or Venice....

Sounds like a wise and thoughtful point of view, a la Matthew 5:15-16.

Punki,

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned, if you do not book with the agency that is booking the reunion, you will not be included in their hosted cocktail parties, or other functions. Of course you will see others on board the ship, but chances are unless you crash the parties (which I am not advocating), you will not be invited.

Not saying this makes up the difference in the prices you have found, but do take it under consideration. Find out what parties, functions, etc. the host agency is planning on.

And, I love balcony cabins anywhere I travel, but can do without if need be. BUT in Alaska, I think they should be mandatory!

Have a great trip!

Denice

Archived