Vatican ??? for past users of Romeinlimo, please

eandj

RIL questions re Vatican..

If using RIL for Rome, did you order your Vatican tickets thru the Vatican site (18 e) , thus saving about $20 per couple... or... did you have RIL order your tickets at 25euro? (Jany said it was fine to order thru the internet. )

About what time do they get you to the Vatican and how long did you get to tour there on your own?

Did you reserve a Vatican tour guide either thru RIL or on your own? Advisable?

If not doing a Vatican tour, if we have prearranged tickets, do we still wait in longer lines?

What time were you picked up and arrive in Rome?

Did they take you to the Catacombs, or was that something that takes a great deal of time away from the Vatican afternoon? It appears most of you didn't do the Catacombs?

What time did you head back to you ship?

Thanks for you help. :)

If using RIL for Rome, did you order your Vatican tickets thru the Vatican site (18 e) , thus saving about $20 per couple... or... did you have RIL order your tickets at 25euro? (Jany said it was fine to order thru the internet. )

About what time do they get you to the Vatican and how long did you get to tour there on your own?

If not doing a Vatican tour, if we have prearranged tickets, do we still wait in longer lines?

Did they take you to the Catacombs, or was that something that takes a great deal of time away from the Vatican afternoon? It appears most of you didn't do the Catacombs?

Hope you're ready for a great tour. We used RIL last October for our Rome tour and had a great time. We were picked up at 8 AM at the port by Duman, our driver. A little over an hour ride to Rome which was filled with all kinds of info about Rome and its history. All at 70 mph. After a morning of touring the Colliseum and several other highlights Duman left us off for lunch at a restaurant across the street from the entrance to Vatican City. We didn't purchase tickets beforehand, we got them when we entered Vatican City. So I can't answer your questions about prepurchasing tickets. We entered the Vatican around 1 PM. There were no lines and we entered right away. Apparently most of the lines are in the morning and the afternoon is less croded. Easier to maneuver around the grounds. Duman lined up a tour guide for us, Mary, who was excellent also. We didn't get to see the Catacombs which would be another tour I'm sure. Next time we will. But our tour was great and was one of the highlights of our trip to Europe. We left the Vatican around 4:30 I believe and we back aboard our ship before 6 PM.

First of all, it all depends on when you arrive in Civitavecchia and when you planned your tour with RomeinLimo. They will be right at the gate waiting for you when you get off the ship. You will also need to tell them when you need to be back on the ship. They do MANY tours with ALL the ships that come in. The worst thing to do is assume that they know your schedule. Make sure they are aware of it beforehand. They never miss a ship. But just make sure you take some responsibility for your port time.

I HIGHLY suggest a guide for the Vatican Museum. It really depends on how much you are into art and art history... but for our family, we are very much into it all. It is not just a religious place, the Vatican Museum has so many works of art. We have been through this museum 3 times now... this last time, just this May, we had a private guide scheduled and I can tell you that it is worth every penny. I can't put into words how huge this museum is and it is so incredible to have someone be able to tell you what you are looking at. The works inside this museum are just amazing!

We have never been to the Catacombs in Rome. There are just too many things to do when you only have a day.

And, no... if you get a private guide, you will not wait in the long line into the Vatican.

Just remember... the GREATEST thing about a private tour with Romeinlimo (or anyone for that matter) is that you can set your time. If the Vatican Museum is going to be your "thing" more than something else... tell them you want more time there. It's OK to do.

Have a great day in Rome with Romeinlimo. You will be in good hands.

We had RiL arrange he whole thing for us. They arranged our guide Julia for us, she is awesome! She was an art history major and told us so much, it wouldn't be the same experience without here. We arrived around 1-1:30ish I think where Duman met us to say hello and Julia walk us to the cash register were we purchased tickets (i don't remember how much they were). I want to say we had about 3-3.5 hours there, I think we left at 4:30 to go to the ship. I would strongly recommend requesting Julia from Jany, you won't be sorry.

Be aware that the 2nd RIL van also had a guide for the Vatican but they didn't go into the St. Peter's Basilica, which is unacceptable to me, that was the highlight of the tour for us. So be aware of the time and tell the guide that you want to ensure you spend time at St. Peter's Bascilica. Or better yet, just request Julia :-)

We didn't see the catacombs either, in fact we wish we had more time in the Vatican. We got picked up at 8am.

• 11 months later...

We just got back from our Med Cruise and used RIL for 3 ports.

We had asked to see the Catacombs and we were able to fit that in as well as everything else we wanted to see.

We arranged the Vatican guide through Jany and we got our tickets when we arrived there. We spent about 2.5 hours there with Alberto our guide.

We were picked up at 8am and returned to the ship just after 5pm.

We saw the Catacombs, Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Forum,

Piazza Navona, and the Vatican (Sistene Chapel and St. Peters)

You'll be in good hands with RIL and they will arrange your day to suit you.

D

while we havn't toured yet, to answer your first question -

After reviewing the RIL website for the upteempth time, I noticed they now have a link to the Vatican website. I asked Jany about this and her reply was that the Vatican now charges tour companies more money to pre-purchase the tickets, so RIL now suggests that you do so in advance and save yourselve some Euro's. I was advised as to which ticket to buy, and what time.

We purchased our tickets online directly with the Vatican, and plan on a wonderful trip with RIL. Incidentally, we also have hired a private guide with RIL for the Vatican tour, and the info to pre-purchase is the same if you did not have the guide, as per Jany.

Hope this helps!

Archived