Liberty Eastern June 20-any questions?

ginal

Been on vacation for several weeks and can now answer questions. We did the snorkel on HMC, Private snorkel on St. Thomas, toured San Juan forts and shopping on our own, did the aqua boat snorkel on Grand Turks. Loved the ship-most relaxing vacation in years-cabin steward and waiter were fantastic. Will write more later-Oh yes we were part of the group that Carnival held the ship for!!!!

Been on vacation for several weeks and can now answer questions. We did the snorkel on HMC, Private snorkel on St. Thomas, toured San Juan forts and shopping on our own, did the aqua boat snorkel on Grand Turks. Loved the ship-most relaxing vacation in years-cabin steward and waiter were fantastic. Will write more later-Oh yes we were part of the group that Carnival held the ship for!!!!

Was the HMC snorkel on your own or an excursion and how was it? In San Juan, where exactly was the best shopping and did you eat anywhere there? Thanks for any info:D

We used Jolly Mon. 3 hours $75 a person. sail type boat. 2 person crew. Max of 6 passengers. went to snorkel with turtles ---we had about 2 hours in the water. Lots of the ships Party boats go here-but we only had 4 and one of the crew went snorkeling with us and brought up a sea urchin we could hold. Great trip! http://www.jollymonstthomas.com WE sailed with Sarah -she is the daughter- who has been on the water her whole life.

HMC is a gorgeous island. We took the Carnival snorkel because it is the ONLY one available. This was the best snorkel of the trip (and the cheapest). You went around the bend from the ship and snorkel in pretty shallow water off the boat. The fans were purple! Fish were plentiful. The boat did not take hoards and plenty of area of to snorkel by yourself. If you are only going to snorkel at one port---this is the one! (we snorkeled at St. Thomas ($75) and Grand Turks($99) One the way back awesome pics of the ship. NO frills on the boat-so take a bottle of water to drink when finish snorkeling. We were on the first tender to the island-walked around and putted in the water for about an hour-then went on the first snorkel excurision-then came back-had a lesiurley lunch-putted in the water a little more-and jumped a 2pm tender to the ship. Tender lines get crowed so we started early and finished a little early.

Loved this island. We taxied to El Morro first thing in the morning-hopped a free shuttle to the other fort- then walked shopping. The shopping is pretty much contained to one long street and a few side streets with 3 vendor shopping areas. It did get a little crowed in the afternoon-but that was fine. We ate at Hard Rock Cafe and got the required T shirt-nice place to take a break out of the heat. Senor Frogs was rocking when we went there for a T shirt. They also have McDonalds, Subway, etc that we saw. They had a Marshals, several top brand name outlet stores-Coachs-etc-but I didn't go in those. I liked the shopping on San Juan MUCH better than St. Thomas. If you want cigs-that's St. Thomas. Alchol on San Juan is in the Port building upstairs and no one will tell you that....watch the signs.

I have a question about the private island. Do you remember about what time the tender line started to get crowded to leave and go back to the ship. We have a 3 and 5 year old, so we'll probably try to head back early to avoid the masses!

I don't recall the line ever getting too crowded for the tender at HMC. It moves very quickly anyway since the tenders run non-stop all day - at least that's what they did when we sailed on Holland America. They will never leave until the very last passenger is boarded, so take your time.

Monogolian grill station had 2 lines...but when we went it was always crowded and we were in a hurry so my husband went to the WOW they would build you a burrito line and I found other stuff-like fresh fruit. The Mongolian grill looked great-really wanted to try it-but we just couldn't fit it in. They had many different stations-fish, sandwiches, burritos, grill, buffet of the day (Italian, American, Chocolate), etc.....so much food and so little time to eat it alllll.

With your age little ones, I would try to be in the first groups off the ship..that way it is early and not so hot. You meet in the Venetian lounge and then board the tender. I would take cheap blow-ups to sit or play in-and some plastic shovels and pails. There is plenty of shady spots all day. The food is a hamburger grill with deserts. We saw the tenders get crowded the later it got(we had a balcony room and could watch). When we left a little after 2 the beach was packed....which meant in less than 2 hours everyone had to back on board. The area to get on the tender has NO shade and cement underfoot--so you can imagine how hot it gets. No way to see how long the line is getting from the beach either-so I would plan on packing up and tendering around 2. If you get on the beach right at 9 am-that gives you plenty of time.

-----Also, Grand Turks has the same set up with the beach and shade right as you get off the ship, only no tender just walk. So you can reuse all the beach toys for the kids.

Monogolian grill station had 2 lines...but when we went it was always crowded and we were in a hurry so my husband went to the WOW they would build you a burrito line and I found other stuff-like fresh fruit. The Mongolian grill looked great-really wanted to try it-but we just couldn't fit it in. They had many different stations-fish, sandwiches, burritos, grill, buffet of the day (Italian, American, Chocolate), etc.....so much food and so little time to eat it alllll.

We are going on the Liberty Aug. 29th and I am wondering about the how people dressed for dinner in the MDR. There is a thread about men wearing shorts to dinner that has alot of different opinions about whether it is appropriate and since you just went I wish you would let me know if men did indead wear dress shorts to dinner. We have cruised 20+ times and this time we are trying to pack light because we are taking 3 grandchildren, so any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know what your observation was for the elegant nights as far as what the men were wearing (tux, suit, slacks and nice shirt?) Thank You so much.

We did Early Seating Main Dining Room. We had wonderful wait staff who were very attentve. The Liberty has 2 seperate dining rooms - the one in the Middle of the ship was Anytime and the one at the back was Main Dining. The only thing I can tell about anytime was that one time we noticed the Line to get in was LONGGGG---snaked down the hall and the staircase. I felt sorry for the families with kids.

We were on the second tier at the back of the ship so could watch the sunset as we dined. The Capers now states "Casual Dress" and "Elegant Night". I took a black pantsuit with a change of tops for Casual and was overdressed. I took a chiffon type black formal pantsuit for Elegant and was overdressed. Elegant now means Sunday type clothes- some of the men did not have on Jackets. My husband dropped the tie the 2nd Elegant night. My black pantsuit would have been fine for Elegant night. Casual was Capris and sundresses. I did not see shorts except for the one lady who had her bathing suit under her shorts and was rather dismayed at this. My husband is a Texas jeans guy-so that is what he wore each night. To be honest it was much more laid back than in the past, but the room is so elegant and the waiters are dressed-so shorts might seem too casual. Definitly would not bring an evening gown and will leave the suit jacket at home next time. A tie and button down shirt for a guy or nice polo would be okay. I understand on the packing-so we just reused our "Dining Attire" more than once.

Since the beach is white sand the snorkeling from the beach is NO. People have posted that the went way down the beach and found some fish....but I am not sure where. Pay the $49 each if you can and enjoy the fish snorkeling off the boat. We have snorkeled quiet a few places in the Caribbean and Hawaii-and found this to be one of our favorites. It was a pleasant surprise and the boat ride was only about 15 minute(right around the corner) with great pics of the ship on the way back.

We used Carnival's aqua boats $99--a little pricy unless you just want to enjoy riding the boats. We stopped 2 places. One in the middle of the ocean-little hard to reenter the boat and one on a beach. If I did it again-I would hope a taxi to Pillory beach(the beach we went too) and enjoy snorkeling right off the beach there. They have potties, bar, shade etc. Lots cheaper and tons of fish.

Archived