Getting Euro's/Lira's Onboard Solstice

celebrityoctober

Hello There! I am hoping that someone can answer my question on converting US dollars to USD to Euro's/Lira's on Solstice? Do they cash travelers check's? What are the fee's to cash the travelers checks or to use the ATM's?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions:).

You might search this question in "Ask a cruise question"

The cheapest way we've found to get foreign money is to us our Cap one card at ATMs. They have a good eschange rate, and no fee. There is one on almost every corner in Italy, Greece, and other places.

You can phone your credit card company to inquire about fees.

Hello There! I am hoping that someone can answer my question on converting US dollars to USD to Euro's/Lira's on Solstice? Do they cash travelers check's? What are the fee's to cash the travelers checks or to use the ATM's?

They do take Travelers Cheques, and there is no fee to cash them. You can change dollars for Euros at the Guest Services Desk on Solstice, but there fess are higher than ATMs. A better way, though is to find a local US bank with low/no ATM and/or International Service Fess, open an account, and use your ATM card, which you will have no problem finding.

BTW, Italy no longer uses the Lira, but is on the Euro like most European countries.

The most economical way to get Euro/Lira is from bank ATM's in the ports you visit. You can exchange Dollars into Euro/Lira onboard Solstice, but the exchange rate will not be favorable. Solstice will cash your traveler's checks for free, but why do you need Dollars in Europe? Your shipboard tips will be automatically paid on your shipboard account. The only reason for using Dollars onboard the ship would be for tipping for room service.

There is an ATM onboard the ship that dispenses Dollars for $6 per transaction. Not a good deal.

Bottom line in my opinion is to get off the ship and head to a Bank ATM to get your foreign currency. Let your bank at home do the conversion. Be sure to check ahead of time with your bank on their fees/conversion rates as the European Bank ATM's do not charge you a fee to use them -- just YOUR bank fees will apply to any transaction.

If you get off the ship and hop into a taxi, the driver will be more than happy to take you by a Bank on the way to wherever you are going.

You are right, we are traveling to Turkey, which is why I need Lira currency. We are also needing to pay for several private excursion while traveling and I really do not (and won't) carry that much cash with me. I also do not want to spend a small fortune paying conversion/ATM fees either.

You have all provided me with lots of options to consider and look into...Capital One sounds interesting.

These CC boards are great!

Jody

That didn't even dawn on me...I just learned something, as I was not aware that Turkey also used the Lira.

YTL is the New Turkish Lira, and is totally different currency to the old Italian Lira that was in use before Italy swapped to the € in 1999.

It is the New Turkish Lira as it has been rebased - there were about a Million lira to the US$ before!

As you leave the ship and port in Istanbul you are right on a main road that has a dozen banks all with ATMs. The tram runs down the middle of this same road and will take you to the main sights in a few stops for about US$1 per ride.

ATM's are the way to go. We initally get some Euros at the airport when we arrive. When more are needed it's easy to find an ATM. We have never had a problem finding one. Our ATM card is through our brokerage account. This allows us to exchange money at the highest exchange rate for the date of the exchange and also with no ATM charges or currency exchange fees.

Earlier this year when we were in Turkey we never made any currency exchange for their Lira and never had a problem using the Euro.

ATM's are the way to go. We initally get some Euros at the airport when we arrive. When more are needed it's easy to find an ATM. We have never had a problem finding one. Our ATM card is through our brokerage account. This allows us to exchange money at the highest exchange rate for the date of the exchange and also with no ATM charges or currency exchange fees.

Earlier this year when we were in Turkey we never made any currency exchange for their Lira and never had a problem using the Euro.

Not sure if you were in Kusadasi- if so, do you recall if the entrance fees for Ephesus and Terrace Houses could be paid in euros or US dollars? Trying to avoid getting Liras!

Thanks.

Not sure if you were in Kusadasi- if so, do you recall if the entrance fees for Ephesus and Terrace Houses could be paid in euros or US dollars? Trying to avoid getting Liras!

Thanks.

Can't help you on this one. We didn't visit the Terrace Houses.

Archived