Portland, Maine things to do

graymadeb

We're sailing the September 19th Carnival Triumph - stopping in Portland on Monday, September 21st. Posted this on our roll-call - but thought others might benefit from the information.

Our local newspaper - Arizona Republic in their travel section has an article about Portland, Maine. Some of the sights / websites they suggest checking out are:

1. Best way to see the famed rocky coast and island is from the water....best deal through www.cascobaylines.com, a ferry service linking Portland to six islands in Casco Bay. ticket range $8.20-$12.05 (summer rates) half price for children and seniors.

2. 20 minutes south of Portland, - oceanside town Old Orchard Beach - www.oldorchardbeachmaine.com honky-tonk feel, food stands, arcades, carnival rides, waterslides. Major attraction - wide sandy beach. Has a pier that dates to 1898 that juts nearly 500 feel into the water, home to shops, restaurants and a nightclub.

3. Best view in Portland can be found atop the historic Eastland Park Hotel - www.eastlandparkhotel.com where the Top of the East lounge offers 360 degree views. For the price of a drink, you can sit on comfortable couches or at tables and take in panoramic vistas of Portland Harbor, downtown and the suburbs and countryside to the west. On a clear day you can see New Hampshire's Mount Washington, the tallest mountain in the Northeast.

Things to do:

1. No shortage of lighthouses in the Portland area. Start off with Portland Head Light www.portlandheadlight.com - in Cape Elizabeth's Fort Williams Park, a short drive from Portland......most photographed place in Maine. Museum charges $2 for adults and $1 for children. After seeing the light house, you can hike the park's cliff walk, explore the remains of old forts or skip stones on the rock beack. Other nearby light-houses include the Two Lights lighthouses in Cape Elizabeth and the Spring Point and Portland Breakwater lighthouses in South Portland.

2. The Longfellow House - www.mainehistory.org - is where Henry Wadsworth Longfellow grew up in downtown Portland in the early 19th century. Tickets $8 for adults , $7 for senior citizens and students, & $3 for children.

3. Portland Museaum of Art - www.portlandmuseum.org $10 for adults.

4. Greater Portland Landmarks - www.portlandlandmarks.org offers guided waking tours ($10) that explore the various architectural styles in Portland. Or you can take self-guided tours using four maps available free from their website.

Dining: Becky's Diner, www.beckysdiner.com. Waterfront dining.

no frills Gilbert's Chowder House www.gilbertschowderhouse.com - can eat on on a patio overlooking the harbor...5 types of chowder which you can order in a bread bowl.

20 minutes north of Portland - South Freeport - you can eat your seafood on picnic tables along the water's edge at Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster - www.harraseeketlunchandlobster.com and take in the postcard-perfect view of the harbor. Owner buys lobsters straight from the boats. BYO alcoholic bevereges.

I'm going to check into renting a car. Enterprise will pick you up and cars can be rented from under $50 a day. Then the three of us can do our own thing for a lot less than the ships shore excursions....maybe doing some of the above suggestions.

Just had lunch at Harraseeket last weekend. Great authentic seafood - rustic environment.

Another great option is to rent the car and drive south. Kennebunkport is only about 30 minutes south - use exit 9 off I-95. Lots of great dining and shopping. It won't disappoint.

Hi, I live in Portland and think most of the suggestions of things to do (see above) are good. I would not spend the time at Old Orchard beach, kind of tacky, although they have great french fries (pier fries). You would need a car to go there from Portland.

If I had to recommend a day in Portland and vicinity, this would be it.

1. Have Enterprise pick you up at dock.

2. Get a car with a GPS.

3. Go to Portland Head Light (15 min from dock) From there, go to Two Lights.(15 min from PHL) Have a lobster roll at the Lobster Shack which is right there.

4. Head to Freeport for outlet shopping and, of course, LLbean. Freeport is 25 min north of Portland. OR

5. Go south down 95 to Kennebunkport. Sweet town to walk around and see the Bush estate if you are into that. Go to Cape Porpoise on way back. Rt.9

6. Ditch the car and walk up and down Exchange St. (5 min from ship).Great boutiques.

7. In Old Port eat at Gilbert's, cheap, but great. or Walter's on ExchangeSt.

8. When ship sails out of harbor, stay outside on Starboard side to see Portland Head Light. (1/2 hour at most).

Lastly, be sure you eat lobster. lobster rolls, lobster steamed,

lobster salad! Have fun in our great town.

We will be in Portland for the first time on the Jewel of the Seas on Sept. 20, 2009, one day before you, Debbie. (Hi, we are in Surprise!) I had just come to look up info on Portland and here it is!! Thanks for the posts, Debbie and Donder.

We will check the car rental idea too, but I also wanted to know if anyone recommended a tour company? We like the ship's excursion to the 3 lighthouses, but figured we could do it cheaper on our own (there will be 3 of us) and save time by not being on a bus with 45 other people.

Bookmarking this thread as I type!! Thanks!!!

Last year, my DH and I rented a car from Hertz. We were in Portland on Sunday. They come to the pier as soon as the ship docks until like 9:30 and deliver the car and keys. Once you return it you park it like one block down from the pier and leave the keys in a lock box right on the entrance to the pier. You have to call the downtown Porland office directly to make the reservation at 207-797-7156. They day we were there was raining but we went to two lighthouses and they were easy to find. This year if the weather cooperates we are going to drive down to Kennebunkport. I ahve not called yet but hopefully they are doing the same thing this year.

Enjoy your trip.

Just a thought. The lighthouses from Portland dock are very close by (15-20 min at most.) The most important one to see is Portland Headlight. This is a perfect place to have a picnic if you drive on your own. Taking a big bus would be just ok. Going on your own much more fun. You could pick up lobster rolls along the way. Fun! Two Lights is a short drive from there. Ask anyone or use GPS. The Lobster Shack there has fantastic seafood and glorious views. Both have lots of picnic tables, small beaches, too.;)

Just spoke to the car rental location recommended and was told that the area manager negotiates that Sunday deal with the City of Portland and that has not been done yet, nor is there any guarantee that they will do this. It was suggested I call back mid-August. :confused:

So we are at a stalemate for making any more plans for Portland right now. Well, actually, we know we want to see some lighthouses in the AM, just not sure whether by Ship's bus or rental car. And we will check out the Narrow Gauge RR and the Old Port in the afternoon.

Archived