Let's Talk Fishing........

cruzin4us

My DH and myself are doing a 2 day fishing charter in Homer. The first day is for halibut and the second day is for halibut & salmon.

I'm a fisherwomen at heart, and I just want to talk fishing.....Fish stories, fish tales, the one that got away, what would you do differently, etc.

What to expect with regards to halibut fishing. Will we catch other fish while fishing for halibut? I would love to catch a lingcod.

Let's talk fish......Please post anything and everything about fishing......I want to read about it :D

My DH and myself are doing a 2 day fishing charter in Homer. The first day is for halibut and the second day is for halibut & salmon.

I'm a fisherwomen at heart, and I just want to talk fishing.....Fish stories, fish tales, the one that got away, what would you do differently, etc.

What to expect with regards to halibut fishing. Will we catch other fish while fishing for halibut? I would love to catch a lingcod.

Let's talk fish......Please post anything and everything about fishing......I want to read about it :D

I don't fish as a general rule. DH is a hard core hunter and fisherman. We also spend a lot of time in Homer (we co-own a condo). You might want to take a look at this trip if you are into a lot of fish to take home. It is the one fishing trip I will do every year-really enjoyable for me and we usually end up with somewhere close to 200 pounds of halibut to take home. http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm

A lot of your Homer fishing success depends on when you are going. The halibut are always there and very easy to catch (I have never had to spend more than an hour to catch my limit no matter the season). But salmon-a whole 'nother ball game. The Kings are essentially done this time of year, the reds are at the end of their season and the silvers (who fight like h***) haven't come in quite yet. You really don't need a boat to go salmon fishing in Homer. The Homer Fishing Hole is loaded with silvers in season. You can rent poles, buy bait and boots directly across the road at the sporting goods shop on the board walk. Nice cleaning tables, bathrooms, etc. And just north of Homer, around Deep Creek, is very good bank fishing for silvers. DH NEVER ocean fishes for salmon. You may want to hire a guide to take you bank fishing. DH usually hires this guy for the first day he is in Homer, to get the "lay of the land". what they are biting on, etc. http://silverfinguides.com/

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the info! That is an interesting suggestion about hiring a guide for fishing for salmon off the bank. I just assumed it would be much better in a boat.....Now I have to reconsider what I was planning on doing..argh

Here's another question for you. Does your DH fish for lingcod as well? That was another option (a halibut/lingcod) day trip.

I seriously wanted to do the overnighter, but DH was more reluctant. He is afraid of getting seasick :( However, I'm game!

So many decisions!!! We are planning on being Homer Aug. 2nd - 4th. I heard the silvers should be in at that time (fingers crossed).

My favorite fish for eating is halibut, but now that I've found a super salmon recipe, I'm hoping to get some of them too!

In Homer we have often caught lingcod (actually quite large ones) while out halibut fishing. We have also caught rock cod, octopus, skate and another fish that I would have loved for dinner (can't remember the name) but I got overruled and we cut that up for bait. We have often been out halibut fishing and caugh silvers before the weight got to the bottom. Since the halibut poles are quite heavy for me, I prefer to have a lighter pole out for other things.

Janice

In Homer we have often caught lingcod (actually quite large ones) while out halibut fishing. We have also caught rock cod, octopus, skate and another fish that I would have loved for dinner (can't remember the name) but I got overruled and we cut that up for bait. We have often been out halibut fishing and caugh silvers before the weight got to the bottom. Since the halibut poles are quite heavy for me, I prefer to have a lighter pole out for other things.

Janice

Thanks Janice!

I'm really hoping to catch some lingcod and rock cod. I didn't realize you may catch silvers before the weight hits the bottom. I thought they were only caught via trolling.

I could fish everyday and miss the cruise........my DH on the other hand :)

Hi Laurie, you sound like my kind of girl. Just as an FYI, greatam is a wonderful source of information. We will be going a little later than you and ended up going to a fishing lodge where we will be fishing for rainbow on the upper Kenai. Then we will be doing our Silver fishing around Seward. All this before getting on a Southbound out Seward on the Radiance.

Thanks Janice!

I thought they were only caught via trolling.

I could fish everyday and miss the cruise........my DH on the other hand :)

The silvers could have been quite thick and halibut tackle isn't quite the equipment you want to silvers, but the point being they were biting as soon, or snagged as soon as the bait was dropped in the water. Once we caught the first two silvers this way, we switched poles.

You should consider just an inland Alaskan trip with plenty of fishing. There is enough for your husband to do without ever getting on a cruise ship. My first cruise was just last year and I had been to Alaska at least 16 other trips for a minimum of a month to six weeks each. Luckily for me my best friend lives in Alaskas. We have gone to Valdez fishing for 4-5 day stretches and just had a ball.

Janice

The silvers could have been quite thick and halibut tackle isn't quite the equipment you want to silvers, but the point being they were biting as soon, or snagged as soon as the bait was dropped in the water. Once we caught the first two silvers this way, we switched poles.

You should consider just an inland Alaskan trip with plenty of fishing. There is enough for your husband to do without ever getting on a cruise ship. My first cruise was just last year and I had been to Alaska at least 16 other trips for a minimum of a month to six weeks each. Luckily for me my best friend lives in Alaskas. We have gone to Valdez fishing for 4-5 day stretches and just had a ball.

Janice

We will probably do an inland land tour next time. My dad goes fishing every year outside of Sitka and just has a ball. We did the cruise thing on the spur of the moment. Inside cabins were $339pp, so we thought, "what the heck". We are toodling around for 1 week before the cruise (3 days in Homer/Kenai area.

I'm so used to fishing and catching pretty much nothing, it's going to be a real treat to actually catch some fish!

Thanks to both of you that have contributed to my little thread :D

We will probably do an inland land tour next time. My dad goes fishing every year outside of Sitka and just has a ball. We did the cruise thing on the spur of the moment. Inside cabins were $339pp, so we thought, "what the heck". We are toodling around for 1 week before the cruise (3 days in Homer/Kenai area.

I'm so used to fishing and catching pretty much nothing, it's going to be a real treat to actually catch some fish!

Thanks to both of you that have contributed to my little thread :D

ummmmm there have been 3 of us :o;) LOL

Archived