HMC June 2009 Liberty

ginal

We were on the first tender off the ship(9am) and the island was deserted-so we got to enjoy the beach without a lot of people. We swam in the water and walked around a bit before our snorkel excursion ($49). The excursion was 10:30-12:00but the boat left at 10:20-so get there a little early. You can snorkel from the beach-but there are NO fish because it is white sand. The snorkeling was fantastic-only bring your own water to drink on the way back because this is definitly not a Party boat. The location to snorkel is just around the island but the water was a little swelly(not choppy-but rolling waves). One older gentlemen could not seem to snorkel, so he got back on the boat. The fish were amazing and the fans were purple. Plenty of area to get away from others and see a lot of fish. Some of the best snorkeling we have ever done. When we got back to the island we headed for the buffet. Plenty of grilled hamburgers, fixin's, and deserts. They have shaded picnic table areas all around to eat. If you have a drink card-take it with you to get free Sodas. Tea-lemonaide free like on ship---Bar to buy mixed drinks and beer. There are lots and lots of loungers, plenty of shade. Two different roped off areas to swim in. Water does get deep -over your head- out near the ropes. They charge for floatie type mats...You might want to pay $2 and bring one from home. The further you get from the main area the less people. We found shade and loungers near the bathroom, a clean water rinse shower, and down from the buffet. According to these Boards the tenders lines get long in the afternoon, so we headed back to the ship about 2pm and walked right on a tender. The area to wait for the tenders is cement and NO shade....so it could be miserable waiting for a tender in the heat. Shopping venders in little cabanas were all in one area...but nothing worth buying compared to the other ports you will visit. CAUTION--people were FRIED-RED-SUNBURNED. This is a white sand beach and crystal clear water-it seemed a shame to ruin a vacation with a sunburn on the first day. We never use sunscreen-but sprayed it on twice at HMC-just to be safe. This is a relaxing day to spend on a gorgeous beach. If you have little ones...take shovels and sand pail. Older ones a blow up air mattress. We did not feel we needed to rent a Cabana or a Clam shell--so much shade is available under the trees-why waste money. You can visit the buffet as much as you like-so plenty to eat. IF you have a question-I will try to answer.

Can not access water from island that I would have tried. $49 is pretty cheap compared to $75 on St. Thomas and $99 on Grand Turks---especially since we felt it was a really Great Snorkel

Ginal,

Thank you for your post. You have given me EXACTLY the information that I was looking for when we go to HMC in November. My wife and I are looking forward to snorkeling in the Caribbean and per your description this sounds ideal for us.

Bob

Archived