First Time Cruiser Dawn 7/5/09 What's Hot? What's Not?

Redbird54

Having just returned from my first cruise I had some expectations – some based on what I had read on Cruise Critic. Overall I was very pleased with my initial cruise experience and look forward to future excursions. Though I may not be qualified to judge the Dawn as compared to other cruise lines, as a first time cruiser I will share my thoughts about what I liked and was not crazy about the NCL Dawn.

HOT

• The entertainment – especially Bernie Martini. I just loved his rich melodic voice. He was personable, receptive to our requests and very cute. We spent many an hour in the Gatsby Lounge (which I found one of the most comfortable spots on the ship) listening to him. I also enjoyed the comedic talents of Dave Heenan; particularly his adult show. The Jean Ann Ryan dancers’ production of South Beach was very enjoyable. I so love a good Sumba

• The Tranquility Room at the Spa – I treated my older daughter and me to the weekly membership at the El Dorado Spa. We really enjoyed the private hot tubs (hardly ever crowded) and the lap pool. But what we both truly loved was the Tranquility Room. This sound proof room has soft cushy lounge chairs and provides a quiet spot to read or reflect on the Atlantic. The view through several giant window panes facing the back of the ship is amazing.

• The dining experience – OK so I admit I will eat almost everything and I didn’t have any complaints about the food. I eat breakfast in both the Venetian and at the Garden Café and I liked the variety of choices available at both. I particularly liked having a cappuccino for breakfast every morning. Lunches were pretty casual for us and we skipped them more often than not, grabbing a snack later on at the Blue Lagoon (my daughter’s favorite spot). My older daughter liked getting her lunch from room service which she enjoyed. We had dinner twice at the specialty restaurants (Salsa & Bamboo/Sushi), once at Aqua and the remaining days at the Venetian. To sum up when you are paying extra, the service and food are very good to exceptional. When you are eating in the main dining rooms or free specialty restaurants the food choices, although limited (see my not list), are good. I particularly liked the baked shrimp appetizer and seafood platter at the Venetian. I had no problem with the service.

• Towel Animals – I established a relationship with my Steward at the appearance of my first towel animal the swan (I told her how much I loved it and gave her a small gratuity). That ensured a towel animal in my cabin each night and I really got a kick out of them. My steward was always friendly and accommodating. I was pleased that our cabin was very clean and always had fresh towels.

• The Bus/Ferry service in Bermuda – Clearly the best deal for getting around the island. For $20 for two days per person, we were able to go wherever we wanted. I opted to take the bus back from Hamilton because I wanted to see the beaches and how people lived and I found the hour excursion well worth the time.

• The Catamaran Snorkel Excursion – This is the only excursion I booked thru NCL (I booked Dolphin Quest on my own) and I was glad I did. The catamaran picked us up on the pier right next to the ship. The Fantasea crew was informative, funny and kept us occupied with an additional complementary run swizzle when it began to rain on the way back to the dock. The coral reef we snorkeled at was fantastic – lots of fish and coral to explore. Fantasea provided the mask, fins and noodles which were used as flotation devices. We had over an hour to snorkel and we truly enjoyed it. We went on this excursion our last day in Bermuda. No worries about getting back to the dockyard on time.

NOT

1. The terminal in NYC was a mad house. Security was rude treating people like cattle, not paying guests. Once through security, check-in went quickly and we boarded quickly.

2. The cabin is very small. I chose an inside cabin because I wanted to save money to go on excursions and eat at the specialty restaurants but I was surprised how small our sleeping accommodations were. We were three in the room and I slept under the fold down bed. There was no headroom and despite the fact I initially folded up the top bed upon getting up in the morning; it was always pulled down when the beds were made up. After a few days I gave up and sat on the single chair provided.

3. They ran out of cheesecake too early at the Blue Lagoon.

4. The Oasis pool area is lovely, but it is impossible to find a chair on sea days. It's a shame they don't turn the T-Rex pool area into another adult option. Additionally lounge chairs on the promenade would be a welcome addition.

5. The crowds getting into the Aqua Restaurant. The one day we dined here I thought there was going to be a riot getting into the restaurant. One small door and too many people trying to get in a one time. There should be a guide rope (like at the airport) which orderly guides diners into the restaurant. Also there should be improvement on the check-in for non-reservation has not been made in the main dining rooms. Someone I met onboard suggested beepers like you get at chain restaurants like the Olive Garden. I think that’s a good idea as it would clear congestion and eliminate the need to check in every half hour with the hostess.

6. Both my girls are vegetarians and there were not enough vegetarian options on the menus for the main restaurants. I did arrange for a special menu for them (although I found out had to be ordered 24 hours in advance) but the choices weren’t too appealing. My suggestion would be to add a vegetarian dish to the chef’s specials for the day.

In summary I enjoyed my time on the Dawn. I think it is a very good first cruise line to experience. I really did like the flexibility in my choice of dining times and companions (I dined with several different groups of people) and the option of dressing more formally for dinner or not. I most likely will cruise on NCL again but after talking to others think I would like to experience another cruise line next to judge for myself.

Hi and glad to hear you mostly enjoyed your cruise! We are going on Aug. 9th and were interested in the Dolphin Quest. Who did you book through and if you don't mind can you tell me how much and for how long? It is very expensive, especially for a family of 4.... Thanks.

Hi and glad to hear you mostly enjoyed your cruise! We are going on Aug. 9th and were interested in the Dolphin Quest. Who did you book through and if you don't mind can you tell me how much and for how long? It is very expensive, especially for a family of 4.... Thanks.

I booked directly with Dolphin Quest. Their URL is http://dolphinquest.org. Click on the Bermuda destination. I booked the Encounter - 30 minutes in-water interactive. The price was a bit less expensive than booking through NCL. $230 per person. My kids participated, I stayed on dry land watching their enjoyment and snapping pictures.

We'll be on the Dawn on August 16. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your initial cruise experience. Just one quick question - how much was the spa pass, and what do you get for it? Thanks! :)

Spa facilities for the week were $90 per person or $150 per week. Treatments are separate. Also consider taking advantage of the great deals the spa offers on destination docking days and Saturday prior to arriving back at NYC. My friend got a 20-20-20 (facial, head,scalp & neck massage & reflexology) for $90 and purchased an entire day in the spa facility for $10

Archived