How young is too young?

davewilliamt

Oh, good GRIEF, people! Seriously? SERIOUSLY?????

Some (like myself) might argue that YOU don't need to be there.

Calm down. There's no need to be like this. It's just a discussion.

And if the OP didn't want people's opinions, he wouldn't have asked.

To the OP - You know what you enjoy, what your children enjoy, and their temperments. Your kids are no more likely to get deathly ill on a cruise ship than they are at a local restaurant. The only thing hindering you is Carnival's age restrictions. If you want to go, by all means, DO SO!!

How do you know that the OP wanted to take the kids? The question didn't imply that he thought he couldn't or shouldn't. Plus he hasn't chimed back in yet. So we don't know how he'll react to the responses thus far.

Besides, the OP's a Dad. My guess is that it's not an emotional decision as much as weighing his options, pro/cons, etc.

How do you know that the OP wanted to take the kids? The question didn't imply that he thought he couldn't or shouldn't. Plus he hasn't chimed back in yet. So we don't know how he'll react to the responses thus far.

Besides, the OP's a Dad. My guess is that it's not an emotional decision as much as weighing his options, pro/cons, etc.

Have you ever heard/read that telling someone to "calm down" generally has the opposite effect? Just curious.

You are correct, the OP did ask for opinions. He got some very diverse and interesting opinions, and I am anxious to see his response.

Oh, and yeah, I forgot that Dads don't become emotionally involved in decisions. Thanks for reminding me. :rolleyes:

Originally it was going to be a large family cruise, but b/c of the hard 6month rule it looks like it would just be my wife and our kids.

We are going on a cruise without them in September, but would like to do something as a family over the spring break period. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone who cruises over normal school holiday periods being upset about kids on the ship, seems like its par for the course.

I don't know if kids are more of an annoyance than a drunk, or jeans on a formal night, but I think this issue splits along the same lines as some of the other taboos.

Originally it was going to be a large family cruise, but b/c of the hard 6month rule it looks like it would just be my wife and our kids.

We are going on a cruise without them in September, but would like to do something as a family over the spring break period. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone who cruises over normal school holiday periods being upset about kids on the ship, seems like its par for the course.

I don't know if kids are more of an annoyance than a drunk, or jeans on a formal night, but I think this issue splits along the same lines as some of the other taboos.

I believe some cruise lines allow infants as young as 4 months... so if you're not totally set on Carnival, you might want to explore some other lines.

Some (like myself) might argue that YOU don't need to be there. If Carnival allows babies, which they do, it really doesn't matter if you believe they "need" to be there or not.

Unfortunately, they also allow you, regardless of what *I* think.

Unlike a baby, I won't disrupt anyone's sleep, their meal, or bother them in any way.

I think that a good age is at least 10.

I do not understand grandparents wanting to watch their grandchildren. My parents never babysat for my daughter and when she has children I will be the same way.

I have never been awakened by a drunk on a cruise..... and if they are passing in the hall they do until they get to their cabin and pass out.. However on one cruise.. in the next cabin was a baby/infant that just cried... all night.:mad:

We have cruised 7 times on Disney, a lot of kids and I have never been waken up during the night by crying. We were however worken up in September on the Glory by someone barfing in the hallway out side our cabin door, maybe they were sea sick.

I think asking this question was about the same as asking if babies should be allowed in restuarants. I can remember when my oldest was a baby my mom and I took turns eating and "dancing" in the lobby with her when she got fussy. With my youngest, we never had to do that because she was never fussy.

I think at that age it's a little hard to know how they will react to their surroundings. We took our 6 year old with us last December and she LOVED it. She's still talking about the entire vacation, the hostess, the waiter, everything! I just remember my parents telling us, "to know what you enjoy you have to have experiences." Well, our 6 year old is getting a life of experiences from cruising to the Myan ruins to parasaling... and she loves it all.

I tip my hat at parents that enjoy taking their children with them. I also tip my hat to parents to take time for themselves and their relationships. As I told my mom, "when the kids are grown and gone I still want to know and love the man I married."

Oh... and some grandparents LOVE spending time with their grandchildren. My inlaws went on vacation with us on (and the rest of the family) because the *wanted* to take care of the kids so we could have some free time. Now that's grandparents love for you!

I think that a good age is at least 10.

I do not understand grandparents wanting to watch their grandchildren. My parents never babysat for my daughter and when she has children I will be the same way.

:confused: All of my kids' grandparents (including the steps) LOVE watching them. And I will look forward to watching MY grandkids (MANY years from now) when they are young. Sorry you didn't/won't have that experience.

I think that only adults between the ages of 29 and 37 with last names beginning with letters M - V that were born on a rainy day in August should be able to cruise. They can bring their children between the ages of 6 months, 3 days and 5 years, 3 weeks, 1 day (they get mouthy after that age), only if they agree to put them in Camp Carnival for the duration of the cruise.

You people are ridiculous. Well, not all of you... you know who you are.

:confused: All of my kids' grandparents (including the steps) LOVE watching them. And I will look forward to watching MY grandkids (MANY years from now) when they are young. Sorry you didn't/won't have that experience.

I can't wait for my kids to have youngins.......I will go and pick them up anytime I get and watch them, spoil them etc......but..... my vacations are all about me:D And my kids would not even consider having me watch them on a cruise while they get free time;)

I can't wait for my kids to have youngins.......I will go and pick them up anytime I get and watch them, spoil them etc......but..... my vacations are all about me:D And my kids would not even consider having me watch them on a cruise while they get free time;)

We live 400 miles from the closest set of grandparents and 1,100 from the most distant... so they take them however they can get them! ;)

Wow Brenda, your kids are REALLY lucky to have you. Not.

I would be horrified if my parents never wanted to spend time with my kids, not on a need a free babysitter level but because they are their GRANDCHILDREN not some kid down the street. That's just really sad to me.

But is that really fair to the grandparents?

I am a grandma of a 6 month old and a 18 month old and I wouldn't have a problem with watching them and taking turns. I like my grandbabies and I think they would do well on a cruise but she is also waiting for them to be older so they can enjoy themselves as much as the parents.

I am a grandma of a 6 month old and a 18 month old and I wouldn't have a problem with watching them and taking turns. I like my grandbabies and I think they would do well on a cruise but she is also waiting for them to be older so they can enjoy themselves as much as the parents.

My parents enjoy spending time with our kids, and now that they're older they even keep them for us so we can take a 4 or 5 day cruise alone from time to time. I just wouldn't feel comfortable imposing on my parents to babysit infants/toddlers on a cruise for which they're spending a good deal of money. It seems unfair, even if they're willing to do it. I guess that's why we waited until the kids were 2 and 3 and able to go to Camp Carnival, enjoy the kiddie pool, etc, and we didn't need to solicit help from the family to do so.

Archived