Please recommend a tour!

linkinsama

We'll be in Dominca the week of 7/26 and I haven't been able to find a tour that includes everything I want to do.

I've read in some threads that you can hire a cab for the day for a reasonable price. If anyone else has done this, what did you pay, and were there any concerns with getting back ot the ship?

We're wanting to do the following:

Champagne Reef, Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, Mr Nice Fruit Stand. I'd like to do the Emerald Pool as well but read that it is pretty far away?

I've read thru posts on this board but haven't been able to find any to answer this. I don't see where any of the tour companies offer this, either... (Woody, Antours, Bumpiing)

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried just emailing the companies and letting them know what you are interested in doing and seeing if they will customize a tour for you? I would think they would be happy to do that especially since you are interested in a private tour anyway.

Lininsama, please email Reyno at reynotours@hotmail.com. He does tours to all of the sites that you would like to see. He will let you know if it is possible to also do the Emerald Pool in the time you have in port, but he will not push it, as his primary concern will be allowing time for you to return to the ship in time. It is possible that he could add you to a tour that he already has scheduled that day, but if you wish to just have a tour for the two of you, let him know that is what you want. He has several cars and drivers available, so he can customize a tour for you. We have toured with Reyno twice and have visited the sites you wish to see as well as others and you will have a great time if you tour with Reyno.

Have a great cruise! We love Dominica!

Just booked it! Here's the email I got back. We went with Titou over Emerald.

"Thank you for choosing me (Reyno Tours). Yes I will be available, and does have openings for you all Gods willing.I will also be more than happy to be your Guide/Driver ,and to take you all on a Great Site seeing tour, and Snorkeling if you all wishes to do so when you all get to Dominica on the 28th.

We will go to see the: Rain Forest, Emerald Pool, TiTou Gouge, Mr. Nice Fruit Stand, Layou Valley View, Morne Trois Piton Natioanl Park, Trafalger's Square warm and cold Water Falls. We will also go to Morne Bruce to have a lovely Panoramic View of the Town and the Ship as well, and the Botanic Garden and we might go to see the Sulpher Spring/ Volcanic if you wants to see it. There will also be other highlights such as fruits, plants, lovely Flowers, Bananas, Cocoa, Cuffy, Pinapples and lots more.

But, if we were to go to Emerald Pool we wont have the time to do Titou Gouge. If we do Emerald Pool,we can do Trafalger Falls, Mr. Nice and all the others plus the Snorkeling. If we do Titou Gouge, we have to leave out Emerald Pool, but we will get to go Trafalger and all the other Places ok. So in other words between Emerald Pool and Titou Gouge we have to leave out one of them ok. You see they are not in the same Rout, and so it will take alot of Driving and time. It will take some time to do Emerald Pool and Trafager, but I do that one all the time. I also do Titou Gouge and Trafager all te time as well.

After we've done with all of the site's seeing, will go to Champagen Beach to end the day with some lovely Snorkeling if you all wish to do so ok.

You will meet me at the Pier in the Morning. As soon as you all find me, we will then begin our tour. We can/will go for 4--5 hours , or for as long as you want.All you have to do is write back and tell me you want to confirm the tour with me, and I will book you all.You can go as Private tour just the 2 of you only in and air-conditioned Van, and the price will be US$160 total.You all will also have pay a US$5 P/P to get you all enter the Trail at Trafalger Falls and the same at Emerald Pool total to US$20. Any operator you go with you will ask to pay that , since it is Government Site Fee's.The other Places we walk in free of Charge. You dont have to hire any Tour guide, I provide a Driver and a Guide on the Van. The guide will Tell you all information about the Island whiles on tour, and will walk with you to all of the Site's.

But if you all want you all can can go with others in the Van as a group tour. The price for a group tour with at lease 10 people in the Van is US$40 P/P. Pluse teh entrance fee of US$5 each to enter the Trafalger Falls and Emerald Pool.

I will be there waiting for you all, holding a sign that reads REYNO TOURS. You can also ask the Security Personnel that are dressed in brown uniforms with the bright colour Coats, up front for Reynold or Reyno.I will be there waiting for you all when ever you get of the Ship.Please put on Sneakers or Water Shoes for the short 10----15 minutes hike, at the Rain Forest leading to the Pool and Trafalger Falls and the same to get to the Gouge. No! Flip Flop Shoe's ok. You should also hold your Rain Poncho's or Umbrella's. I can aslo be very flexible as well, and my aim is to please every one including you all.You all will also be given time to Swimm at the warm and cold Pools.

I am waiting to hear from you with comfirmation. I'm also looking forward to meeting and touring you all.May God richly bless you, see you all on the 28th.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me ok"

Lininsama, you will have a wonderful time no matter which of those sights you see! We've been to all of them. On our first visit, we visited Trafalgar Falls and the Emerald Pool and stopped at Mr Nice Fruit Stand. Trafalgar Falls is a fairly easy hike, but it can get rather muddy if it has been raining, so that is why Reyno recommends wearing sneakers or some kind of more stable shoes rather than flip flops. Titou Gorge is like a big swimming hole, and the current pulls people up and around the gorge, and everyone's whoop's and yells echoes off the gorge walls. Mr. Nice fruit stand is a fun, refreshing stop. You'll get to sample lots of local fruit and even try your hand at squeezing some juice out of sugar cane. My husband thought that was fun. :) As Reyno says, he provides a guide who will accompany you on the drive to all the sights, and who will provide a narration along the drive so that you'll know what you are seeing as you drive along. Also, your guide will walk with you to the falls and the gorge or other spots, pointing out wildlife, plants and other items of interest. We've had Rosalind both times we've toured with Reyno, and she is just delightful. If you do decide to end your day with snorkeling at Champagne Reef, it is a great spot. It's very rocky getting into the water, but well worth it. We've snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii, and although I knew the bubbles would be the attraction at Champagne Reef, there was also a very nice variety of fish and coral to see.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm so happy you've chosen Reyno and you will have a wonderful time in Dominica.

• 2 weeks later...

We made all the stops you wish to see.

Roseau, Dominica

We prearranged the "Roseau Valley Treasures" tour with Bumpiing Tours (Levi Baron). $49 per person plus tip. We tendered into Roseau. Tendering was very efficient. Levi Baron met us just outside the pier and turned us over to Gary, our awesome driver and guide for the day. Gary kept us one step ahead of most of the tours. We started our day at Wotten Waven Sulphur Springs which entailed a short walk to view small boiling pools. Then it was off to Trafalgar Falls which features two large waterfalls in the same area. There was about a 10 minutes walk through a rainforest to a viewing platform where we took pictures and then proceeded past a "Proceed Only At Your Own Risk" sign and descended down to some hot springs where we relaxed and played in several hot pools. We also got some closer views of the falls. From here we drove to Titou Gorge where part of Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 was filmed. It was an easy 10 minutes walk to the Gorge, where we got into cold mountain water and swam a short distance through a cave to a waterfall. (If you go, don't wimp out. It's worth the chill). We instantly warmed in the sun upon exiting and got toasty in a nearby hot spring. We visited the Botanical Gardens where we learned about see different plants, trees and flowers grown on the Island. A short 5-minute drive to Morne Bruce presented us an overview of the entire city of Roseau, and port, from the top of a hill. We ended the tour snorkeling at Champagne Bay, where we hired an snorkel guide for $10 to show us the fish and underwater sites just offshore. There is no way we would have seen as much without our water guide, T.J. The entire tour lasted about 7 hours. Gary kept us well hydrated with Kubuli Beer (the best local island beer we tasted on this trip) and water. Gary was also quick to stop the van for any pictures we wanted to take and often stopped to pluck a leaf, nut, fruit, branch or root for us to smell and identify as one of the many local spices grown on the island. Recommended!

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

Archived