Seward, Chinooks vs. Ray's Waterfront

morebeaches

I have posted this before, but it was before the 2009 season had really started. Now that folks have had the chance to try them out this year I will ask again. We will be a group of 10 finishing up a long day. We will have taken the train from Anchorage to Seward, jumped right on board to do the 6 hr Kenai Fiords National Park tour, then checked into the Holiday Inn express. This will be our pre-cruise dinner before departing the next day. So with all this in mind, would you suggest Ray's Waterfront of Chinooks for dinner?

We ate at both (my DH and 10 year old DS and I). The locals all recommended Chinooks -- said Ray's was too pricey and not worth the money. We found exactly the opposite. The menu at Chinooks is VERY limited. My meal was just okay (halibut cheeks in white wine sauce over linguini); my husband did love his dish (halibut stuffed with crab/cream cheese stuffing). It was very pricey. Good people. Ray's on the other hand, had a much more extensive menu, great food, we ALL loved our dinners and we spent less there for better food; it's a nice view, and bigger restaurant. We thought maybe the locals don't like Ray's for other reasons so recommend Chinooks? Not sure, but especially for a party of 10 -- I would go with Ray's, you will all be able to find something on the menu, I can't say that about Chinook's.

We had a nice meal at Ray's in June. We walked to the restaurant after our Kenai Fjords boat tour . Arrived about 6p. Some other folks did the same. Food and service were good and I thought the prices were not out of line. As the other poster said, they have an extensive menu and there is a kid's menu. There was a large family party with kids (about 10 to 12 people) next to us and they had a window table set up for them.

Our captain with Alaska Heritage tours recommended chinooks so we did that... it was very good, but about the same price as Rays. I'd say it has less atmosphere than what I saw at Ray's. All seafood is expensive no matter where you go. you can't get much for less than $25/entree anywhere. We got a plate and split it. we were getting on a cruise soon and could eat all the seafood we wanted for a whole week!

Went to Seward June. We asked people in town where to get the best seafood, everyone suggested Rays. We got a table with a view of the harbor, go early or make reservations(if they accept them) for a window table. I got the wood planked salmon and it was very good. I would recommend Ray's.

Archived