France River Cruise

lizglea

Can anyone give me some information of the Burgundy & Provence cruise. How are you transported to and from airport - long bus rides??

Have a look at the thread River Cruising in France.

Some operators leave from Lyon for the Rhone/Saone itineraries and you can take a TGV direct from Paris DeGaulle to Lyon Part Dieu station then a short taxi ride to the riverboat. That's what I did.

You can also fly directly to Lyon and take an airport bus into Lyon.

Often the cruises will leave from Avignon as well; if that is the case it is a easy TGV (high speed rail) ride from Paris to Avignon and then a short taxi ride to the pier. Either Lyon or Avignon is easy from Paris, just fly in to Charels De Gaul and then take the TGV from Charles De Gaul to either city. If you are going to Avignon then you can either take a direct train from CDG or change in Lyon; I would go direct. The ride is about 3 hours if I remember correctly.

Steve

Barge cruises often cover Burgundy & Provence and are a great experience. Similar to river cruising, but the boat is much smaller and very few passengers, 22 max, and cruise almost exclusively on the canals. The scenery and experience are awesume, the food is gourmet, and most include daily sightseeing via a mini bus.

Mostly the trips groups will meet up in Paris, and take either a bus or TGV train, (then minibus) to the Hotel barge.

There is lots of info on the web, google "barge cruising in france" We used Abercrombie & kent to book our last barge cruise, but I'm sure you can book them direct.

Good luck!

Archived