God forbid your in the middle of a serious storm...

YFancyface

I will have to say I was on the Norway back in March 1993 when the SuperStorm aka Storm of the Century was hammering the Eastern seaboard. We were trying to make it back to Miami to not be out in it, and got back at about Midnight Friday night but couldn't dock until Saturday morning. So we just basically sat right off the coast for about 7 hours. That was the closest thing to a hurricane I have ever been in. I have sailed around hurricanes but we had to go through part of this because it developed so fast. We had waves breaking over the Lido deck that would knock a person down. And that was pretty high up. But she made it back and we were safe! Now the flight out was a nightmare and delays delays delays! haha

Additionally, yes, I do know there is bad weather at times, so please no flames and I do know that seas get rough....I am just answering the OP in the vain of ....Let's not get neurotic here!! You will survive.

Why do you think you would get flamed? Did you think your previous post sounded a little mean? Saying that "if your worried, a cruise may not be for you?" What about, "lets not get neurotic here." Funny, I thought "here" was a place where you could ask questions that were on your mind... Hmmm.... I won't "flame you" but I do think that those who can "dish it" should be able to "take it." :rolleyes:

Where is the safest place to be? I would guess in your cabin with your life vest on, right? I just watched some horrendous video of cruises in rough water. In one, the ship looked like it was jumping out of the water like a dolphin!! :eek: I think I would die... too much Titantic watching for me! (But not enough Leo :D)

But seriously, has anyone here been in that situation? What did you do? How did you stay calm? Espeshially if you had kids with you?

No kids along. On one cruise a bunch of us sat on the open deck under a cover. There was a bar right inside where we could replenish our drinks. The wind howled, rain came in sheets and the swimming pool was throwing out massive waves while we cheered it on. On one snap roll, every drop of water lifted out of the pool. It went 8 to 10 feet in the air before crashing back into the pool and on the deck. Some waves left the pool and went clean over the side without touching the deck. We heard later that there was quite a line by the infirmary for mal de mer meds.

On a transatlantic a couple of years ago, the outside decks were closed due to 80 knot winds and 40 foot waves. And it was raining and 43 degrees, so nobody much wanted out there anyhow. Spent much of that at the English Pub on the Royal Promenade.

On my last cruise (only my second!), we went through Tropical Storm Olga. I can't recall how high the captain said the waves were (95 feet??), but our 7th level balcony was soaked with sea water from the waves. We didn't get much rain from it, just tremendous swells. There were sick bags on every railing and a LOT of people laying around in the atrium area. I was very seasick, as was my sister (her first cruise) and we both spent a lot of time in our cabins just because we couldn't bring ourselves to venture out. Our cabin steward told us that even a lot of the crew was feeling ill from the constant rocking.

I never felt unsafe, though. The captain was obviously very experienced (he was so cute and young-looking though... reminded me of Neil Patrick Harris) and did his best to keep us out of the worst of the storm.

95 foot waves? ....I think that is a stretch

Last cruise on NCL Jade we hit rough weather night before we were supposed to dock in Athens (BTW cancelled) I beleive they said wave were 20 ft or better. It was rough but not sickening. However 20+ years ago we were on the HAL Rotterdam (during Hurricane David) I guess the stablizers were not that great - we were all as sick as dogs. Thatship was really ROCKING AND ROLLING. Took we over 20 years before I would get on a cruise ship. Don't think there is a worse feeling than being sea sick.

Way back in 1980 my family took a cruise from NYC to Bermuda on the old Volendam. It was an astronomy-themed cruise (we got to meet Isaac Asimov!!!). On the way back, we hit a storm with very high waves, I want to say 50 feet, but that might be too high.

My brother and I were miserably seasick; couldn't keep down Dramamine and this was before the patch, which has been a lifesaver for me on subsequent trips. My parents, OTOH, never, ever get seasick and went to one of the astronomy lectures. They were about the only people there and the lecturer lectured while lying on his back on the stage so he wouldn't throw up.

We were able to open the porthole in our cabin and on the stern on our deck was a little balcony-type structure that protruded out the side of the ship. Somewhere I have a photo of my brother sticking his head and arm out the porthole and waving while I stood on this balcony thing with the camera.

Looking back on it I can't believe that a. we could open the porthole, b. we were dumb enough to do it (we were teenagers), and c. that this balcony thing was open to passengers.

Way back in 1980 my family took a cruise from NYC to Bermuda on the old Volendam. It was an astronomy-themed cruise (we got to meet Isaac Asimov!!!). On the way back, we hit a storm with very high waves, I want to say 50 feet, but that might be too high.

My brother and I were miserably seasick; couldn't keep down Dramamine and this was before the patch, which has been a lifesaver for me on subsequent trips. My parents, OTOH, never, ever get seasick and went to one of the astronomy lectures. They were about the only people there and the lecturer lectured while lying on his back on the stage so he wouldn't throw up.

We were able to open the porthole in our cabin and on the stern on our deck was a little balcony-type structure that protruded out the side of the ship. Somewhere I have a photo of my brother sticking his head and arm out the porthole and waving while I stood on this balcony thing with the camera.

Looking back on it I can't believe that a. we could open the porthole, b. we were dumb enough to do it (we were teenagers), and c. that this balcony thing was open to passengers.

\

We were on the HAL Rotterdam on our cruise 30+

years ago. We had a ocean view room with porthole (didn't open) I was so very sick. I remember staggering throught the corridors where I met up with crew members who took me to Lido

deck got me some crackers and a apple and the took me to outside deck leaned me over the rail and well the-rest is history - I honestly wanted to die - dont' think there is anything worse than being sea sick - thank heavens stabilizers are much better now:)

Last cruise on NCL Jade we hit rough weather night before we were supposed to dock in Athens (BTW cancelled) I beleive they said wave were 20 ft or better. It was rough but not sickening. However 20+ years ago we were on the HAL Rotterdam (during Hurricane David) I guess the stablizers were not that great - we were all as sick as dogs. Thatship was really ROCKING AND ROLLING. Took we over 20 years before I would get on a cruise ship. Don't think there is a worse feeling than being sea sick.

Just a little info on 'stabilizers.' They are to smooth out a choppy ride or when seas are broadside to the ships travel. Once the seas get up in the teens or higher, stabilizers are retracted back into the hull. Otherwise the sea would rip them off the ship causing untold damage to the hull. So in a serious storm, the stabilizers are not in use.

On the way home from a Mexican Riviera cruise onboard the Jubilee we hit a really big storm coming out of Cabo San Lucas. Carnival put sick bags up and down the corridors stuffed into the rails on the walls because so many people were sick. The ship rocking did not bother me or my sons so we wandered the ship watching everyone and the boys helped some of the elderly to their cabins, holding onto their arms to keep them steady (the boys were 11 & 13 years old...such gentlemen!)

Anyway, we were up quite late that night and wandered to the Lido deck area. There was a trash can set up in the middle of a group of wait-staff and they were all getting sick into the can and could barely stand let alone roll the silverware into the napkins for the next day's service. The boys took off their dress jackets (it was formal night) and I kicked off my heels. We sat down and helped the staff roll silverware for about 3 hours so they could all get to bed. We had the time of our life and laughed so hard with everyone. The next day we had so many of the staff come and thank us for helping out. We were treated like royalty!

Just one of my most memorable moments on a Carnival cruise. The boys and I still talk about it to this day!

Why do you think you would get flamed? Did you think your previous post sounded a little mean? Saying that "if your worried, a cruise may not be for you?" What about, "lets not get neurotic here." Funny, I thought "here" was a place where you could ask questions that were on your mind... Hmmm.... I won't "flame you" but I do think that those who can "dish it" should be able to "take it." :rolleyes:

Point taken.......but what disturbs me the most on these boards is how some posters are just so concerned and worried about non issues. That was the vain I was posting in. Too much concern over silly things and sometimes the whole picture gets muddled.

So, yes, there are storms at sea and yes the Captain knows how to protect the ship....so do not be concerned, relax and go with the flow....I speak from experience as I was caught up in hurricane Frances and every other hour it seemed that our itin and course was changed/extended:) and diverted. Also, 600 pax got off in Galveston...why you ask..because they demanded to get off and DCL accomodated them. Now, what I find funny is that it was Labor Day weekend, we were only delayed one day past the holiday and 3 days past the original date....so who was running back to work anyway? They most likely had Sunday and Monday off ( I said most likely so please don't harp on it) so they only missed Tuesday at the worst...my family did and we survived. What was also funny was that they got off in Galveston on Labor Day Saturday....with no hotels...no plane flights...no nothing (excuse the double negative). So what may have happened to them? Doubt they were willing to pay the exorbinate prices for last minute fares out of Houston ( no, they were not locals I was told as they were alll transported by DCL to Houston airport). One guy even left his wife and kids on board...tried to get back to Norfolk somehow and even took the cell phone with him!!!! The poor wife was left to fend for herself and figure it all out...she had no clue as to when we would arrive back or where. It so happens that we were never even able to return to Port Canaveral as it was destroyed.

Long story of course and btw, her husband was not a "brain surgeon or lawyer that was defending a capital case that Tuesday" that he had to get back so badly.

My point is that if a person is going to cruise, they need to be prepared for what mother nature throws at them...not get paranoid...go with the flow and keep their senses....as it all works out. And buy travel insurance!!!

:D

95 foot waves? ....I think that is a stretch

exactly....see how people overreact......i bet now some newbies will actually think there were 95 ft waves.

95 ft waves....9 story building height....think Poisenden Adventure!!

Here we go with the movie buffs....going to watch the movie and see that in the movie they say something like 150 ft waves. I sure in the next few posts we will know exactly what was said on the film:D It's a joke....btw that I am making...just in case:D

On the way home from a Mexican Riviera cruise onboard the Jubilee we hit a really big storm coming out of Cabo San Lucas. Carnival put sick bags up and down the corridors stuffed into the rails on the walls because so many people were sick. The ship rocking did not bother me or my sons so we wandered the ship watching everyone and the boys helped some of the elderly to their cabins, holding onto their arms to keep them steady (the boys were 11 & 13 years old...such gentlemen!)

Anyway, we were up quite late that night and wandered to the Lido deck area. There was a trash can set up in the middle of a group of wait-staff and they were all getting sick into the can and could barely stand let alone roll the silverware into the napkins for the next day's service. The boys took off their dress jackets (it was formal night) and I kicked off my heels. We sat down and helped the staff roll silverware for about 3 hours so they could all get to bed. We had the time of our life and laughed so hard with everyone. The next day we had so many of the staff come and thank us for helping out. We were treated like royalty!

Just one of my most memorable moments on a Carnival cruise. The boys and I still talk about it to this day!

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story! It's so nice to hear stories about random acts of kindness. I'm sure the waitstaff was so thankful!

On my first cruise which was a repositioning cruise san juan to nyc on the golden princess the seas were sooooo smooothe we were like we can do this we can definitly do this until that freak storm pop up out of nowhere and we were awakened when everything that was on the vanity went crashing down to the ground... I was terrifed... we could hear the captain on the pa in the halls and I swear he was telling us to put on our life vest so my DH got out of bed to open the cabin door hear the announcement and what the captain was saying was that he was steering away from this freak storm that was off the coast of VA and NC but that is was so massive that even though we were miles out of the sorms way we still fell the effects of the storm. The ship was literally being tossed about the atlantic ocean as if it were a tic tac... He did advise us to remain in our cabin it wasnt mandated and all out side areas where locked off...I swore I would never cruise again after that, especially when the capt said in all his 22 years of being a captain he had never ever encounterd anything like this.. needless to say we were delayed by 24 hour reaching NYC.. and no sooner the seas became calm again I said to DH we deifinitly have to cruise again... and I have been addicted ever since:D

Archived