Has anyone done an O excursion from Marseilles?

jascarb

We leave next weekend and I still have this one lingering port that I don't want to plan so I am thinking of doing just one ship tour. We are doing either private tours, semi-private or DIY on all other ports. Marseilles is at the end of our 2 week cruise and I don't want to deal with figuring out taking a train, bus, hiring a driver or renting a car. As much as I hate the idea of being in a large group, I am going to opt for a ship tour. The day before we will be sharing a tour with another couple...Monte Carlo, Nice, St. Paul de Vence and Eze. I think we will like the smaller villages just to walk around and explore but at the same time I don't want to do the same thing this following day. Any advice on the O offered options below?

1. Food and Wine Trails of Provence. There is a review on cc that sounded good. We are doing an all day private wine tour in Tuscany so that is why I am iffy about doing another wine tour. Other concern is it is a catered lunch and I am a little particular with regards to food and for $250 pp for this trip, I want to have a meal that I can choose. I don't want to be stuck eating with a group of people eating whattever is given to me. How do you think this is done? I am hoping someone has done this tour and can give me some insight on what to expect.

2. A Day In Provence:

"This tour offers a wonderful glimpse of life in Provence by visiting several classic villages. Roussillon is situated on the highest hills between the Coulon Valley and the Vaucluse plateau, and much of its architecture is beautifully colored with earthen tones from the nearby ochre quarry. In contrast, most of the buildings in the village of Gordes are constructed of white stone and rise in picturesque tiers above the Imergue valley on the edge of the Vaucluse plateau. Meandering through its labyrinth of narrow cobblestone streets is an absolute joy, as you walk along vaulted passageways, centuries-old arcades and rampart ruins."

I looked up Roussillon and this area seems the most appealing to me but the description of the tour doesn't say which other villages and how much free time there is. This is an 8 hour tour. Hoping that most of it is not all on a bus and with a guide the entire time walking the villages in a group.

3.Avigon, the Pope's Palace & Les Baux Upon reaching Avignon, set on a scenic bend of the Rhône River, you will have a good grasp of the area's fascinating history, delivered in detail by your guide. While a marvelous city of art and culture, Avignon is most famous for being home to seven popes the 14th century, who chose to reside here rather than in Rome. The incredible Palace of the Popes was constructed primarily during the papacies of Benedict XII and Clement VI and was one of the largest buildings of its time. You'll visit this fascinating fortress-cum-residence, which consists of sumptuously decorated chambers, chapels, and passages. Afterward, your guide will lead you on a walking tour through the enchanting old town, and then you'll drive into the Alpilles Range to the amazing hilltop village of Les Baux. It sits atop a rocky mountain spur like an eagle's nest, perched 800 feet above the valley floor.

4.Charming Castellet:

A drive through the ravishing Provence region is a wonderful prelude to your arrival in Le Castellet, a traditional Provencal village perched on wooded hills overlooking fertile vineyards. This remarkable stronghold of a city, formerly owned by the Lords of Les Baux, boasts well-preserved ramparts, a carefully restored church and a castle dating back to the 11th century. Inside the castle, which must be entered through two fortified gates, enjoy an informative walking tour and see how the imposing building has been converted into the town hall.

Continuing on, you will next visit Le Castellet for some free time. Known for its fine arts and crafts, including painting, pottery, and exquisite metal tableware, this charming town is a wonderful place to do some shopping before it's time to return to the ship.

This is a half day...we might just be so exhausted by the end of the trip that this is enough. Haven't read anything on this board about Castellet.

I know you said you did not want to rent a car, but that is what I am going to do on my cruise and drive to Cassis to see the calanques, which a friend just visited, and possibly drive to Cannes. I also want to go to a cafe in Marseilles and just have some top notch bouilliabaise. I have been to all of the places listed in the shore excursions provided for that port in Provence, and the following day in Monaco will be very busy, going to the towns you mentioned and more, on a private tour. I have rented a car in Marseilles before after taking the TGV train from Paris and it is not a problem driving out of that city.

Archived