Six Packs!

EssexGary

A random observation - every time I see a cruiseline promotional photograph, or brochure picture of people enjoying themselves on deck on board a cruise (todays front page of cruisecritic.com - pool scene of Disney ship for example). The dudes always have six packs. Infact, if I was new to cruising I would have thought that, unless I looked like something from 'America's next top model' - cruising probably wasn't for me...

Now am I missing something?, am I not looking hard enough when on board? where are these beauties? do they get off as I board? The most I've counted was a 2-pack, but that was only because the person in question was bending forward whilst eating a burger.

Granted Cunard aren't big on showing off six packs in their photo's (probably because everyone in their pics are too busy wearing cashmere pashminas and laughing haughtily at everything around them - are potato croquettes that funny? apparently so in Queens Grill...)

Gary

Granted Cunard aren't big on showing off six packs in their photo's (probably because everyone in their pics are too busy wearing cashmere pashminas and laughing haughtily at everything around them - are potato croquettes that funny? apparently so in Queens Grill...)

Gary

I think they are hilarious. Why anybody would want to spend time doing that to an innocent spud is beyond me. I put it on a par with carving melons and making butter sculpture. It's like a dog walking on its hind legs, the marvel is not that it is done well but that it is done at all. They should be reported to the R.S.P.C.V. (Maritime Div.)

Obviously Cruise Lines have never heard my dear mother's oft repeated mantra.

DON'T PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD!

Gari (The one with an 'i')

I think they are hilarious. Why anybody would want to spend time doing that to an innocent spud is beyond me. I put it on a par with carving melons and making butter sculpture. It's like a dog walking on its hind legs, the marvel is not that it is done well but that it is done at all. They should be reported to the R.S.P.C.V. (Maritime Div.)

Obviously Cruise Lines have never heard my dear mother's oft repeated mantra.

DON'T PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD!

Gari (The one with an 'i')

According to the brochure snaps Gari, there is something even funnier than a potato croquette.... a somelier showing you a label on a bottle of wine... this has the people in Britannia almost hysterical with glee...

I also recall a picture of a lady in Todd English doubled-up over her Ceaser Salad (the one with the Chef touching her shoulder). I thought this was odd, because when I ordered one - it didn't make me laugh at all...

Gary (mum and dad paid the extra for a 'y')

I also recall a picture of a lady in Todd English doubled-up over her Ceaser Salad (the one with the Chef touching her shoulder). I thought this was odd, because when I ordered one - it didn't make me laugh at all...

Gary (mum and dad paid the extra for a 'y')

Rich parents eh? That's why you were in the Todd English. But I notice your folks wouldn't spring for the extra 'r'.

Gari

(From a poor but honest background, we 'ad nowt but neither did anyone we knew so that's why we were honest).

Rich parents eh? That's why you were in the Todd English. But I notice your folks wouldn't spring for the extra 'r'.

Gari

(From a poor but honest background, we 'ad nowt but neither did anyone we knew so that's why we were honest).

I wish they hadn't been so tight-fisted sometimes - it's easy to miss the 'r' when typing quickly... and with only one there - I wasn't in the closet for very long when I started my new job...

Gay

A random observation - every time I see a cruiseline promotional photograph, or brochure picture of people enjoying themselves on deck on board a cruise (todays front page of cruisecritic.com - pool scene of Disney ship for example). The dudes always have six packs. Infact, if I was new to cruising I would have thought that, unless I looked like something from 'America's next top model' - cruising probably wasn't for me...

Now am I missing something?, am I not looking hard enough when on board? where are these beauties? do they get off as I board? The most I've counted was a 2-pack, but that was only because the person in question was bending forward whilst eating a burger.

Gary

You're not the only one, wife & I were having a laugh about it just the other night while looking through a Princess brochure.

Never mind the six-pack, I've turned into a Party 7 since the crossing (probably only got by Brits of a certain age).

The other thing is the same couple are on every flaming ship - they must either spend lots or have a great TA.

Equally unrealistic as the trim physiques are the various youthful

couples, various ethnic groups, etc. portrayed in Cunard and Holland America literature - quite unlike the vast majority of the "real" clientele

that I've sailed with! Perhaps the cruise lines trying to appeal

to folks who actually resemble their models rather than the passengers

they actually have?:confused:

Never mind the six-pack, I've turned into a Party 7 since the crossing (probably only got by Brits of a certain age).

The other thing is the same couple are on every flaming ship - they must either spend lots or have a great TA.

Boo, got by these brits of a certain age! and have you seen their teeth? OMG, I need to put my reactolights on when I open the brochure!

You might also notice that the coiffered lady eating vol-au-vants in the queens grill (chortling to the maitre'd whilst staring at the hilarious mushroom filling... can also be found on page 34 hoovering an inside cabin whilst fashioning a bathsheet into a headless monkey...of course, laughing hysterically at the turndown chocolates)

Gary

Now am I missing something?, am I not looking hard enough when on board? where are these beauties? do they get off as I board?

Gary

Perhaps you need to go to the 3:00am dance party in G32...rumor has it some shirts come off and there are sights to behold (held?):eek:

Gar®y, put the brochure down and go and borrow a library book, you're getting hyper.

Gari

No charge for the extra 'r'

Gari, you're right... time to put the brouchure down and grab my copy of this weeks Heat Magazine - a much more upstanding journal don't you think? certainly no fakery within those pages.

I'm so glad that other people have a laugh about the 'Dynasty' type passengers illustrated in the brochures. I have often thought it would be fun to take pictures of actual passengers whilst on board and then paste them over those in the brochures - stomachs, snoring and scoffing etc. you see some strange sights at times.

You might also notice that the coiffered lady eating vol-au-vants in the queens grill (chortling to the maitre'd whilst staring at the hilarious mushroom filling... can also be found on page 34 hoovering an inside cabin whilst fashioning a bathsheet into a headless monkey...of course, laughing hysterically at the turndown chocolates)

Gary

This had me rolling about. Thanks, Gary.

Mary

On the bright side, Cunard isn't going over budget on their advertising. :D

"I had a six pack once, but now it's turned into a keg!"

Somehow, I don't think that glossy color brochure photos of the walker brigade trying to beat the scooters to the bread pudding at lunch in the Lido would sell a lot of berths. I guess they'll have to stick to the happy silver haired CEO and his Vera Wang clad missus grinning at their krill bisque in Queen's Grill.

Hi,

Now you guys have just spoiled everything for me. :mad: I always thought that when we were on the ship we looked just like those people we saw in the brochure. I thought looking absolutely fabulous, (i.e. 6 pack for hubby, slim and glamorous for me) came as part of the price. Now what am I going to do.!!.:eek:. I've got 15 months to do something about it, but there again if I lose weight I'll only put it back on, so probably best to leave things as they are.

I'll just pretend I didn't read this thread.!:cool:

Linda

Linda! Don't despair!

Follow the link to the Canyon Ranch Spa!

"the new age fighting discovery from the University of Arizona (no less) clinically proven technology that improves how your skin looks, feels and behaves" (I hope it won't stop me drinking wine?)

I shall board in August looking every one of my 50 years, and disembark in NY needing a new passport photo.

Yours in hope,

Gill

I've noticed another unusual thing about the humans on Cunard ships when watching the promotional DVDs. All movements have been slowed down so people appear to be moving gracefully.

Archived