Dream introduces 'FunHub'

jleq

I have to agree, kind of cool. I know some people will be like too much technology for a vacation. But being an IT Director I find this stuff interesting! :D But I can see where this will have a large appeal to the younger cruisers and teens. But I can tell you I won't spend my day logged into a terminal somewhere trying to plan my day! I will still be glancing at the Capers and heading out. Technology creeps into every aspect of our lives little by little! Thanks for the link.

Sounds kinda cool.

Wonder if it is a way to do away with all the paper from the "Capers" someday....Hmmmm....

I hope not. I still think I would like to look at it on paper in the evenings to plan out the next day.

Love the idea of being able to get a weather report. I always found it odd that the only way you could ever check the weather onboard was to make sure you were under a loudspeaker at noon on a sea day for the captain's report. :rolleyes:

Nothing in the Capers, nothing on TV, no weather channel to watch - even an international feed would give you some idea. Especially nice if you are in a storm.

I would think it would be easier for them to just offer this info for free in the Wi-Fi.

the way i read the following from the press release, they are going to offer the info for free via wi-fi...

The FunHub locations will provide guests with free and convenient access to an informative ship-specific intranet portal, and an exclusive shipboard social network, both of which will be available on a 24/7 basis. Guests may also access the sites via their personal laptops or via 10-inch netbooks which are available for rent and can be used anywhere on board.

now... the info's free, but it remains to be seen how the wifi connection works / costs...

given that it's via the shipboard INTRAnet, i guess there'd be some way your laptop can connect via wifi just to that, and not the INTERnet - so, you wouldn't have to pay for it, but can't access anything else (via the internet, for which charges would remain i assume)...

if you have to buy the internet package / minutes - then it wouldn't be free as they note - so i don't see that happening, especially since you'd have to pay per minute to use it... which, apparently, they want you to.

to early to tell, i suppose - but that bit remains unclear.

Archived