formal wear in freedom dining

novice cruisers

I have seen a lovely black gown for our first cruise on ventura next june is this suitable or will i look out of place.Iwould really love to wear it but if they dont dress up this much in freedom dining we will have to book a different one but my husband only likes steaks . Sorry to be long winded .:)

Other commentators are quite right about dress codes being the same for Freedom and Club Dining.In fact if you read the P&O brochure you will find that the recommended dress code for a particular evening applies to all Bars and Restaurants but to be fair on Ventura anything seems to go in the Buffet and Beach House at night.Which to be honest I think is a bit of a pity.But have a great holiday make the most of dressing up it makes your Cruise.:confused:

You will not look out of place....Me and my girlfriend were also worried as we thought we'd gone over the top for our ventura cruise in March. She had 4 Ball gowns and i had the bow ties and cummerbands to match each one! Everyone was so smart we probably weren't even noticed! Wear the dress, feel great and have a wonderful time on that fantastic ship!

P.s We were on freedom dining too.

As others have said on Freedom Dining you still dress on Formal nights.

The dress code is the same throughout the ship even if you have Freedom or Club Dining. The buffet area tends not to be so formal, this is for the people that don't do Formal.

The buffet is not for people who don't do formal, the dress code applies to all bars & restaurants..although in reality people sometimes do dress down there.

And how many people have you seen eating here with DJ and ballgown on!!!

As you are 'novice cruisers' I just wonder if you are a little confused about Freedom Dining.You will find that even on Freedom you will be allocated a Restuarant for the duration of your Cruise . It will probably be The Cinnamon.You will be free to choose the time that you wish to dine between I think 6.30 and 9.30 [times may have changed since we were on board].It gets quite busy around 8pm so you may have to wait for a table you will be given a pager.If you are prepared to share a table it helps.As an alternative you can use the Select Dining option such as Marco Whites or East there is surcharge but worth it.Also as a alternative try The Beach House for Grills Ribs etc [no surcharge].There is also Las Ramblas for Tapas and Spanish Dining again there is a charge.

For breakfast and lunch it is open sitting in a one of the main restaurants and of course there is The Waterside Buffet but this can get busy.Hope this helps but I'm sure you will soon find your way round and the ships daily newspaper which will be delivered to your cabin will give details of opening times and dress code I'm sure your little Black number will look great . Have a good one:)

I have seen a lovely black gown for our first cruise on ventura next june is this suitable or will i look out of place.Iwould really love to wear it but if they dont dress up this much in freedom dining we will have to book a different one but my husband only likes steaks . Sorry to be long winded .:)

My husband and i just got off ventura on friday. We opted for freedom dining and you will be in the cinnamon restaurant which is just as beautiful as the other restaurants and you will not look out of place as everyone dressed up for the formal evenings. I hope your husband likes other foods apart from steaks as they are not on the menu every night in cinnamon, you used to be able to order a steak every evening but they have stopped this as a gentleman sat next to me tried to do this and the waiter informed us that they no longer did this but believe me there is plenty choice and we thought the food was amazing.

I hope they haven't stopped the always available steaks..not for me but Mrs JTD often doesn't fancy something so goes for the chicken or steak. Tip....if there is a roast type dinner but you don't want the meat ask for the always ''available chicken'' to be substituted

Well I hope they have not stopped serving steaks as alternatives, I was on Freedom dining on Oceana, end of June and they were serving them then. Saw a number of people having them during the week, I had one on the last Friday, even although there was food on the menu, I would have eaten. I felt like a change.

Also if I did not like a starter, I would choose mellon. They must still offer some sort of altrnative, I would think. Personally I cannot see the steaks being stopped.

We wait with baited breath.:eek:

Oh My God!! they cant have stopped serving steaks!! my dad goes on the ventura on the 1st of sept for 17 nights, he cruises alot and eats the steak nearly every night......someones not going to be happy!!

We are on that cruise - I've never had the steak alternative 'cos I have always wondered what it's like! If your dad happens to be on our table maybe I will be able to see ;):)

Archived