Do Car Seats that are shipped consider luggage?

xcell

Nope, airlines don't charge for car seats.

I wouldn't be so sure. I would say it depends on the airline. Some even charge for first "check bags" - so I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to charge for a checked car seat. ;)

For instance, on American Airlines (AA), they allow both strollers and car seats to go free. But on Continental, if you are checking both, one may be charged.

xcell - which airline?

They usually are. Never check a car seat in as luggage. I spend 13 years with the airlines and you don't want your seat handled as luggage. Also, especially if you're going on to a cruise, what will you do if you get there...and your seat goes somewhere else??

Then you have an awkward wait for the seat. You'd have to take your chances on whatever seat someone else has left behind...and when is the ship leaving??

The airlines also wont take responsibility for what they consider to be a "delicate" item.

Try to use it on board. If the baby is less than 2 years old and you did not buy a seat for him or her, see if you can get an empty place next to you to use it in.

Bring your seat to the door of the aircraft and have it gate-checked if you can't use it on board. This is better than checking it as luggage. You also might avoid the charges. Officially, the airlines will say that you should be charged but take it with you and they may not bother or forget.

With the airlines, there is regulation and reality. Especially when it comes to charging for items, don't lie or hide anything but a "don't ask, don't tell" policy is best. If you ask, they'll probably charge. Look real organized and have a way to wheel it to the gate (on the stroller or use a luggage cart with an extra bungee cord).

Every item that has to be charged takes the gate agents' time so just say it's coming with you to the gate and they probably wont bother.

Good luck!

thanks we are flying us airways to San juan. But I also thought airlines had specific carseats they will allow on the planes and others they won't. I bought both kids seats.

We have never been able to use my sons booster seat on the plane... I never check it going to the port but coming home I check it as if for some reason it does not make it home it is ok as I have a real car seat in the car. (we have not ever been charged to check it either)

Best to check with your airline - recent changes in the last 6 months with almost every airline. I travel a few times a month - diplomats living over seas- and if we don't take our seats onto the plane and use them, the airlines generally count them as a piece of baggage. it just depends on the airline, and how many bags you are allowed. Also, the age of the child - under 2 and they will often allow one extra bag free, to accomodate a stroller or pack n play (yep, some count the stroller as a piece of luggage).

Archived