Carnival's Ultimate Adventure - HELP

tina-in-nc

We're looking to take this excursion in Sept. (The Legend 9/20)

We're looking for feedback from anyone who has done it. We especially want to know if the kayak's used on this excursions are clear?

Here is their description: (and thanks for the help):)

• Begin your adventure with a high-speed boat ride along the coast, admiring the lovely scenery.
  • Arrive at Punta Sur Ecological Park’s Crystal Beach, on the southeastern corner of the island, where you’ll see a stunning 4-mile stretch of white sand beach.
  • Discover the colorful tropical fish and local marine life as you snorkel above one of the coral reefs, just off the shore.
  • Enjoy kayaking with friends and family through the amazingly clear and tranquil waters.
  • Stroll along the pristine beach or relax in the hammocks or your lounge chair, taking in the beauty of nature that surrounds you.
  • Satisfy your appetite with a Mexican buffet of fresh tropical fruits, guacamole, salsa and much more.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also thinking of doing this off of Carnival Conquest on Sept 11. Is this a new one? I can't find anything on it. Carnival REALLY could give some better descriptions of the excursions they offer.

There is a very similar sounding 'Ultimate Adventure' excursion that is available on other cruise lines briefly described here... http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/coex11.html

...although there is no mention of bicycling on the Carnival website.

If the Ultimate Adventure offered by Carnival is indeed the same one then it looks like it would be fun, especially if the boat ride begins and ends back at the cruise ship pier.

I have asked Carnival for more information, which I will post if I get any.

We just did this excursion on our 7/27 Carnival Imagination cruise. The boat ride to Punta Sur was fun, but long (about 30-40 minutes each way). Once we arrived, you have your own private beach and sitting area. The snorkeling left much to be desired as there was hardly anything to see. The kayaking was a fun part of the excursion. The food was very tasty and consisted of chicken, chips, guacamole, pico, fruit, and all you can drink soda and water. I would recommend this excursion to those who are in shape as the snorkeling was quite a swim. It was definitely worth the money and a great day in Cozumel!

Thanks you. Some questions... Where did you get on the boat? Near the cruise ship pier I presume?

Also can you tell us more about the kayaking part? Was it off the same beach as you snorkel from, or do they take you someplace else. That sounds more interesting than the snorkeling to me too, as we will have been snorkeling in Grand Cayman the day before. We might be 'snorkeled out' by that time. :D

Thanks for the report!

My family and I are planning on taking this excursion in Cozumel as well.

Questions:

1. Are the kayaks clear?

2. How would younger children (ages 8 and 10) handle the swimming/snorkeling?

3. You said there wasn't much to see during the snorkeling, so what exactly were you able to see? I've never been snorkeling so I was looking forward to this part.

Thanks in advance! :)

I agree. I would like to know more about the snorkeling. My daughter will be taking her underwater camera just for this. I would hope she would not be disappointed.

** James in SA - I grew up in SA.... send me tamales!!

I did get a confirmation from Carnival that the boat leaves from the cruise pier and brings you back there. To me the boat ride itself sounds like fun, so the fun begins right away. (Others might have different opinions about the 'funness' of a boat ride, but to me that is fun.) There are some other Punta Sur snorkeling excursions, and they involve riding a bus like thing or driving jeeps to the beach. I like the boat idea better.

As for the snorkeling, the reef at Punta Sur is supposedly great snorkeling once you swim out to it. If you do a search on 'Punta Sur' that seems to be the consensus. It should be good, but everyone has different expectations.

This looks like a fun excursion to me, and I have already booked it. :)

You are correct, the boat dock is very close to the pier. The boat ride was fun, you get to see the coast of Cozumel, sites you wouldn't see if you were driving. The kayaks leave the same beach as the snorkeling. I wouldn't say you kayak too far and they are not clear (made of solid plastic). If younger children are good swimmers I would say they should be ok for the snorkeling. I have been snorkeling in Hawaii and in the Caymans and the place where this excursion takes you does not even begin to compare to my previous experiences. We honestly only saw a handful of fish, only a couple that were really colorful and a starfish. It seemed like a lot of swimming for not a lot to see.

I'm looking at this excursion too for my cruise in December where I'm in Cozumel from 1:00 - 10:00. They say it's only 5 hours long, so does it start immediately when the ship docks?

If returning to the port at 6:00 is there still other stuff to do in Cozumel then the rest of the evening? Mainly, I'd just like to walk around some shops, are they still open

• 1 month later...

We just did this in September off of the Conquest. We were there from 10A to 6P, and they tried to get it going as soon as everyone was off the ship and accounted for. That was about an hour after the ship was docked and cleared. I suspect if you get in at 1P in December they will try to get started right away as it will get dark earlier. In our case there was about an hour and a half left to wander around the shops and have a drink before we had to board the ship.

The ships do not actually dock right in Cozumel. There are shops, restaurants, and popular tourist bars (where hapless Gringos regularly drink too much and forget to board their ships) right at the dock. I don't know how late the shops stay open, but I imagine they stay open as long as there is a ship on the dock and customers swarming around. :)

Now, as for the excursion itself. First of all it was a lot of fun overall.

What I did not like, which may be common to all Carnival sponsored excursions, was that they made you do everything as a group activity at beginner's level, like you were in a kindergarten class. If you can get past the annoyance of that, or if beginner's level is what you are comfortable with, you will have a great time on this.

The boat ride is a blast. You leave right from a pier next to your ship, and they bring you back there when it ends. No taxis or buses. The boat itself was an open fiberglass boat powered by 3 200hp Yamaha outboards, and it had teeth painted on it. :D It was fast and fun. The boat ride to Punta Sur is about 45 minutes each way and is a scenic ride along the shore. There is no dock at Punta Sur, so they just drive it up onto the sandy beach and you hop out.

The snorkeling as I mentioned is kindergarten level and not at all strenuous. First they make you sit in chairs while they teach you how to put on fins and a face mask, and make everyone put on these yellow inflatable life vests like they have on airliner. Mercifully, at least they did not require you to actually inflate the things while you snorkeled.

It doesn't matter if you have your own gear or what your experience level is... they make EVERYBODY sit through this childish orientation. If you have never snorkeled before you will maybe find all this hand holding more reassuring than annoying. They announced it was time to snorkel so my wife and I grabbed out fins and headed down to the water... WAIT! YOU CAN'T DO THAT! EVERYONE HAS TO COME UP HERE AND SIT IN THESE CHAIRS (in the hot sun!) WHILE WE DO A SAFETY ORIENTATION. UGH!!! :mad:

I don't know where the 1 1/4 mile distance came from. I would estimate it to be about 100 yards across a sandy bottomed area with water 4 to 6 feet deep on the average. They have everyone swim out together in a tight group at a leisurely snail's pace following one of the guys who it towing a red flag. Another guy hovers around in a jet ski making sure nobody drowns in 4 feet of water or strays from the herd. At the 'destination' there are a couple of large flat white floats one can rest on if this journey makes them tired or they accidentally inhale a little salt water.

I think the area they take you is the very inside of a much larger reef, and it would start to be interesting if one went out a little farther. Unfortunately that is not allowed, so you will only see a little bit of reef and a few fish before they herd you back to the shore for the next group activity... and did I mention more photo opportunities. This time a photo with a starfish that I think they use over and over and over.

The kayaking is fine except once again it is a group activity where everyone follows the leader single file to a place up the beach a couple of hundred yards and back instead of just being turned loose to play with the plastic kayaks for 1/2 an hour or so.

The lunch was tasty and sanitary. We had chicken and rice and fresh fruit, along with soft drinks and bottled water. There was a little time after lunch to play volley ball and relax before the boat ride home.

I think one can have a great time on this excursion if they are OK with being in the beginner's water sports class and do not have high expectations of the snorkeling experience they will have.

If you are wanting a world class snorkeling adventure, then you will be sadly disappointed. I think there are some great reefs in this area, but they do not let you go out far enough to see them and they will not let you explore on your own. Go elsewhere if great snorkeling is mainly what you are interested in. :cool:

If you are happy with a fun, scenic boat ride and a fun day at the beach including lunch, then you will enjoy this. If you have never snorkeled or kayaked and want to learn how in a fun, safe environment, then this is the place. ;)

Whether this excursion is the one for you all depends on your expectations.

Thanks for the info - we also have our own snorkel equip, but DH is definitely beginner level. During the time you can hang out on the beach, can you go do some more snorkeling?

I doubt it. They were very insistent about keeping the group together, sort of like over protective parents. The snorkeling near the shore is just sand and grass anyway, and no way would they let you swim out to the reef by yourself.

If you are mainly interested in snorkeling and would prefer to do it by yourselves instead of as part of a herd...

A couple at our dinner table took a taxi to El Cid (a resort) and bought a day pass for $40 each. I think it was all inclusive and they said the snorkeling off the beach was great. You might want to research that option. I see that on Carnival you can do a day pass at El Cid as a ship's excursion for $65 that includes the taxi transportation to and from the pier. That is probably a few dollars more than doing it on your own, but the extra assurance about not getting left behind is worth it IMO.

Do your own research though, this is just second hand information.

James, What time did the excursion start and end for you? Like I said, I'll be going in December but want to make sure that even afterwards I'll still have some time to go shopping in the early evening. I believe we are docked 1:00-10:00 (so noon till nine their time.) They say 5 hours on the Carnival website so I'm guessing from 1:00-6:00 is how long it lasts which would give me about 2 hours to do some final shopping.

And traveling solo I don't mind that it's so structured. Thanks for the great info so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 22yo dd and I did this on Saturday. There where only 20 of us in the group.

We took a 35ft boat south to Punta Sur... it RAINED on us.

They did the normal safety check, showed how to use everything. Which is good for all the 1st timers. We actually took our own snorkel gear and skins.

They led us out to the small reef, it's not that bad of a swim. I actually used the vest and blew it up... floated part way on my back. After about 30 min, I went back to the beach....I was drinking to much salt water...I was done!

I sat back and watched everyone do the other things that where available. Food was good, staff was very friendly and made the trip more enjoyable.

The sun came our while we where on the beach, but rained just a little on the way back to the pier.

I'm use to snorkeling, I think I would pass on this one next time and try something else. But for those who have never snorkeled this would a great one to try.

.th_PICT0020-1.jpgth_PICT0071.jpgth_DSC02931.jpg

th_DSC02947.jpgth_DSCF2253.jpg

Archived