Best Souvenirs?

snorkelingsearchers

Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce - Made and bottled in Belize. I buy 20 bottles every trip(yes seriously). It comes in different flavors(orange, lime, graprfruit, etc) with a hot base. I cook with it all the time. Costs only about $2 USD a bottle.

Cashew Wine - Made locally in Belize. VERY sweet wine. I've never tasted anything quite like it. Inexpensive at about $10 USD.

Viper Rum - Well... it's a dead snake in a bottle of rum. Not sure I would actually try and drink this, but it makes for a heck of a conversation piece. Only available athe Maruba Resort.

Wood Carvings - You can find these most anywhere. They're made of a native Belizian wood(I forget the name of it), but it's very heavy and looks beautiful.

An Original Nelson Young Painting - If you go to Caye Caulker(and you should) go find Alfred. He operates a small shack(yep.. it's really just a t wall shack) on front street on Caye Caulker facing the water. He sells original paintings by local Belilzian artists.

IMG_3092.JPG

Definitely the Marie Sharps - I will hurt people that mess with my bottle of 'Exotic Sauce'. Several flavors are available in the US, and I'm not much of a hot sauce fan, but 'Exotic Sauce' is spicy, slightly hot, great on burgers, fries - just about anything. I've only found it once in the US, at some beach festival.

I vote for the woodwork-mostly vases, bowls and carvings. There is at least one shop in port that sells it and I noticed many vendors just outside the port. It is well made and beautiful. Both Roatan and Belize sell the same type of woodwork and I've haven't seen anything comparable in other Caribbean ports.

How expensive are the wood articles?

I paid $25 dollars for a nice bowl w/lid [away from the port area] two years ago.

This year bought a nice vase about 12" tall with mixed hardwoods for $50 dollars.

I'm sure they are various price ranges depending on the size.

There are a few local artists that are just amazing....Nelson Young lives on Caye Caulker and has some amazing oil painting. He goes through phases so he work does change periodically.

nelsonyoung.jpg

This is a Nelson Young

Because he lives on Caye Caulker, you should be able to negotiate the best price possible. I own a few Nelson Youngs....I paid around US$400 per painting...but you can get prints too for much less.

If you go out to Caye Caulker, you can ask any for directions to Nelson's house. While i would not suggest banging on his door...it is his home and everyone does want their privacy...you can definitely get a picture of where he lives and maybe if he is in his yard you can meet him.

The other belizean artist that is amazing is Walter Castillo

His work is available in every form...from original oils to printed postcards. He is very very popular and while others do try to copy Walter...only Walter captures the true colors of Belize!

waltercastillo.jpg

One example of Walter Castillo

So if you want to spend just a few dollars...you can get prints that are easy to pack and are great gifts. If you want to get yourself one of those special souveingers...something that isn't a tshirt...an original painting from either Walter or Nelson is an excellent choice!

Wendy

Thanks. Are they willing to negoiate at all?

Most places are willing to negotiate, but not all. The vase I bought this year I had to pay the list price, but when I bought a piece from a private vendor [outside the port] I was able to negotiate. The bowl I paid $25 for was worth about $40 in the port shops.

I just go by whether the price is worth it to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce - Made and bottled in Belize. I buy 20 bottles every trip(yes seriously). It comes in different flavors(orange, lime, graprfruit, etc) with a hot base. I cook with it all the time. Costs only about $2 USD a bottle.

Cashew Wine - Made locally in Belize. VERY sweet wine. I've never tasted anything quite like it. Inexpensive at about $10 USD.

Viper Rum - Well... it's a dead snake in a bottle of rum. Not sure I would actually try and drink this, but it makes for a heck of a conversation piece. Only available athe Maruba Resort.

Wood Carvings - You can find these most anywhere. They're made of a native Belizian wood(I forget the name of it), but it's very heavy and looks beautiful.

An Original Nelson Young Painting - If you go to Caye Caulker(and you should) go find Alfred. He operates a small shack(yep.. it's really just a t wall shack) on front street on Caye Caulker facing the water. He sells original paintings by local Belilzian artists.

IMG_3092.JPG

Were did you get in Belize? My husband loves that sauce and we can't get it here?

Archived