disabled traveller

I am considering taking my 83 year old mother on her first cruise (probably a sampler cruise out of Brisbane to see if it lives up to her expectations!).She is not an invalid but does use two walking sticks and requires a shower chair for safety reasons. There are a number of disabled cabins still available but because she is not considered disabled we could be "bumped" out of this cabin if a fully disabled passenger required it.

My question is, has any one travelled successfully with a travelling companion who needed this type of assistance in an ordinary cabin (re bathroom etc). Also are wheelchairs available to hire on Pacific Dawn or would we need to bring our own?(Think it may be easier to get around than running the chance of a fall).

I have travled with a disabled pasenger but they was in a wheel chair cabin but they was in a wheel chair as your mother is using the sticks I am sure if the room was kept clean and that she wouldent be to bad in a normal cabin.

Though there is a step to the bathroom a and in a 4berth room there is little room bewteen the two bunks I am sure other people will give you more of an idea but what a lovley idea to take your mum on a cruise:)

When my husband broke his ankle last week we explored all options with P&O. Unfortunately there were no disabled cabins left on our cruise (which sails in two weeks), but we were offered full use of a wheelchair, a shower stool and a toilet raiser (raised seat with handles which sits above the toilet). As the wheelchair cannot go through the door of a standard cabin, we didn't want to risk DH losing balance and stepping on his broken foot. He's been told that if that happens he'd need more surgery to replace the pins holding things together. So we canceled, but as you can see, there are plenty of options for you and your Mum to consider. If she's able to move around comfortably she may be fine in a standard cabin. I'd still request a disabled cabin though.

I have seen the disabled cabins although never stayed in one, and they are quite large, especially the bathroom.

Not sure if the cruise you are looking at visits any ports, but if it does and you do need to use a tender, the crew are fantastic and will be more than happy to help your mother on and off the tenders.

Also, something to keep in mind is that older passengers often feel the sea movement more than younger passengers, so I would recommend to book a mid-ship cabin. The ship moves less in the middle than at the front or back.

I would also recommend to speak to your mother's doctor to see if they recommend anything for sea sickness. They will be able to prescribe her with the correct medication for her as they will know her medical history and know of any risks / side effects.

Hope it all works out well for you both :)

Thanks for the imput everyone. Still working through the possibilities. Will contact P & O about the shower stool and toilet chair - these alone may be enough to solve the problem, especially if we can get access to a wheelchair for around the ship. Anymore advice would be appreciated though.

Archived