Just back from 30 days on the Sapphire...any questions

JimandLouise

On board now and having a great time.

For anyone embarking in Sydney... warning! do not get there early!

We had 3-4 hours wait to embark, the Sydney Port Authority had nothing organised, did not have anyone showing ppl where to drop their bags off (find the rental trucks) and had no barriers for the ppl lining up. People were everywhere looking for answers with no one there to answer them. Disembarking passengers were still getting off at 12 noon!! We didn't start boarding until 1:30pm. Lots of unhappy people, especially the platinum passengers who expected priority boarding... it just didn't happen for them. Everyone lined up and boarded together. Sydney has no platinum or express check in, so don't expect it! I did not see this as Princess' problem but the Sydney Port Authority's.

Once we boarded everything has been smooth sailing... except for the crap weather!!!! Where the heck is the sun...????

For those who are yet to cruise, you will have a wonderful time on the ship.

Kim

Well, lucky you that didn't need seasick meds. I heard that it can get kind of rough. I hope I don't need them, either. Did you notice what kind of outlets were in the cabin and bathroom? could you plug in a nightlight in the bathroom or was it just for shavers? Don't want to carry a strip if we don't need to.

Jim & Louise & Kim, We will be disembarking in Sydney. What time did the people start getting off? I'd like to be able to tell my friend & NZ Sis who are meeting us about an approximate time to be there for us. (on Jan. 18th). We don't have a flight; just a room for hopefully "early check-in" in Circular Quay.

Thanks for all the information! Kim, I'd send you some Southern California sunshine but we've been having our own strange weather (even a mini tornado in Orange County recently) with rain, wind and sunshine all mixed together!

Cheers, Scampi

Hi Scampi,

With disembarkation, although we docked on time at 6:00am, disembarkation was delayed by about an hour for everyone, some maybe even later. Our scheduled disembarkation time was 7:30, we didn't get out until after 8:30. From memory, the ship was scheduled to be clear by 10:30ish, and it seems that people were still onboard until mdday or later. I'm not sure why, if anything we arrived a little early. Perhaps as Kim suggested, there was something amiss at the Port....but who knows?

Kim - Glad you're enjoying yourself...is Skywalkers getting any more business this cruise?

Hi to you Kimba!..

I wonder if the embarking time gets more refined as things go on??

Last season - a few people said the same thing about the lateness of being able to get on the ship in the early Syd/NZ cruise itineraries.

By the time we embarked at the end of those cruises to go to Bangkok from Sydney, things were running a little smoother it seems.

We were at the dock by 10.30 a.m.....and were onboard by 12 midday...left our things in our cabin...and went sightseing for a while.

Maybe it all gets down to a fine art by the time the ship has been in and out a few times. :)

Glad you are having an enjoyable cruise.

Skywalkers was the place we ended up at every night...never missed, yes and there were not a lot of people there most nights...we on the other hand were usually there til the wee hours....(keen dancers :D )

S&D

drink.jpg.41e08bd61a7df8a35f154edbc373aa9a.jpg

Hi Estebofar,

There was one two socket outlet in the desk area and another two socket behind the TV. We ended up buying a double adaptor.

Snowmen, there was coffee, normal and decaf, tea and iced tea or water. Nothing other than that I saw, but our we got our soda cards which proved, for us anyway to be good value.

I guess I'll bring my adaptor as well. Do you remember if it takes two or three prongs? Some take two some take three. That should be plenty. My husband's camera dock takes up space and juice.

Heidi, did you get your cabin assignment yet? Our friends are right near the glass elevators on Emerald and they have a quad. I teased her that they were putting extra passengers in with her since it is booked solid. Are the kids getting excited?

Janis

Since the Sapphire didn't go to Wellington they didn't pick up the Australian immigration officers there either so immigration needed to be done on the last morning instaed of having been done already.

I got off the ship in Auckland for the weekend and planned to re-board in Wellington, so you can imagine my surprise when I arrived at the port and no ship!

I had to fly to Sydney and wait for the ship to arrive and my friend to get off with my luggage...it was a zoo there. I just watched and couldn't believe how disorganised it was, maybe they will get better but I agree with the other poster that blames the port authority. There are no directional signs and even the police didnt know where to tell people they could bring the car to pick someone up.

Maybe Princess will get proactive and make some directional signs so you don't have 2800 getting off and 2800 getting on bumping into each other. Not to mention the crew coming and going in that mix also along with the people that come to see the ship.

I just figured that might have been you. I was playing Weakest Link with you as well......you know the one that you and the other girl made sure came third!!!

We were talking to you at the dock as well. Hope you had a great time in Sydney and you found some cheaper places to eat.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

We've just got off the Sapphire this morning after the 30 day LA to Sydney cruise. Photos to follow. Anyone got any questions?

wow 30 days..awesome..we are not quite as fortunate..7 days to mexico..

here's my question..so I wonder which is better..we are on the Sapphire 10/22 and are debating dolphin D735 versus Emerald E727..both mini suites..both starboard aft..Dolphin completely exposed but pretty much in the back and looks kinda private..emerald totally covered..too much cover?? and sun we have afternnon all the way down to cabo 5 days..we like sun..but also orivacy..

any help would be awesome

HI Michael,

Sorry, we didn't see you post sooner.... We were in a BA balcony up on Lido, the location of the two cabins is pretty much identical, but the Emerald is a totally covered balcony versus the totally uncovered balcony on Dolphin.....A good compromise, if its available, might be one of the mini - suites on Caribe as they are half covered, half uncovered.

Another drawback of the Dolphin deck was that a few people mentioned that they got up in the morning to find cigarette stubs and other garbage thrown from above down on their balcony. I even heard one story of someone having a lighted cigarette land on their head. That has pretty much put us off those cabins.

I can't really say how much sun you will get on Emerald, because we never went in one of the balcony cabins down there, byt we looked at them from outside the ship, and when we graduate to a mini-suite we decided that those were the cabins we'd try first.

Hope this helps you make your choice, if we're not too late.

Archived