First time Trip Report - VALOR - 5th - 12th

Bontongrl

Hiya wildcrazyatver,,,,,

Yes, we had a GREAT time,, !!

DH has a Canon SD750. When we booked this vacation, he immediately got online searching for an underwater housing that's made specifically for this camera. It cost $180, not cheap, but we figure over the years we'll certainly get our money's worth. It seems like we already did on this trip alone, lol. He also took videos with it,,, which I might put up if I get a chance, they came out really cool too !!

DF also had an underwater camera, but it was a smaller megapixel camera so the pictures didn't come out quite as clear,,,,

No, we never made it to Senor Frog's,,, I wish we'd had the time, It's always fun there :D[/quote

A quick question about Cozumel. I am trying to put together my day in Cozumel coming up in September. I have snorkeled from the shore there before from a little farthur north and, since you were in the water most of the time, what did you think of shore snorkeling from where you guys were? I'm trying to decide whether to do a two reef boat trip with less land time or more land time and a shore snorkel. How was the area you chose?:confused:

Thanks!

Well, I really have enjoyed reading this review. Love all the photos. After reading this, I want to talk to hubby about booking this cruise. We've been to all the locations except Grand Cayman, and because we like to go to new places, and we love lots of days at sea, we hadn't really given serious thought to this itinerary. But clearly, Roatan has built up and has much more available for the cruise passengers than when we went, and your review is the first one that has made me want to try the cave tubing in Belize (We did Shark/Ray Alley when we were there)....Cozumel is one of our favorite spots on earth so I love for it to be on ANY cruise itinerary (it is also a wonderful LAND vacation -- we spent a week there a few years ago in one of the all-inclusive resorts. We say it was like a land-locked cruise! *L*). We both want to go to Grand Cayman, but had been trying to find an itinerary that looked good but included places we HAVEN'T been. Now, after reading this, I don't really care about seeing all new places....the places we have been to seem to have changed enough to still be a new experience!

Thanks so much!!

Oh, I almost forgot: I completely agree with you about the color of the water around Cozumel....it is a turquoise blue color that is unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere...almost other-worldly. It takes my breath away every time I see it....

Hiya Terri,,,,

I'm so glad you are enjoying my lil report...... Like I said before, its more if a "daily diary" than a review. Just telling what WE all did,,,,, :D

Sometimes it nice to see things through other people's eyes,,,, it gives it a new perspective.

Though we didn't see anything of Roatan EXCEPT the Fins and Flippers island, it was one of my favorite stops. It turned out to be a beautiful day,,,, !! and from what I hear, its a beautiful island too, once you get away from the dock area

If you have never seen the stingrays at Stingray City in Grand Cayman, I would definitely recommend that for everyone.

As to the water color in Cozumel, I so totally agree with you. I've been to the Caribbean numerous times over the last 20 years, and it never fails to take my breath away when I first get there and see the water. It's hard to explain to others who have never seen it before. I was in Playa del Carmen last year for a "land-locked" cruise, as you call it, and that's perfect for what it is, lol, and couldn't get enough of the beaches and the gorgeous water.

I guess I just love the Mexico area all around. I've never been disappointed :)

You are welcome so much ;)

A quick question about Cozumel. I am trying to put together my day in Cozumel coming up in September. I have snorkeled from the shore there before from a little farthur north and, since you were in the water most of the time, what did you think of shore snorkeling from where you guys were? I'm trying to decide whether to do a two reef boat trip with less land time or more land time and a shore snorkel. How was the area you chose?:confused:

Thanks!

Hey TexasBen,,,,

When we left the ship in Cozumel, we stopped at the dock to get information about a good place to go for sunning and snorkeling.

We were told that most of the reefs around Cozumel had been destroyed by the Hurricane, so it was going to bit a hit and miss type of thing.

We didn't want to do a boat excursion for this reason, so opted for Dzul-Ha.

There were no reefs in this area,,,,,, but there were man made bells, etc in the water to attract the fish, etc.

Maybe there was a reef a little further out from where we were, because there were LOTS of boats anchoring there, and people were snorkerling from those boats. They were maybe 50 yards out from the shoreline,

and DH and DF actually swam out to that area to check it out.

There was no "reef" but large rocks and the fish were there too.

IF your main thing is to snorkel, you might want to take the 2 reef trip, as there wasn't a reef at OUR area.

But if you want some land time too,, ( which we did, us gals wanted to relax and sun and do less snorkeling than the guys did ;) ) then I would pick a spot where you could do both.....

DH said the best snorkeling by far, was at the Fins and Flippers in Roatan.

Had it not stormed the night before,, and since it was still windy and the water was choppy that afternoon, it would have been a perfect reef for snorkeling.

Let me know how it works out for you, k ? :)

I can book a two reef trip starting at 1:00PM which would give us some land time and lunch time first. Not really interested in shopping there but I would like to see the east side of the island which I understand is quite beautiful. I can't see going to the east side and doing a two reef trip.....decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!:cool:

I think I may wait to see what kind of weather we have and just have two plans.:rolleyes:

I do have to get some water time there though!:D

Botongrl, what a fantastic review you have written. Great detail and really interesting and entertaining photographs. I have always thought that a person's personality will always make itself known through the words he or she chooses. Based on this belief, you must be a wonderfully warm and engaging human being!

My husband and I have just returned from a cruise aboard the Pride and you are making me long for the experience again! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful diary of your holiday. Best wishes for future vacations as great as the one you have just enjoyed!

We boarded, and went up to the Lido Deck. to watch as we pulled away from Cozumel. This was our last port, and we would be at sea for the rest of the trip,,,

Sadly,, we're on the down slope now, and its slowing coming to a close,, <sniff sniff>

Ok, ok, none of that, we still had one more full day, and 2 more nights,,,,,!!!

It's not over yet !!! lol

The Conquest had come in a few hours after we had, so they would be there another few hours.

IMG_3916.jpg

and the Freedom of the Seas was also in port at the same time,,,,

IMG_3907.jpg

We were waving and taking pictures.........

Have you ever noticed something ? People on boats, ships, anywhere on water, they are always smiling and waving. We take our boat out on a lake close to us, on weekends, and people are ALWAYS waving, the same as on cruise ships. I know, I know, something about the water makes people happy,,,,, ( maybe its because its the weekend, ? or they are on vacation ? ) and they smile....lol

Have you ever waved to someone in a car ? Why don't people in cars ever wave to each other ? lol

I do it every once in a while, just to see the look on their faces,,, its hysterical, but makes me laugh, it ( almost ) always makes them laugh,,,, and maybe makes for a small bright spot in an otherwise regular ole, stress filled gloomy day !! lol Try it sometime !!

Ok, back to the Lido,,,,,,, <smiles>

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3908.jpg

cozumel19.jpg

Now, time to head for the room, relax a bit with a drink on the balcony,,,( I LOVED our balcony, I don't know if I could ever cruise without again, lol)

and get ready for elegant night !!

Lovharvey,

Now, I want to see that picture,,,, lol Can you post it ?

I loved the pier area. Since I had never been there before, I didn't realize they had just rebuilt last year. They did a great job on it,,, the stores are great, the landscaping is beautiful,,, I just wish we'd spent a little more time there. !!

I hope this link works, but, I just tried it and it doesn't, back to the drawing board. I will keep trying. I haven't tried actual posting of pictures, but, have sent the link to some of the people that were on our cruise in March. Now that I think about it, maybe they rebuilt this area this way rather than the shops on the pier. I can't wait to read the rest of your review and see your pictures. Digital should makes taking pictures easy. We had over a 1000 from our Alaska cruise and over 500 on this past cruise. Snapfish loves me.

I can book a two reef trip starting at 1:00PM which would give us some land time and lunch time first. Not really interested in shopping there but I would like to see the east side of the island which I understand is quite beautiful. I can't see going to the east side and doing a two reef trip.....decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!:cool:

I think I may wait to see what kind of weather we have and just have two plans.:rolleyes:

I do have to get some water time there though!:D

Well Ben,

I say "BOOK IT DANO" !!!

I wonder how many people will read that and say whaaaa ? what does that mean ? I guess that will age me,,,, lmao :D

Just put some blinders on your wife,, ( she won't see the shopping area) and head straight for the taxi stand,, and you are free and clear :D

Though we didn't see the east side of the island, its supposed to be more undeveloped and beautiful, so if you head that way, I'd love to hear about it.

Either way, as long as the weather holds out, I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you do there :)

Botongrl, what a fantastic review you have written. Great detail and really interesting and entertaining photographs. I have always thought that a person's personality will always make itself known through the words he or she chooses. Based on this belief, you must be a wonderfully warm and engaging human being!

My husband and I have just returned from a cruise aboard the Pride and you are making me long for the experience again! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful diary of your holiday. Best wishes for future vacations as great as the one you have just enjoyed!

Hi Windy,,,

What a lovely compliment,,,, it makes me happy to know that others are enjoying this..

I just write the way I talk,,,, or, rather, the way I think ? lol, or the way I talk to myself ? ;)

I hope you had as good a time on your trip as we did on ours,,:)

Thank you again :D

Lovharvey,

Now, I want to see that picture,,,, lol Can you post it ?

I loved the pier area. Since I had never been there before, I didn't realize they had just rebuilt last year. They did a great job on it,,, the stores are great, the landscaping is beautiful,,, I just wish we'd spent a little more time there. !!

[ATTACH]125899[/ATTACH] Let me see if this works.

It did work, but, I didn't figure out how to make it larger. That is the picture that is on both my laptops as the background. I have enjoyed your review and pictures very much.

[ATTACH]125899[/ATTACH] Let me see if this works.

It did work, but, I didn't figure out how to make it larger. That is the picture that is on both my laptops as the background. I have enjoyed your review and pictures very much.

Yessssssss, it worked, and I think I have that same picture !! :D

What a beautiful picture to look at each day,, especially if you have to be at work ;)

Don't you LOVE digital cameras ? The next best invention, behind a computer lol

We are getting more tech savvy in our household today,,,,,,,:D

DH has uploaded a few of the snorkeling videos to youtube, so if you are interested in seeing them, here they are,,

It was his first time, using the camera underwater for videos, so,,,

its not professional, but hope you enjoy them :)

This one is from the Grand Caymen Reef

and one more,,,,,from Cozumel

We boarded, and went up to the Lido Deck. to watch as we pulled away from Cozumel. This was our last port, and we would be at sea for the rest of the trip,,,

Sadly,, we're on the down slope now, and its slowing coming to a close,, <sniff sniff>

Ok, ok, none of that, we still had one more full day, and 2 more nights,,,,,!!!

It's not over yet !!! lol

The Conquest had come in a few hours after we had, so they would be there another few hours.

IMG_3916.jpg

and the Freedom of the Seas was also in port at the same time,,,,

IMG_3907.jpg

We were waving and taking pictures.........

Have you ever noticed something ? People on boats, ships, anywhere on water, they are always smiling and waving. We take our boat out on a lake close to us, on weekends, and people are ALWAYS waving, the same as on cruise ships. I know, I know, something about the water makes people happy,,,,, ( maybe its because its the weekend, ? or they are on vacation ? ) and they smile....lol

Have you ever waved to someone in a car ? Why don't people in cars ever wave to each other ? lol

I do it every once in a while, just to see the look on their faces,,, its hysterical, but makes me laugh, it ( almost ) always makes them laugh,,,, and maybe makes for a small bright spot in an otherwise regular ole, stress filled gloomy day !! lol Try it sometime !!

Ok, back to the Lido,,,,,,, <smiles>

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3908.jpg

cozumel19.jpg

Now, time to head for the room, relax a bit with a drink on the balcony,,,( I LOVED our balcony, I don't know if I could ever cruise without again, lol)

and get ready for elegant night !!

You have some of the same shots that I took when we were leaving Cozumel. The Fantasy was docked next to us and you're right about people waving. We noticed it on the lake also when we would go to Conroe. I don't know if I would try waving to someone in a car, you never know what will happen. I have to agree with you 100% about the balcony. I told my hubby I didn't want to do the Alaska cruise without one and we have never looked back. I couldn't go back to an OV room no matter the cost. I love being able to sit on the balcony and have a drink and watch the ocean and things go by. It was especially nice when we cruised through Tracy Arms and didn't have to go on deck. We could stand outside awhile and then step back in the room to get warm. Can't wait for the rest of the review.

Well Ben,

I say "BOOK IT DANO" !!!

I wonder how many people will read that and say whaaaa ? what does that mean ? I guess that will age me,,,, lmao :D

Just put some blinders on your wife,, ( she won't see the shopping area) and head straight for the taxi stand,, and you are free and clear :D

Though we didn't see the east side of the island, its supposed to be more undeveloped and beautiful, so if you head that way, I'd love to hear about it.

Either way, as long as the weather holds out, I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you do there :)

We have taken a tour to the east side of the island and we really enjoyed it. This last trip, we had the cab to ourselves and had a great driver. We stopped at a bunch of neat places. There are a lot of AI resorts and beach areas that aren't seen from the road. We stopped at one place and were able to get some great pictures. I was able to get some good pictures just as the waves were breaking on the rocks. When we in Progresso, I wanted to buy this bag, but, decided to wait and I am glad I did. Where we got the great pictures had a little bar and a few things that you could buy. A little girl came up to me and was selling the same bag that I was going to buy and for $5 cheaper. My hubby got some fresh pineapple that was great. Between the two of us, we couldn't finish it. With the exception of the beach resorts, you can really get away from the crowds on the east side of the island. There was still a lot of hurricane damage, but, that is to be expected, look at Galveston, a year later. We were there is March and there is still a lot of work to be done. I hate to see your review come to an end.

Yessssssss, it worked, and I think I have that same picture !! :D

What a beautiful picture to look at each day,, especially if you have to be at work ;)

Don't you LOVE digital cameras ? The next best invention, behind a computer lol

I love my digital camera. I have 3 Nikons-2 Coolpixes. We were at Best Buy yesterday and I am thinking about upgrading my camera to one that has that new auto feature, but, Nikon doesn't have it yet and I really like my Nikons. I think I will wait awhile and see if Nikon will come out with it. I did look at one that has the touch screen, but, I really want one with the new auto feature. I keep forgetting to change my camera for different pictures that I am taking. You are so right about computers, "How did we ever live without them?"

We are getting more tech savvy in our household today,,,,,,,:D

DH has uploaded a few of the snorkeling videos to youtube, so if you are interested in seeing them, here they are,,

It was his first time, using the camera underwater for videos, so,,,

its not professional, but hope you enjoy them :)

This one is from the Grand Caymen Reef

and one more,,,,,from Cozumel

Debbie, please add me to your list of fans. Your review is fabulous and I've been reading each installment with excitement, looking forward to our Valor cruise in September. These videos are really good--thanks for putting them up so that a non-snorkeler like myself can see what you all see while snorkeling!

We arrived at the river and everyone was put into 8 people groups, and hooked up together, tube to tube, with each group having their own guide.

IMG_1111.jpg

They said it had rained a lot recently, so the river was higher than normal and running pretty fast.....

No problem for us Texans !! We tube quite a bit, so, fast running water wasn't going to bother us... lol,,,, Actually, it moved along at a nice speed, not slow and not fast,,,

IMG_1112-1.jpg

The lastest in hair fashion, its called "The Headlight Hairdo" lol

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Since the water was higher than usual, we moved through the caves with a good speed.

The water was cool and refreshing. I just wish all the guides had those big flashlights,,,, we couldn't see very much with the small headlamps, and a bigger flashlight would have worked wonders. They did a great job hanging on to all of us, and moving us around as needed.

IMG_1119.jpg

We came out on the other side, and floated leisurely down the river till it was time to get out.

We had ordered a local type lunch through Major Tom's group. We had lunch, then back on the bus,,, another hour ride back to town, and then caught a tender and we were back on the ship by 4:00.

We enjoyed the tubing a lot, especially the trek through the jungle. I've never been in a REAL jungle before,, so I think that was the best part !!

That looks like soooo much fun!!!!! It makes me want to go back to Belize! My husband and I didn river tubing in Ocho Rios last year and it was FABULOUS!!!! Thanks for posting the pictures :D

Great video of the reef.

also you stated:

"Have you ever noticed something ? People on boats, ships, anywhere on water, they are always smiling and waving. We take our boat out on a lake close to us, on weekends, and people are ALWAYS waving, the same as on cruise ships. I know, I know, something about the water makes people happy,,,,, ( maybe its because its the weekend, ? or they are on vacation ? ) and they smile....lol

Have you ever waved to someone in a car ? Why don't people in cars ever wave to each other ? lol"

We moved to a small farm community last year and everyone waves to everyone. DH and I will be driving in a car and sure enough a wave. I always say who was that and I always get the same reply - don't know they waved so did I

Love your review

Linda

BOOK IT, DANO!!!!!! :D

Hawaii 50! I think some of those were even in COLOR!

I was just informed by DW that we are going to return to some store we went to last time we were in Cozumel. She bought a swim suit cover there and wants to buy another. So much for skipping the shopping! I don't think blinders work anyway, she can smell a bargain. I'm sure of it!

I thought we'd go to the Tequila Farm in route to the East side of the island. The Farm is probably best left until after lunch as they have SAMPLES!!!! :D

So now it's a plan in redesign. Oh well, that's half the fun!!

Nice videos. Now you have me wanting to see if I can get a water-proof housing for my Olympus as it shoots short videos as well.

Thanks and if I get to the East side I'll try to post about it.

I'm in the process of writing a review of our Freedom cruise...but am out of my league when I read yours! Thanks for taking the time to post all of the photos...am enjoying it immensely!

Just wanted to say that we also just visited Dzul Ha on July 6th...so got a lot of the same photos. I had been looking for updated info before we left, but didn't find much info at the time. We had been here back in 2005 and I was curious what we would find "post-hurricane". The snorkeling isn't as good...but the restaurant is WAY better than the small snack bar that had been there previously.

If you (or anyone else) is curious about how the Cozumel dock AND Dzul Ha have changed, I have some before and after photos on my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027676&page=2

The dock area at Roatan has really changed as well since we were there in 2004. Back then there was nothing.

I enjoyed looking at your DH's snorkeling video. I bought a new Canon D10 camera right before our cruise and got some good underwater photos...but forgot to take any underwater video! I was still getting used to the settings and fumbling around a lot in the water. Darn. Guess we will have to go back!

You have some of the same shots that I took when we were leaving Cozumel. The Fantasy was docked next to us and you're right about people waving. We noticed it on the lake also when we would go to Conroe. I don't know if I would try waving to someone in a car, you never know what will happen. I have to agree with you 100% about the balcony. I told my hubby I didn't want to do the Alaska cruise without one and we have never looked back. I couldn't go back to an OV room no matter the cost. I love being able to sit on the balcony and have a drink and watch the ocean and things go by. It was especially nice when we cruised through Tracy Arms and didn't have to go on deck. We could stand outside awhile and then step back in the room to get warm. Can't wait for the rest of the review.

Its hard to NOT take pictures when leaving Cozumel,,,, You want those pictures to prove to people that the water is REALLY that blue and beautiful lol

We go to Lake Conroe too,,,,, and that's exactly what I was talking about, I bet we've waved to each other and didn't know it ;)

I'm in the process of writing a review of our Freedom cruise...but am out of my league when I read yours! Thanks for taking the time to post all of the photos...am enjoying it immensely!

Just wanted to say that we also just visited Dzul Ha on July 6th...so got a lot of the same photos. I had been looking for updated info before we left, but didn't find much info at the time. We had been here back in 2005 and I was curious what we would find "post-hurricane". The snorkeling isn't as good...but the restaurant is WAY better than the small snack bar that had been there previously.

If you (or anyone else) is curious about how the Cozumel dock AND Dzul Ha have changed, I have some before and after photos on my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027676&page=2

The dock area at Roatan has really changed as well since we were there in 2004. Back then there was nothing.

I enjoyed looking at your DH's snorkeling video. I bought a new Canon D10 camera right before our cruise and got some good underwater photos...but forgot to take any underwater video! I was still getting used to the settings and fumbling around a lot in the water. Darn. Guess we will have to go back!

Hi AryMay,,

I just read your wonderful review, and like I said, we might be twins that were seperated at birth,,, :D

DH had forgotten he had video on his camera till AFTER we did the Stingray city tour,,,, I would have loved to have gotten the stingrays on video,,,,

I guess we'll have to go back just for that too ! :D

Archived