First time Trip Report - VALOR - 5th - 12th

Bontongrl

Debbie, when I posted last time, I forgot to thank you for such a wonderful and detailed review of your cruise. I am sailing on the Valor this fall, and although I've done this itinerary before, you brought back soooo many memories and really ramped up my excitement level for this cruise. GREAT JOB!!!

Your welcome Deldiva !! Glad I was able to do that for ya :)

LOL...ahhh....but at 35 you were a lot smarter then at 22! Sooo...you probably partied better at 35 then 22!

35 or 22 or whatever...just to take a couple house/afternoon to play like a kid again....everyone should do it once and a while.

As a matter of fact, Sdallnct,,, I did :D

In fact, in some ways, the 40s and 50s are even better than that,,,,

I'll always be a kid at heart ;)

OK things slowly coming together,

Gym - free. I can go daily while wife wakes up slow, goes to spa, whatever

In room - I'm going to order the etched Anniversary Champaign glasses, Champaign and chocolate covered strawberrys

Supper Club - going to reserve for our anniversary dinner

Excursion - So far going to do the Deluxe Sail, Snorkel & Beach Party. Will look for another one.

Does anyone know the distance of the running track on the Valor? I assume it would be the same as on other class ships. I could get a great workout in the gym (I saw the virtual tour - very nice). But it would be fun running out on the open ocean!!!

Oh...and I've sort of jumped into this thread. I don't want to high jack it or detract form Bontongrl most awesome review. If others suggest it, I'll move to a new thread!

OK things slowly coming together,

Gym - free. I can go daily while wife wakes up slow, goes to spa, whatever

In room - I'm going to order the etched Anniversary Champaign glasses, Champaign and chocolate covered strawberrys

Supper Club - going to reserve for our anniversary dinner

Excursion - So far going to do the Deluxe Sail, Snorkel & Beach Party. Will look for another one.

Does anyone know the distance of the running track on the Valor? I assume it would be the same as on other class ships. I could get a great workout in the gym (I saw the virtual tour - very nice). But it would be fun running out on the open ocean!!!

Oh...and I've sort of jumped into this thread. I don't want to high jack it or detract form Bontongrl most awesome review. If others suggest it, I'll move to a new thread!

Sounds like your plans are coming along just fine, especially the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries,,,, good touch ;)

I did walk the track for a partial way, but not the entire way, so someone more "healthy" conscious than I was, will have to answer that one for ya,,, :D

( Ok,, I'll admit,,,, it had nothing to do with jogging, just a place to walk while checking out the upper deck,, lol )

You don't have to move to a new thread on my account,,,,,You aren't hijacking this, cause I finished the "daily diary" part, so, now its just chatting :)

Sounds like your plans are coming along just fine, especially the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries,,,, good touch ;)

I did walk the track for a partial way, but not the entire way, so someone more "healthy" conscious than I was, will have to answer that one for ya,,, :D

( Ok,, I'll admit,,,, it had nothing to do with jogging, just a place to walk while checking out the upper deck,, lol )

You don't have to move to a new thread on my account,,,,,You aren't hijacking this, cause I finished the "daily diary" part, so, now its just chatting :)

Funny story about chocolate covered strawberry's. Took a 5 day cruise out of Florida (long story on why 5 story over 7) for our 15 year anniversary. I ordered chocolate covered strawberry's for the 2nd day of our cruse (we were not able to go on our true anniversary). Well when we arrived to our room on boarding the strawberry's were there. I thought they mixed up the days and no big deal. As it turned out, they brought them every single day! We actually got a little burned out on them...LOL But it was fun!

Hi luvncruisn,,,,

We booked the catamaran trip with http://www.stingraysailing.com/

Chip owns the catamaran and he and his crew did a great job.

I think it would be PERFECT for a private party such as yours. You could probably get it totally to yourselves for the day and that would be awesome !!

LOL...I'm still finding stuff from your excellent review!!!

So wife says "we must go see the sting rays". You recommend this one? Enjoy it? I like the idea of saving $20-$30 pp AND having a bigger/nicer boat with fewer people. I also like seeing both the sting rays and reef!

This seems much better then the Carnival Excursion!

Did I understand you correctly? You had a 8:15 dinner (which is what we booked/confirmed) and you went to the show each evening AFTER dinner?

Trying to put a rough schedule together. Wife likes to take a naps while on vacation, so I'm trying to figure when to work that in for her...LOL.....

Did I understand you correctly? You had a 8:15 dinner (which is what we booked/confirmed) and you went to the show each evening AFTER dinner?

Trying to put a rough schedule together. Wife likes to take a naps while on vacation, so I'm trying to figure when to work that in for her...LOL.....

The show usually has 2 performances each evening, one for main seating dinner and one for late seating dinner. The show for the late seating usually starts around 10:30 P.M., right after bingo.

With the late seating, you should be able to squeeze in a nap when you get back from your excursions. On most days, you will have several hours before dinner.

Thank might work! Especially if there is still enough time to hit a bar in Cozumel.

I was looking last night. We will be on the ship our Anniversary, so I know I'm going to book the supper club. And I'll get the Champaign glasses that are etched with the ships logo, chocolate covered strawberry's, etc. The day of our anniversary will be in Belize, so I'm not to worried about even departing the ship. I see they have a couples message. I'm not really into that, but bet wife would like. But if I recall, they give discounts at the spa while in port. So I might not order that in advance and play that by eye. little pricey on line.[/quote}]

The spa prices are a lot less while "in-port". I would wait to book the couples message until then ;);).

The show usually has 2 performances each evening, one for main seating dinner and one for late seating dinner. The show for the late seating usually starts around 10:30 P.M., right after bingo.

With the late seating, you should be able to squeeze in a nap when you get back from your excursions. On most days, you will have several hours before dinner.

Thanks so much!! I was thinking on some previous cruises there was only one show. So if you had late seating, you saw the show before. But I could be wrong on that. I know we like to go to the shows, so a nap, dinner, late show, bar/comedy club sounds like a perfect evening!

And that is exactly what wife likes to do if possible. Have a good "full" day. Nap about 4-5:30 or so then get reading for dinner. This way she feels she doesn't have that "crash" right after dinner and can go do more stuff...LOL

I also want to work in nap time for her as it might be a good time for me to go to the gym. I'm not a big nap person....LOL

LOL...I'm still finding stuff from your excellent review!!!

So wife says "we must go see the sting rays". You recommend this one? Enjoy it? I like the idea of saving $20-$30 pp AND having a bigger/nicer boat with fewer people. I also like seeing both the sting rays and reef!

This seems much better then the Carnival Excursion!

I DEFINATELY recommend seeing the stingrays !!! and we really liked having the catamaran with fewer people. We went over to the sand bar on motor power, and were SUPPOSED to leisurely come back just under sail, but due to the storm that came up, Chip didn't want to use the sails, and we motored it back also. That just gave us a little extra time to explore the frontage street and have some lunch. :)

Yes, we had the late seating dinner, and went to all the shows AFTER dinner. They have 2 shows for each seating, except for the LAST night, which only has one show and its at 10:30. Get there early if you want to see the last one, it will be packed. ;)

Hi Debbie!

Great review/pics....I knew you'd love the cruise. Looks like a great time was had by all!

See ya on Playa.info!

Mike

Hiya Mike !!

Thanks, and you are right, we did love it. I see that you've taken YOUR share of cruises yourself.... :D

I'm headed over to Playa.info to update that one in a few minutes.. :D

Thanks for the fabulous review. We live on the Mexico border in deep south Texas - we'll start the vacation off with a trek north to the Houston / Beaumont area mid week, followed by the flight out of IAH to Miami on Sat, then on to the Valor Sunday (8/9).

It has been great traveling with you on the trip and actually getting a visual preview of all the great activities. Our family really appreciates the time you took to document the Valor and all the ports of call - many, many thanks!

OK, after a pow-wow with wife, we have decided on:

Costa Maya - No excursion. Shop an bars

Belize (day of our Anniversary) Rain Forest or Air Boat (but only if short and early), on board Spa (either her or a couples thing if they are doing a great deal for being in port), Super Club

Cozumel - we have done it a ton so shopping and bars only

Grand Cayman - Sting Rays

I'll get the etched glasses/champaign/strawberry's (won't tell her about that).

Also going to get an underwater housing for camera. We only snorkel so I think I'll just get one of those heavy duty bag things. They are good for 33 feet, so plenty for snorkeling. I have a decent camera now, but it is to big to carry in a back pocket. So I may look for a true, pocketable camera...maybe.

Going to get the Rum Runner kit. Not only for this cruise but for skiing as well.

We want to see the shows nightly. I want to use the gym daily. Especially since I know I will eat way, way to much....LOL. We almost always go to the Art auction, sometimes buy, sometimes no.

I'm not trying to lock us in with 90 days to go. But I'd like some idea. I have some time to look and research. It is possible that I have to work out of town for the next 3 months, so I want to take advantage of the time I have. Plus I'd like to purchase these items now and have them paid for before ever boarding the ship. I'd like to get us about 50%-70% planned and paid for before we ever get there, and then play the rest by ear and not be locked into things. I wouldn't mind and afternoon by the pool or even a couple hours of blackjack if that fits in....my wife wants to watch a movie at the out door theater, but I don't know how that will work with our later dinner, then show.

Hiya Mike !!

Thanks, and you are right, we did love it. I see that you've taken YOUR share of cruises yourself.... :D

I'm headed over to Playa.info to update that one in a few minutes.. :D

We're certainly getting close to our Platinum status! We're looking at another one in February (6th I think) out of Ft Lauderdale to St Maarten, St Lucia and Half Moon Cay. We've not been to St Lucia and we always look to try to find an itinerary that includes somewhere we haven't been.

That one will be number 10 on Carnival...so assuming the economy doesn't make them change the Platinum reqmnts...we'll get it on that cruise.

Thanks for the fabulous review. We live on the Mexico border in deep south Texas - we'll start the vacation off with a trek north to the Houston / Beaumont area mid week, followed by the flight out of IAH to Miami on Sat, then on to the Valor Sunday (8/9).

It has been great traveling with you on the trip and actually getting a visual preview of all the great activities. Our family really appreciates the time you took to document the Valor and all the ports of call - many, many thanks!

Thanks Aggiefam5,, :)

Sounds like you are going to have quite a nice trip yourself,,,,

I hope you have a great time, and glad you enjoyed it :D

OK, after a pow-wow with wife, we have decided on:

Costa Maya - No excursion. Shop an bars

Belize (day of our Anniversary) Rain Forest or Air Boat (but only if short and early), on board Spa (either her or a couples thing if they are doing a great deal for being in port), Super Club

Cozumel - we have done it a ton so shopping and bars only

Grand Cayman - Sting Rays

I'll get the etched glasses/champaign/strawberry's (won't tell her about that).

Also going to get an underwater housing for camera. We only snorkel so I think I'll just get one of those heavy duty bag things. They are good for 33 feet, so plenty for snorkeling. I have a decent camera now, but it is to big to carry in a back pocket. So I may look for a true, pocketable camera...maybe.

Going to get the Rum Runner kit. Not only for this cruise but for skiing as well.

We want to see the shows nightly. I want to use the gym daily. Especially since I know I will eat way, way to much....LOL. We almost always go to the Art auction, sometimes buy, sometimes no.

I'm not trying to lock us in with 90 days to go. But I'd like some idea. I have some time to look and research. It is possible that I have to work out of town for the next 3 months, so I want to take advantage of the time I have. Plus I'd like to purchase these items now and have them paid for before ever boarding the ship. I'd like to get us about 50%-70% planned and paid for before we ever get there, and then play the rest by ear and not be locked into things. I wouldn't mind and afternoon by the pool or even a couple hours of blackjack if that fits in....my wife wants to watch a movie at the out door theater, but I don't know how that will work with our later dinner, then show.

Hiya Sdallnct,

Sounds like you got things all planned out,,,, Now you can relax and just enjoy the long wait,,,,, :D

I think next time we'll try the no excursion route for one of our port days,,,, shopping and the bars sounds like fun to me

I hope your wife doesn't read this report, or the cat will be "out of the bag" on your anniversary plans,,,,,,;)

Watching a movie at the outdoor theatre was one of the things we wanted to do, just never did. Having the late seating for dinner did interfere with that,,, we should have just skipped the dining room one night and taken in a movie. I will DEFINATELY do that next time ;)

We're certainly getting close to our Platinum status! We're looking at another one in February (6th I think) out of Ft Lauderdale to St Maarten, St Lucia and Half Moon Cay. We've not been to St Lucia and we always look to try to find an itinerary that includes somewhere we haven't been.

That one will be number 10 on Carnival...so assuming the economy doesn't make them change the Platinum reqmnts...we'll get it on that cruise.

Hey Mike,,,,,

Well I have a LONG way to go before I reach that status,,, :(

Oh well, it gives me something to look foward to,,, :D

They had a special for the day in port in Belize, $99 for 3 things... 20 min each. I got suburned so I did the neck/scalp massage, milk wrap and the foot/ankle massage. She did a mini facial too to try and get me to buy the products!

Good information. Thank you!! I don't think I'll book anything in the Spa in advance. I know wife would like to do the couples message. It is 50 minutes for $256 on line. I figure off hand, assuming not terrible, a $20 tip per person so we are getting to $300 real quick. Which is more then I'd want to spend. Especially since I have never had a message and don't know if I want one...LOL

But yea, if it was closer to half that, I'd get more interested.

Funny story....

During our 15 year anniversary cruise, I went to the Spa and gave them $100 and told them whatever wife wanted, and if it was more to let me know/put it on our room charge. I later walked wife down there and they took her away with me not knowing what she might select.

Well I went to a bar, then an art auction where she caught up with me after a couple hours. I thought boy is this going to cost me! Well when she sat down she kind of smelled...LOL...and not like hot, sweaty or not taking a shower. Smelled odd...

I didn't say anything and asked her if she enjoyed the Spa and she said yea, but she probably wouldn't pick what she picked ever again. I asked why? And she said since going to the Spa she has taken has taken 3 showers. One at the Spa and 2 in our cabin and she knows she still smells....I was like "yea ya do"...LOL...what did you do at the Spa?....

She got the Sea Weed wrap...LMAO...and even after three showers she still smelled like sea weed...LMAO....At first she was a little pissed, but a couple of the daily frozen drinks and she was laughing...It is a funny story now!

DH and I had room 1022, 8E category, a balcony room on the Panaroma deck and our DFs had 1020, an inside stateroom.

IMG_3360.jpg

I'll be on Valor at the end of the month for my honeymoon...can't wait...I think I'm driving my DW crazy...I research like crazy and find out everything I can and she just wants to be surprised and learn as she goes.

I have one question for you....how did you get that thing of coke on board did you just carry it on loose or pack it in something?

thanks for your knowledge and thanks for the great review

Archived