Upgrade on Sapphire (A206)

simba005

Hi,

We have just been assigned our room on the Sapphire, sailing in 4 days. I think we should be happy, as we were visited by the upgrade fairy (even if it was a small upgrade).

To be CLEAR, I am not complaining, we booked an Inside Guarantee (K). This is our typical approach, as we find enjoyment in the cruise itself(food, entertainment, activities, ports, meeting new friends, etc.). We spend such little time in the room, we really couldn't justify the 2x OV or 3x Balcony.

I think we may have gotten our hopes up a bit, as it has never taken this long to have a room assigned. We thought, that since we are celebrating an aniversary and b-day on board, that maybe they were really going to surprise us. Oh well, I know we are going to have a great time.

Can anyone provide any thoughts on this room and the upgrade?

*This is further forward then we have ever been, will motion be an issue?

*We notice that this is identified as being able to sleep 3 or 4, does this mean it is larger then a typical inside room?

*It appears that we have private access to the pool on the Aloha deck, that should be cool (pun intended - going to Alaska), but should allow for some nice views.

*Any other thoughts?

Thanks...

It's best to realize that probably 20-30% of the passengers onboard will be celebrating something on the cruise, whether it be a birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc. I have never known Princess to take into consideration what a passenger is celebrating when assigning staterooms. They assign what is available, so you can never tell where you might end up.

Most guarantees end up somewhere in the type of stateroom they actually booked (inside to inside, outside to outside, etc). Yes, occasionally we read about one of those great upgrades up two three or four category types, but honestly, they don't happen as often as you think they do. ;)

The only thing I can say about your assignment is that it is almost all the way forward, which could cause a bit of movement if you should encounter rough seas. But since you booked a guarantee, I am guessing seasickness isn't something you suffer from or you wouldn't have left the decision of cabin assignment up to Princess. The stateroom will be the same size as other insides, no larger, it will just have two drop down bunks which you will barely know are there because you won't need them and they will be stowed into the wall or ceiling.

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise!

*This is further forward then we have ever been, will motion be an issue?

*It appears that we have private access to the pool on the Aloha deck, that should be cool (pun intended - going to Alaska), but should allow for some nice views.

*Any other thoughts?

Thanks...

We stayed in the 200 block on the Grand during storm season and didn't find motion to be a problem. Not sure how rough the seas get in Alaska so I can't speculate, although motion is subjective anyway. What bothers one doesn't bother the other.

As for the Terrace Pool, yes there are doors from either hallway that lead out to some stairs to go to that pool. I wouldn't call it private access though, as the pool is wide open to the Lido deck as well.

This pic is from the Caribbean Princess but it's the same thing, with maybe a bit more deck space between the pool and the bar on the Sapphire. You come out the door on the left (another door like it on the other side of the pool) and up the stairs to the pool. or you can come up the aft stairs/elevators, which come out on the Lido deck aft of Horizon Court, and come out to the pool that way (should you be lower on the ship and want to go to that pool).

cruise364.jpg

Archived