Walkie Talkies on ships

bobarnie

Does anyone know if walkie talkies work well on cruise ships and if they do are they frowned upon ? I think they would be useful as the cruise ships are so large these days and they would be ideal for keeping intouch with the wife and family if we where on opposite ends of the ship ?

What about using your mobiles? I'm sure I found I always had coverage when on board, even when mid atlantic, much to the annoyance of those receiving my updated texts mentioning total relaxation and beaming sunshire in early November!

Jenni

What about using your mobiles? I'm sure I found I always had coverage when on board, even when mid atlantic, much to the annoyance of those receiving my updated texts mentioning total relaxation and beaming sunshire in early November!

Jenni

A very expensive way of doing it. The costs of the onboard network are huge. Better off using decent walkies but make sure you dont end up on any of the staff channels lol.

Does anyone know if walkie talkies work well on cruise ships and if they do are they frowned upon ? I think they would be useful as the cruise ships are so large these days and they would be ideal for keeping intouch with the wife and family if we where on opposite ends of the ship ?

We use ours all the time. Keep the volume turned down so you don't bother people around you. One morning i was in the library and DH called when he hit the jackpot! Woke everyone up! LOL!!! When we are doing things seperately we use it to let the other know when we get back to the cabin or where to meet for lunch etc. Very handy, as was mentioned make sure you aren't on the staff channels.

A very expensive way of doing it. The costs of the onboard network are huge. Better off using decent walkies but make sure you dont end up on any of the staff channels lol.

I didnt find it too expensive on a pay as you go tarrif. As someone who doesnt use the phone excessively, I found that my credit didn't go down any quicker than normal, otherwise I would have promptly stopped texting!!

Didnt use them for communicating with husband on board though, perhaps sending and receiving them on onboard network is more expensive?

Jenni

Do any of the P&O ships like Ventura have wifi all around?

In which case if you have a couple of phones with wifi enabled you can call each other via the Internet connection, a lot cheaper to dial home as well.

Your such a swot Craig:D

Your such a swot Craig:D

Also worth joining btfon if you can.

http://btfon.com/

Brilliant in both UK and abroad. In London so many hot spots and peoples flats who have joined it's like a free mobile service.

In europe there are some venues around the port areas.

Check the maps before you go..

http://maps.fon.com/

Archived