When do GTY cabins become available to book?

DH and I would like to book a GTY cabin for the Serenade for next summer. On the website, it says that GTY cabins are not available to book online, and my TA states that they are not selling GTY cabins yet. Does anyone know how close to the cruise it has to be before booking a GTY?

Sometimes never. It all depends on the sailing, how booking are relative to how much time is left, and what the Revenue Management feels like on a perticular day ;)

There is no guarantee that there will be Guarantees :)

I am not a cruise industry insider, so the following opinion is just my guess on some of the thinking that goes on behind the whole GTY thing. I could be completely wrong... :)

I think one scenario for which GTY cabins are offered is when lower cost categories are sold out, but some of the higher priced categories are still available. To fill up the ship, the cruise line knows that the lower cost cabins will sell easier, so they sell GTYs at that lower price. Then as the time gets closer, they can move some of their loyalty folks up to the unsold higher priced cabins (which they assume by then will not sell) freeing up the lower cost cabins for the GTY folks.

I think it is very much a revenue and % sold equation, so as previously noted, not all sailings will have GTY cabins.

For what its worth... :)

Theron

I am not a cruise industry insider, so the following opinion is just my guess on some of the thinking that goes on behind the whole GTY thing. I could be completely wrong... :)

I think one scenario for which GTY cabins are offered is when lower cost categories are sold out, but some of the higher priced categories are still available. To fill up the ship, the cruise line knows that the lower cost cabins will sell easier, so they sell GTYs at that lower price. Then as the time gets closer, they can move some of their loyalty folks up to the unsold higher priced cabins (which they assume by then will not sell) freeing up the lower cost cabins for the GTY folks.

I think it is very much a revenue and % sold equation, so as previously noted, not all sailings will have GTY cabins.

For what its worth... :)

Theron

Checked for available inside cabins on the Mairner for 8-23-09, shows none available. Probably some are being held by TA's but I woud think they woud be released by now, 30 days from sailing. There are however, over 25 PR cabins available. There are about 20 outside still available. We booked a PR but our friends booked an inside, I bet they will get a visit from the upgrade fairy so their inside cabin can be sold. We are all are diamond. We usually book the inside(I like the dark room)but decided to try the PR one time, Deck 7 to get away from teh noise.

Interesting replies. On our last cruise, we booked a GTY balcony, and it was only a few months before the sailing. The ship was pretty full when we booked, but ended up being over sold (more than 2 per room, every room filled). We were just hoping to snag a room at a similar rate for our next cruise. I know all cruises are different, but we were just crossing our fingers!

Archived