What WOULDN'T you do in Alaska?

cruzin4us

are there alot of flightseeing accidents? After booking the tour, I have been concerned and questioning whether we should do this. At least on a commercial airline there is a co-pilot and various other checks and balances.

No, there are not alot of flightseeing accidents. 2007 saw a couple of really bad ones with cruise ship pax. We were mortified to hear of one crash and realizing we had just been on that plane weeks earlier.

The FAA has long been trying to improve flying safety in Alaska. There is just not very good communication systems in place for pilots to be able to check weather. This really is the major problem.

I just want to add that some folks don't understand the 'commercial' aspect of aviation. Any pilot who flies pax for pay must have a commercial rating. This includes flightseeing operation, airlines, and even flight instructing. ALL pilots who fly for money have to have this. The very highest rating a pilot can have is ATP (airline transport pilot) and I think most people would be surprised to know that even most airline pilots don't have it. Airlines require only captains (PIC) to hold the rating. FO's don't need it. In fact, a lot of your regional airline pilots are not even old enough to aquire the rating.

I just want to add that our DS is an airline pilot and DH has his private and instrument (we own a plane) so maybe that gives me some credibility-even though a couple of people here have called me a liar in the past. I'm just saying that we don't feel totally comfortable flying in Alaska. I'm not saying the pilots there are bad, I'm saying there are weather and communication issues.

no, no accidents. some bad decisions. the charter airplanes are commercial aircraft with stringent operating regulations. this is why lab is not flying this year.

five months of the year i get 1-2 hours a week of flight time in small aircraft. half of that time i am blissfully asleep. i also send out 6-15 persons a week to remote camps via small aircraft without even thinking that there's a more safe method.

but you are the best judge of your own comfort level. it's a holiday, not an endurance contest.

oh, i'm afraid of heights. you can't get me near the railing at the san jacinto monument or the cape hatteras lighthouse..........but i love looking out of small airplanes/helicopters.

LOL! We fly over the San Jac monument nearly every weekend.

We leave in 10 days for a cruisetour that includes the Riverboat Discovery Cruise in Fairbanks (already paid for :(). Has anyone been on this 3.5 hour ride? Is it worth the time or is there something better to do in Fairbanks with two kids (8 & 11). Is there a best place to sit on this boat?

We leave in 10 days for a cruisetour that includes the Riverboat Discovery Cruise in Fairbanks (already paid for :(). Has anyone been on this 3.5 hour ride? Is it worth the time or is there something better to do in Fairbanks with two kids (8 & 11). Is there a best place to sit on this boat?

I've been on the Discovery pretty much once a year for the past 20 years and always enjoy it. Educational, entertaining and professional without being slick.

We enjoyed it. It's a large boat and you can walk around freely. If you prefer to stay seated, one of the upper decks on the left side is best.

I've never been too fond of doing the riverboat because there are plenty of riverboats you can do all along the Mississippi very easily. We saw the one in Whitehorse. The history behind riding the major commercial lane of the 19th century and waving to Tom Sawyer was more interesting, IMHO.

I've never been too fond of doing the riverboat because there are plenty of riverboats you can do all along the Mississippi very easily. We saw the one in Whitehorse. The history behind riding the major commercial lane of the 19th century and waving to Tom Sawyer was more interesting, IMHO.

The one in Whitehorse doesn't move, and the Riverboat Discovery is about Native Alaskans and current life in Fairbanks, not about riverboats.

It's not like life in Fairbanks or of Native Alaskans revolves around riverboats. In St. Louis it sure did.

By any chance did YOU go on this tour? It's very informative and you learn about everything along the banks of the river and you stop and get off for a bit. Its a great tour. Karon

The thing I would caution others NOT to do is a fishing excursion booked through a cruise line. We booked all of ours with independents and were much happier than many of our fellow cruisers who paid more money and had a not so great time. One couple we know booked a Carnival fishing excursion in Ketchikan and paid $379 per person and they voiced their displeasure with Carnival quite loudly.

If you want to fish in Alaska do your homework and book with independents.

K.

as murray said, you need to read the history of the development of alaska and the yukon

I sort of already know they used a few riverboats 3 months out of the year (if that) during the Klondike, dude. It seems many area locals feel Alaska has to be #1 in everything. Sorry, but it's not. It's pretty safe to say that Alaska is not exactly #1 in riverboat tours.

We enjoyed it. It's a large boat and you can walk around freely. If you prefer to stay seated, one of the upper decks on the left side is best.

Yukon & CAA - Thanks for the advice. I will take the discovery cruise. I'm sure we'll enjoy learning the history and viewing the scenery.

Is the 3 hour Kenai Fjord Tour in Seward worth it? That may be all I have time for.

Has anyone done the kayaking in Ketchikan? Just thinking it may be a fun family thing.

Someone had good advice about only doing things I can't do at home and although I could rent a kayak and row around the intracoastal in South Florida, I never have and the view wouldn't be the same. The reality is I've lived here 30 years and still have not been to Lake Okeechobee, so maybe I need to travel 4800 miles to do something I can do in my backyard (or should I do the warm intracoastal waters). :)

I sort of already know they used a few riverboats 3 months out of the year (if that) during the Klondike, dude. It seems many area locals feel Alaska has to be #1 in everything. Sorry, but it's not. It's pretty safe to say that Alaska is not exactly #1 in riverboat tours.

You have no idea what the riverboat history of Alaska is, "dude". The Riverboat Discovery isn't the #1 riverboat tour in the world - nobody has compared it to the Mississippi or anywhere else. It's just a very good look at Alaska life, from a riverboat vantage point.

Is the 3 hour Kenai Fjord Tour in Seward worth it? That may be all I have time for.

Has anyone done the kayaking in Ketchikan? Just thinking it may be a fun family thing.

Given an option between taking the 3 hour Keani Fjords tour and touring the Sealife Center, I'd see the Sealife Center.

Kayaking in Ketchikan is very good, with sheltered waters and a rich sea.

Given an option between taking the 3 hour Keani Fjords tour and touring the Sealife Center, I'd see the Sealife Center.

Thanks. I'm staying out of the riverboat debate.;) Many viewpoints, that's why I read these threads.

Any recommendations on a good kayak tour company? I was just planning to book it at the dock.

Anyone do the salmon hatchery tour in Juneau?

Thanks. I'm staying out of the riverboat debate.;) Many viewpoints, that's why I read these threads.

Any recommendations on a good kayak tour company? I was just planning to book it at the dock.

Anyone do the salmon hatchery tour in Juneau?

Hi Starfish...

We are sailing on the Radiance next week...we will be kayaking in Ketchikan and are booked directly with Southeast Sea Kayaks...

www.kayakketchikan.com

They have a website rate and I think also a rate if you have the Alaskan Toursaver book. They were very nice on the phone...we are a family of 4 that have never kayaked before...with 15 yr and 12 yr...they split you in groups of 2 (some 3 if needed) by weight. We booked the shorter tour so that we have a bit of time in Ketchikan...we were there last year and had back to back excursions and never walked into town! If you are going after me, I would be happy to report back when I get home. You can go online and check availability...

Kathy

You have no idea what the riverboat history of Alaska is, "dude". The Riverboat Discovery isn't the #1 riverboat tour in the world - nobody has compared it to the Mississippi or anywhere else. It's just a very good look at Alaska life, from a riverboat vantage point.
I agree...this was a fun and interesting tour that happens to take place on a riverboat. The El Dorado gold mine, on the other hand....

I agree with Yukon here. We did the 3 hour and we could have passed on it but the longer one is suppose to be awesome. If you don't do the sealife center a trip to exit glacier or Seavey dog sled camp is good too! Karon:)

Exactly what I was thinking! Karon:)

WE WOULD NEVER AGAIN stay in the cabins on the river at Denali that are Native American owned.

They gave the KEY to our cabin to people checking in about midnight and we were terrified when awakened by the sound of the key in our lock.........our door opened...............we screamed and those poor people were scared too but.............they denied it ever happened until we worked and worked on them and their lies.

We didn't even get an apology and no one from the "Tribe Headquarters" would return our call.

We were told by local authorities that they have no power over those things because they are "Native American" and not under local jurisdiction.

So,

we paid for a night's rest and were terrified...........alone in the dark.............with no working telephone. (my daughter and I)

On the other hand, the restaurant down the road had the best breakfast in all of Alaska (but we already knew that from previous trips;)).

Exactly what I was thinking! Karon:)

Thanks. Looks like the Seward Windsong Lodge offers a guided tour of Exit Glacier. May do that in lieu of Sea Life Center. Still looking for something to do in Skagway in the morning before Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. Leave one week from today.:D

Archived