Handicapped access at the beaches 2009

Nightwing1

Snorkle Park and Horseshoe Beach

My family and I (13 people) just finished our first Cruise and our first trip to Bermuda. What a great time we had on the NCL DAWN (7/12-7/19) and what a beautiful island Bermuda is.

One of our family members is wheel chair bound, we knew going on this trip there would be limited things for Tom to do once we arrived in Bermuda.

Being docked at Kings Wharf, we decided to take Tom to Snorkle beach, we figured he would be able to get some sun and watch us swim, eat something from the snack bar etc.... We were very pleased with the facilities at Snorkle park. The kids and adults enjoyed swimming and snorkling. We saw lots of colorful fish and were very, very pleased with our trip there. There is snack bar and regular bar set up on the beach for our eating and drinking pleasure. There are sidewalks all the way from the Dock to Snorkle Park and navigating Tom there in his wheel chair was no problem. Once in Snorkle Park, Tom was able to join us on the beach. The Beach was solid enough to manuver the wheel chair right down to the water's edge and yes, Tom's sisters got him into the water. Tom is 46 years old and the last time he was swimming was at the age of 10 when his sisters took him to the local lake for a swim. Needless to say Tom enjoyed his chance to swim in bermudian waters.....

Also note that there is a TROLLEY That runs from the boats at KING'S WHARF all through the Dockyard shops and back. This Trolley has a handicapp section that allowed us to roll Tom onto the Trolley and made our trip to Snorkle beach and the Clock Tower Mall at the dockyards from the ships very nice.

As others have noted, there were not many handicapp accessible busses that we saw, the Taxi's we utilized were small, but usable for our handicaped friends if we had wanted to.

Our Second day in Bermuda, we decided to go to HORESHOE BEACH. Tom decided to stay on board the ship that day, while the other 12 went to the beach. HORSESHOE BEACH is one of the best beaches I have ever been too! We were very surprised to find at Horseshoe beach, 2 specialized wheelchairs for rent. Both chairs had big fat wheels for navigating in softer sand and one of them was designed to actually take the person right into the surf!!!! We were even more surprised to find that the cost was $10 a day with a $5 deposit.... same cost for chairs and umbrella's for everyone else on the beach.

These were the only two beaches I went to on my stay in bermuda and I was very sorry to have to go! What a great time we had!

Snorkle Park and Horseshoe Beach

My family and I (13 people) just finished our first Cruise and our first trip to Bermuda. What a great time we had on the NCL DAWN (7/12-7/19) and what a beautiful island Bermuda is.

One of our family members is wheel chair bound, we knew going on this trip there would be limited things for Tom to do once we arrived in Bermuda.

Being docked at Kings Wharf, we decided to take Tom to Snorkle beach, we figured he would be able to get some sun and watch us swim, eat something from the snack bar etc.... We were very pleased with the facilities at Snorkle park. The kids and adults enjoyed swimming and snorkling. We saw lots of colorful fish and were very, very pleased with our trip there. There is snack bar and regular bar set up on the beach for our eating and drinking pleasure. There are sidewalks all the way from the Dock to Snorkle Park and navigating Tom there in his wheel chair was no problem. Once in Snorkle Park, Tom was able to join us on the beach. The Beach was solid enough to manuver the wheel chair right down to the water's edge and yes, Tom's sisters got him into the water. Tom is 46 years old and the last time he was swimming was at the age of 10 when his sisters took him to the local lake for a swim. Needless to say Tom enjoyed his chance to swim in bermudian waters.....

Also note that there is a TROLLEY That runs from the boats at KING'S WHARF all through the Dockyard shops and back. This Trolley has a handicapp section that allowed us to roll Tom onto the Trolley and made our trip to Snorkle beach and the Clock Tower Mall at the dockyards from the ships very nice.

As others have noted, there were not many handicapp accessible busses that we saw, the Taxi's we utilized were small, but usable for our handicaped friends if we had wanted to.

Our Second day in Bermuda, we decided to go to HORESHOE BEACH. Tom decided to stay on board the ship that day, while the other 12 went to the beach. HORSESHOE BEACH is one of the best beaches I have ever been too! We were very surprised to find at Horseshoe beach, 2 specialized wheelchairs for rent. Both chairs had big fat wheels for navigating in softer sand and one of them was designed to actually take the person right into the surf!!!! We were even more surprised to find that the cost was $10 a day with a $5 deposit.... same cost for chairs and umbrella's for everyone else on the beach.

These were the only two beaches I went to on my stay in bermuda and I was very sorry to have to go! What a great time we had!

glad you enjoyed your cruise - and so did Tom. Thanks for letting us know Hourshoe Beach now has sand wheelchairs - what time did you see them on the beach. we would hate to get there and find both in use.

We are taking our Mom to Bermuda this October. She is in a wheelchair, and I really appreciate your information! Looks like we can access both beaches, and the trolley sounds viable, too. Did you, and Tom, use the ferry? I understand that there are wheelchair friendly ferries also!

Thanks again for this useful information. Glad you all had a good time!

glad you enjoyed your cruise - and so did Tom. Thanks for letting us know Hourshoe Beach now has sand wheelchairs - what time did you see them on the beach. we would hate to get there and find both in use.

We were at Horseshoe beach on Thursday at 11am, and then on Friday @ 9am and the chairs were both there..... GOOD LUCK and I hope you enjoy your trip! Let us know how you make out if you do get to use the chairs!

We are taking our Mom to Bermuda this October. She is in a wheelchair, and I really appreciate your information! Looks like we can access both beaches, and the trolley sounds viable, too. Did you, and Tom, use the ferry? I understand that there are wheelchair friendly ferries also!

Thanks again for this useful information. Glad you all had a good time!

THANK YOU - we did have a great time.. unfortunently we did not utilize the Ferry, but as I understand it, it is handicapp accessable.

Thanks for a great review. We will be in Bermuda in August with my parents both in wheelchairs. Can you walk to snorkel park from the ship or is it too far?

Thanks@

You can walk all the way to snorkle park, just follow the signs... infact from the Dockyard where the boat is docked, Snorkle Park is on the other side of the Fort!

Archived