Freedom 8 Day Western Cruise Report...With Photos!

AryMay

arymay

still reading your review! trying to get my son to look at your panama excursion as a possible eagle scout project!!

looking to sail on this cruise next summer

Just out of curiosity...what would the "project" be? :confused:

gathering the donations that are listed on their website (clothes, books, certain food etc) and sending it to them

Sounds like a worthwhile project! Would your son "send" the stuff to them or would you take it? (You mentioned you were considering this cruise for next summer.) What a great experience for your son if he could "deliver" the things he collected personally. :)

thanks for taking the time in posting your review and pictures. i enjoyed this immensely.

Thank you for this wonderful review. Loved all the pics, too! I had saved this ship and itin in my saved searches a few weeks ago, and had been considering it. Your review really inspired me now!

You are both welcome! :) I actually had a few more things to add to the review, but got irritated when some of my pictures wouldn't show up...so I quit. At this point I can't quite remember what else I was going to cover. :confused:

Still can't figure out why some photos show up and some don't. Sometimes I can see them when I use Internet Explorer but not with Google Chrome. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain this...

Awesome review.

Did you take all your pictures with the Canon D10? I'm trying to decide on a waterproof digital camera before our cruise and I'm running out of time!;)

Most of the photos on the ship were taken with my older Canon SD200. All of the port photos were with the D10. I also used the D10 to get the photo and video of the rain & waves. It was fun to be able to use a digital camera in the rain and not have to worry!

Here is a link to a thread I started back in April before I purchased the Canon D10...lots of input and opinions from others on waterproof digital cameras.

The only downside to the Canon D10 is that it is a bit bulky...that is why I used the my old camera around the ship...I could just tuck it into my pocket. Other than size I am very pleased with the D10.

Have a great time on your cruise...and we would love to see photos from whatever camera you buy!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be there too!

Me too!

What an great review! Thank you so much for taking the time and putting that much detail into it. It looks like you had an unbelievable time in Panama. I would love to do that tour! Sadly, I don't think I could afford it. Even the tour in Costa Rica looked really great.

I've always been scared to take an excursion that is not with Carnival. I've heard so many horror stories.

THANKS AGAIN!!! GREAT REVIEW!

did he keep to his word on the email and was it a comfortable ride. we are sailing out on the 26th of september and i was looking for somthing to do in costa rica and colon and was just curious with these tour companies ahead of time or wait until i get off the ship. please help with input

[

=AryMay;20511687]Rey went into the grocery store with us (while some chose to stay in the van) and showed us different kinds of coffee. There was also a representative from one of the coffee companies who helped me pick out some espresso beans for my daughter-in-law. I took a picture of the cash register display after buying several bags of coffee and a bottle of vanilla…converted into US money…$12. When I realized how cheap it was I ran back and got a few more bags!

IMG_0229.JPG

Just down the street from the grocery store was a drugstore...I hadn't noticed the big sign on the front until I got home and looked at my photos!

IMG_0230.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mary, my family and I are travelling this same route leaving 10/24. I have been reading your posts for the past 2 hours...wonderful!!! thank you so much for taking the time to do that, you have blessed so many by all your details!!! Sincerely, Dina in CO

Dear Mary, my family and I are travelling this same route leaving 10/24. I have been reading your posts for the past 2 hours...wonderful!!! thank you so much for taking the time to do that, you have blessed so many by all your details!!! Sincerely, Dina in CO

I am so glad you took time to read it all...I never mean to get so long winded...it just happens when I start remembering all of the details and fun. Hopefully you will take the time to post at least a "little" review or perhaps some photos? We all love to cruise vicariously through others!

• 2 weeks later...

Going on Freedom in Feb2010 and would love to do the excursion with Anna. How long was the tour and price per person. It will be my husband and I. We too hate crowds and want to get away from touristy experiences.. Thanks again for such a great review

This has been a great review! I've read through it kind of quickly though and may have missed some points.

Could you tell me what night are the Elegant nights and do many dress up or are most going more casual?

And did you do the cooking demo/class? Was it fun?

Was the ballroom/cha cha class during late seating? it seems that is usually when it is and we do late seating so we always miss them. Wish they would do them later.

We aren't doing this cruise until June 2010. Reading your review really makes me wish it was sooner. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Kelly

Going on Freedom in Feb2010 and would love to do the excursion with Anna. How long was the tour and price per person. It will be my husband and I. We too hate crowds and want to get away from touristy experiences.. Thanks again for such a great review

Our tour with Anne was definitely the highlight of our cruise! I don't think you will find any tour guide who is more knowledgeable of the Embera than she is!

Here are the prices (copied & pasted from Anne's website):

Day Trip prices:

Prices vary depending on the size of the group:

Adults

1 person $150.00

2 people $110.00/ea.

3 people $100.00/ea.

4 people $95.00/ea.

5+people $90.00/ea.

Kids 5-12 $75.00-$50.00/ea.

Kids under 5 free

You will need to make a 25% down payment to reserve the tour... the remaining amount you will pay directly to Anne. We watched as she gave much of this payment directly to the Embera before we left the village. We used Paypal to make the down payment and it worked out great.

Anne's website is http://www.emberavillagetours.com/

Be sure and tell her that Bob and Mary say "hi" if you contact her!

Do u remember what days where formal nights? I am going over christmas and I think christmas day will be formal night. who knows

On our cruise the formal nights were on Sunday and Friday. If they keep things the same then, yes, your formal night will be on Christmas day.

Great Review! We are thinking about changing to this cruise, rather than the NCL that we have booked right now! Sounds like a great trip!

Besides some interesting, new ports...I really loved having FOUR sea days. DH and I were just talking last night about how we still didn't find time to do everything onboard that we had hoped. I never even saw the miniature golf! Going on a cruise with only 2 sea days will be tough now...

Thanks for the great info. I just sent an email to anne in regards to our upcoming cruise there. I told her you said hi.

bchbum641...I hope it works out for you to spend a day with Anne. Please make sure to write a report when you return! We hope someday to return to Panama and possibly spend more time in one of the Embera villages.

Archived