Staff assigned to babysitting jobs

I was looking at another thread by a former Celebrity employee and the question came up about which staff members provides babysitting services. His response was as follows:

"The babysitting is usually done by housekeeping staff. They have asked the dancers to help out during busy times however."

The thread is here (which, btw, provides a lot of other interesting info about cruise life): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=110858

I thought that given that X and RCL are the same company, the staffing choice may also be the case on RCL ships. Just providing the info, I have no wish to beat to death another topic. I thought this would be of interest to parents who use or are considering using the service, and am posting it as information only.

Cheers,

Esther

yes remember its the housekeeping staff that has the keys to every room. These people go through relatively strong background checks before they are let on board. If they are traveling to the US they must be finger printed and background checks done before the US issues a visa- even if its just an intransit visa...and the thread that this was discussed, just like Elvis, has left the building...

smeyer18,

From an FAQ about getting a cruise ship job:

What kind of official documentation is required in order to obtain employment with an U.S. based cruise line (i.e. passports, visas etc.)?

U.S. and Canadian citizens need just a passport, valid for at least three months after the end of the contract.
All other nationalities need a C1-D U.S. seaman's visa, which is easy to obtain (it takes about one-two business days) from any U.S. consulate abroad.

Do you call this a relatively strong background check?

smeyer18,

What kind of official documentation is required in order to obtain employment with an U.S. based cruise line (i.e. passports, visas etc.)?

U.S. and Canadian citizens need just a passport, valid for at least three months after the end of the contract.
All other nationalities need a C1-D U.S. seaman's visa, which is easy to obtain (it takes about one-two business days) from any U.S. consulate abroad.

Umm, that's the visa they need to be allowed to work on the ship. I'm sure the companies will put the people they hire (as mentioned, certainly those in specific "critical" positions) through further checks. Just cause you get a work visa, doesn't automatically mean that they'll hire you or that it stops there.

My g/f (Canadian) had to get a full criminal record check + fingerprinting done by the RCMP.

smeyer18,

I don't know where that info comes from but its not accurate..the ICE people and the consulates require a full background check and an in person interview before ANY visa is issued post 9-11. The cost of this must be paid in advance whether its issued or not. I am not sure how accurate it is, but I have always felt safe on a ship allowing the cleaning staff in my room without me there and I am quite sure that no visa is issued in a day or two. The reports are that even tourist visa are taking months to issue. There are some visa waiver programs but they don't apply to the Ship employment ones(if you are on a ship and don't have a visa to enter into the US- and are on the crew there is a special procedure to supply a list at least 72 hours in advance to entry but as we have seen they have kicked ships out or prevented them from entering a port if there is a late submission)

here is the Department of State website on Visas

http://unitedstatesvisas.gov/visapolicy/procedures.html

I wouldn't want the housekeeping staff babysitting my children. That's like asking the construction guy working on my addition to come back that evening and "take care of little Johnny, we're going out!" Yes, I checked out his references prior to hiring him to work on my house, but it doesn't mean he's the right person for the job when it comes to taking care of children. :rolleyes:

I wonder if cruise lines will be discontinuing in-room baby sitting after the recent law suit because of liability issues. Only problem with background checks (at least as far as child abuse issues go), is that they only pick up something if the individual has actually been caught and charges filed.

Smeyer418,

The only documentation you need (from the US Government's point of view) to be hired as crew on a cruiseship is a passport and a C1/D visa.

You may debate how thoroughly embassies check applicants before giving them the C1/D, but that's all you need. And it is one of the easiest visa to obtain.

Maybe I just watch tooooo much tv news but I never understood how people who make absolutely certain to lock up their valuables in the safe don't mind leaving their precious children alone and defenseless with the same people they were trying to keep away from their jewels and travelers checks.

How could you go off for a night of dancing while your kids are behind a locked closed door with someone you don't know? You feel it's okay because RCCL hired them to clean rooms? It isn't that they aren't trustworthy or wonderful people but how would you know? YOU DON'T KNOW THEM. You don't know about their background, their country, their family, their customs or how they really FEEL about kids.

THEY ARE STRANGERS.

Let's face it.... in a lot of third world countries little girls are not exactly a prized possession. I don't mean they are going to throw them over the side but maybe there will be impatience... or even worse. After all, who is there to see?

I could take anything life throws at me but everyday I beg the Good Lord to look after my grandbabies. Something happening to them is the one thing that I just don't think I could bear. There is probably a 99% chance that the babysitter they send to your cabin will just do their job and it will be fine. But what if that evening the odds aren't in your favor? Will a night of dancing be worth the possible cost?

Parents have an obligation to KNOW the people that they trust their children alone with. We go on cruises with our kids so we will be there to babysit if they want to leave our "grands" in bed sleeping while they dance. If we aren't free to travel with them they leave the kids at home with us and go cruising by themselves.

That's why God invented grandparents and families. Share the joy... take a "nanny" with you.

mj.jpg

:)

Maybe I just watch tooooo much tv news but I never understood how people who make absolutely certain to lock up their valuables in the safe don't mind leaving their precious children alone and defenseless with the same people they were trying to keep away from their jewels and travelers checks.

How could you go off for a night of dancing while your kids are behind a locked closed door with someone you don't know? You feel it's okay because RCCL hired them to clean rooms? It isn't that they aren't trustworthy or wonderful people but how would you know? YOU DON'T KNOW THEM. You don't know about their background, their country, their family, their customs or how they really FEEL about kids.

THEY ARE STRANGERS.

Let's face it.... in a lot of third world countries little girls are not exactly a prized possession. I don't mean they are going to throw them over the side but maybe there will be impatience... or even worse. After all, who is there to see?

I could take anything life throws at me but everyday I beg the Good Lord to look after my grandbabies. Something happening to them is the one thing that I just don't think I could bear. There is probably a 99% chance that the babysitter they send to your cabin will just do their job and it will be fine. But what if that evening the odds aren't in your favor? Will a night of dancing be worth the possible cost?

Parents have an obligation to KNOW the people that they trust their children alone with. We go on cruises with our kids so we will be there to babysit if they want to leave our "grands" in bed sleeping while they dance. If we aren't free to travel with them they leave the kids at home with us and go cruising by themselves.

That's why God invented grandparents and families. Share the joy... take a "nanny" with you.

mj.jpg

:)

I agree with everything you said, hithere, but yet... You post a picture of your little darling on the internet, for hundreds of thousands to see???

This is absurd. Sorry. But it is. They would know who I am how? I use a school server, I've never published my name or even my email address. YOU also publish photos of your family so it is sort of like the pot calling the kettle black. ;)

I suppose someone could find me if they wanted to devote enough time or money to tracking me down. But why? Thousands and thousands of family photos (including your own?) have been either published here or linked here. This kind of parnoid thinking goes way beyond leaving your young child in the hands of a stranger in a locked room while one goes out dancing or night clubbing.

Anything on webshots is more or less public property. On your webshots page you not only show your family photos you directly link to photos of other children. We also find plenty of kids photos on webshots linked by clicking on lunyma's Favorite Members.

Kids the age of my grandchild are published in magazines, newspapers and advertisements everyday, they appear on TV shows and they are put up all over the internet in places like webshots. Again, the subject was leaving your children (or grandchildren) locked in a closed room with a stranger the parents know nothing about. You somehow get from there to putting up a photo of a child and that image somehow putting that child in danger. That is one HUGE leap.

Frankly, I'm surprised that RCCL would want to be in the private babysitting business in cabins. There is just too much chance for abuse when doors are locked and curtains drawn. But I'm even more surprised that careful parents would (probably without thinking of the dangers) take advantage of such a service.

Everyone has got to raise their kids their own way. I don't think parents who take advantage of in cabin babysitting are bad parents. But for me and mine... we'll pass.

Mamma and hithere.... I apologize...

Yes... there ARE pics of MY kids online as well. I just think that younger kids tend to be more of a *target*, for the whackos... They all are, actually... you both have beautiful kids (or grandkids), and I know that you want to share that. Yup... Maybe I'm paranoid. My post was meant only to be in your best interest. I am sorry... Hope you both have a great holiday WITH your babies :)

And again... I agree about leaving your precious ones alone with strangers! I would never have done that with my own kids...

Lunyma--Absolutely NO NEED to apologize! :) I appreciate your wanting to be cautious and find it very comforting that there are people who care that much about OTHER peoples kids/grandkids that they would want to share their concerns.

Lunyma, I agree that there are sickos everywhere. Unfortunately no one is safe anywhere; young children, elderly folk, even adults are targets for these whackos. We all need to look out for eachother. Thanks for voicing your concerns.

Merry Christmas to you and your families. 8_2_85v.gif

But I still believe that you guys should keep your kids (or grandkids) pics, off the internet... There's lots of whackos out there, who CAN and WILL find them...
Yep, just as much as they can seeing her playing with me at the mall. Putting my daughter's picture up on the net has saved me countless thousands of $$$ for not having to print up pictures for all of my distant relatives. I however have never once used my daughter's real name online. So I am not terribly worried.

Most of her photos are in password protected directories on her website and you won't find my real legal name anywhere online.

Yes I did because the Ms. and I wanted a chance to spend some alone time at dinner. Little kids were not allowed in the speciality restaurant nor at the Captain's table. We felt entirely comfortable with our decision. We had the same person both nights. No reason to wonder.

We will be using in-cabin babysitting next week for similar reasons.

My question is, are some becoming paranoid? This is one allegation. I repeat allegation. Not one thing has been confirmed. It could have been motivated by the cruiseline's deep pockets. I repeat "could". It is such a rare allegation, that it was reported in the media which by the way just eats these juicy allegations up. Facts are not always important to the media or the attorneys. No company is going to hire people into positions of trust without doing their due dillegence with background checks and criminal records inquirys. Can someone slip through all the checks? Sure. Just like the teachers or law enforcement officers at home.

Lunyma--Absolutely NO NEED to apologize! :) I appreciate your wanting to be cautious and find it very comforting that there are people who care that much about OTHER peoples kids/grandkids that they would want to share their concerns.

Lunyma, I agree that there are sickos everywhere. Unfortunately no one is safe anywhere; young children, elderly folk, even adults are targets for these whackos. We all need to look out for eachother. Thanks for voicing your concerns.

Merry Christmas to you and your families. 8_2_85v.gif

Thanks for understanding, Mamma...

Flagger... Love your Weim! Do you have the real thing? Best darn dog on earth :)

<------ waving hi to John!

Archived