RCI tries 'instant ads'

jleq

I saw one of these ads this week and was, sadly, less than impressed. Maybe they'll get better. I hope they work for the sake of my favorite cruise line. (Not to mention the stock price!) But they seemed to lack the energy I associate with a RCL cruise and didn't seem to encourage an urgent "Get Out There" attitude.

The ad I saw was the one mentioned in the article. It showed a guest in the boxing ring (come on...who even uses those boxing rings on Freedom Class??) and some guy singing karaoke (I can do karaoke on land). The only unique activity depicted was the rock-climbing wall, shown at night. I think it's a mistake to show activities that average people can do at home. How does this encourage people to open up their wallets to book a cruise?

In these economic times, why not borrow from the old Celebrity commercials and focus on the kind of service cruise passengers have come to expect? The people at a land-based resort are unlikely to call me by name or remember how I take my coffee.

In these economic times, why not focus on the value of a cruise vacation over a land-based vacation?

In these economic times, why not focus on the fact that guests visit multiple locations and experience an endless array of fun activities for a very reasonable cost.

So far, I think the focus of these spots has been off the mark and I'm a little disappointed.

Archived