Impressions of Alaska in September

Hblanton

My first cruise to Alaska was in Sept. 02. Weather was cold but mostly sunny. We did get our first "Termination Dust" in Skagway. Ketchican was rainy and our Mysty Fjord Flight was cancelled, but we found other thingss to do so no biggie.

I live in So. Cailf along the coast of San Diego. I am 1 1/2 mile from the beach. We have been experiencing hot and humid days here on the coast which I hate. So I am looking forward to the cool weather of Alaska. Hopefully they won't have an unexpected heat wave! To me, Alaska is the land of snow and ice.

I have booked a September Sailing and Cruise Tour with my neighbor. We will be in Anchorage on the first of September. I can hardly wait! Yes, the prices in town are cheaper as everyone is closing down for the winter. The weather if iffy, but I have taken many trips to Scotland and Ireland and the weather if ALWAYS iffy there, so I am prepared for layers.

We will be in the interior for at least 11 days before our cruise from Whittier to Vancouver . As I remember, the fireweed will be in full bloom which reminds me so much of the heather in Scotland.

From my pictures and trip in Sept. 02, there was much wildlife to see. Again, I can hardly wait for September to get here!

BTW, if you are planning a trip to the Med. go late in September or early October. You will find the weather much less humid and comfortable.

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

On our first Alaska trip (it was in September) we had wonderful weather untill Juneau where we went out Whale watching in a sleet/snow storm. It was wonderful. In addition to the whales we saw a seal chase a large fish into the air then catch and eat it. We don't have that kind of thing in the Carolinas. We head out again Sept 7 for our fourth trip to Alaska and our second in Sept. The one thing I have learned is to expect the unexpected and enjoy the supprise. Have a great trip

Our Alaskan cruise started Sept. 5, 2007 and the weather was great. It misted, lightly rained in Icy Strait Point. We stood under an awning for maybe five minutes. That was the only weather issue. When we were at Hubbard glacier my DH wore a short sleeve t-shirt. We wore jackets when we took the helicopter to the glaciers in Skagway and when we chartered a float plane for an hour in Juneau. We had great weather. Our son and daughter in law went the next year, the second week in July and didn't have such good weather. I think it is just the luck of the draw and we had a good draw.

Our Alaskan cruise started Sept. 5, 2007 and the weather was great. It misted, lightly rained in Icy Strait Point. We stood under an awning for maybe five minutes. That was the only weather issue. When we were at Hubbard glacier my DH wore a short sleeve t-shirt. We wore jackets when we took the helicopter to the glaciers in Skagway and when we chartered a float plane for an hour in Juneau. We had great weather. Our son and daughter in law went the next year, the second week in July and didn't have such good weather. I think it is just the luck of the draw and we had a good draw.

I think so too. As I said, I have been to Scotland and Ireland several times and no matter what time of year you go, the weather is always iffy. You just just dress in layers. Alaska is the same way. You could have 20 degree weather in July and 90 degrees in September or visa versa. Just be prepared. I am not going to take my goosedown jacket. I am going to buy me one of those $20 all weather coats when I get to Anchorage.

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

Archived