***LIVE*** onboard Grand Princess 12/18-28

PhilipNTx

Hula Girl that is not true about the current pool. The current pool and the rear terrace pool is adults only. I believe Phillip was not talking about the pool under the retactable roof. :)
The current pool was open for children during certain hours.

Is the surcharge for Sabitini's and the Steakhouse $20.00 a person, or is that for the group? How soon did you make a reservation upon boarding? Do you have to eat with a group or are there tables for two?

Looking forward to your replies!

Sabatini's is $20 per person and the Steakhouse is $15 per person. You can have a table for two. For best selection of days and or times you might want to make your reservations the day you embark the ship.

Yes, he did refer to the pool under the retractable roof and I know it isn't a kids only pool. They must have changed the current pool from the beginning. When we first sailed on the Grand and the Golden they did have a 2 hour window that kids could swim in that pool because our daughter was able to go with us for a short time. We would have never taken her at 11 years of age, if she wasn't allowed there. Haven't looked at that pool recently and never even went in the pools last summer on the Grand when we were in the Baltic, since we didn't have the time.

Thank you Paula for pasting what was said! I didn't think I was nuts, but you never know.

Hulagirl

The jogging track is only open 8-8. It says 8PM - 8AM on the signs, but I think we can safely assume that's an error. Personally, I do a lot of running at night, and the cruise literature never said anything about the promenade deck being for walkers as opposed to runners. (I could've sworn it said for both.) I never realized that walkers found runners interfered with their enjoyment...I wish I had known and apologize.
No need to apologize there is nothing that says the promenade deck is restricted to walkers. It just gets "old" to have to be bumped frequently and/or asked to stop walking and move aside so the runners can pass. Most acted like they "owned" the deck and we walkers should not be in their way. I just found it surprising that with the narrowness of this deck that the jogging track wasn't more suited for their needs."

I will admit that the entire cruise, there were these 2 little boys who I constantly saw unsupervised. They'd strike up loud conversations with total strangers, clearly annoying the piss out of some people, and throwing ship decorations around. :eek:
Sounds like the two that took the name tags and that I told to be quiet at 1:50 AM when they were out in the hallway.

Hey all,

BJS: I think that smell in the water was the sulphur that is usually used to purify water somehow. At least that's what I've been told. You're right: it stunk!

CarolynL4: They did have a bar hop contest. If you got a mixed drink or Dos Equis at each of the bars, they would stamp a card that you carried around. Get them all stamped and you got a free t-shirt. I got one, and it says "I completed the Princess bar hop" along with the requisite advertising for Dos Equis.

Enjinox: The surcharge is $20/person in Sabatini's and $15 at the steakhouse -- also per person. There are tables for 2 at both. We made the reservation for the steakhouse on the 2nd day and had no problems making a reservation for the 2nd sea day. For Sabatini's someone else made the reservation, but they did it only 2 days before and it was for Christmas Day. I have a feeling it was easy to make reservations because of all the families. The 2 families we saw in Sabatini's had kids who were asleep late into the meal or had their heads laying on the table.

Chasingships: For Harbor House, we got a room that faced the ships, but the building next door blocked most of the view. I think if you got a room at the end of the hotel (water's end), you might be able to see the ship(s). The rooms were very nice and large. It had two queen-size beds, a full-size couch, chair, coffee table, and small writing desk. Additionally there was an armoire for the TV. They could really do so much more with the hotel. To me it was a unique hotel. Absolutely no need to drive over to the pier, as it's barely a block away. However, if you do have some large pieces of luggage you may want to after all. But we walked, towing 5 pieces of luggage that were easily hooked together.

Regarding the covered pool and whether or not it was adults-only: on the first day of the cruise, there was a sign that said "adults only." It was, however, one of those moveable, temporary signs; so, it's very possible they removed the sign later in the day or another time. The current pool allows children with adult supervision from noon-3pm each day. And, actually, the aft pool says "adults only" yet there is another sign that says children must be accompanied by an adult. Oy!

A tip on a place to eat breakfast in Galveston: We ate at the Phoenix Bakery. Really good Eggs Benedict. As for dinner the night before, we walked over to the Fisherman's Wharf. It, like almost every other seafood place in the area, is owned by Landry's. The food was ok, but nothing spectacular.

Still trying to write that review of mine.....

Philip

Odd question I know, but 4 of us are travelling together and one is a vegetarian (does eat fish though) and the other 3 LOVE steak. Is there anything at the steakhouse for veggies?
Steak, chicken and fish of the day are the usual selections for main course.

Thanks for the reply. We went on the Rhapsody out of Galveston last year, the day we returned was the superbowl. We had to wait about 3 hours after we got our luggage in line in the cold to catch a cab with a 5 year old. We figured it would be a lot easier to stay close to the terminal so we could just walk to our car. Thanks for the info!!!

Renee

Danuber,

Yes, there was one fish (and one chicken) selection at the Sterling Steakhouse. One option, too, is to order two or more appetizers. There was a shrimp cocktail with HUGE shrimp -- much larger than the cocktail in the main dining rooms. There was also a really good spinach artichoke dip.

Sabatini's definitely had fish options (scallops, Chilean sea bass), and plenty of vegetables as the antipasto. And a really good minestrone.

Enjoy!

Philip

Archived