Gratuities in Specialty Restaurants?

ajames

What is the practice here? Does one tip the waiter/waitress when dining in a specialty restaurant (e.g., Cagneys)? If so, how much does one tip? Thanks.

Yes, we tip at the specialty restaurants and base the tip on what we would pay for a meal in a fine dining restaurant at home and of course, the service we receive (always excellent!). I'm not sure, and maybe someone else can confirm this, but I think the wait staff share in the tips. We try to tip in cash but if we forget to take cash, we just write the tip on the slip that you sign at the end of your meal.

The cost of the specialty restaurants vary as I recall from $10 to $25 -- I think Cagney's is $20 per person. We've never eaten at Cagney's (my daughter is vegetarian) but always go to LeBistro ($15) where they offer a vegetarian choice.

What is the practice here? Does one tip the waiter/waitress when dining in a specialty restaurant (e.g., Cagneys)? If so, how much does one tip? Thanks.

A lot of people do, we do because we always receive exceptional service in the specialties, but you do NOT have to.

Yes, we tip at the specialty restaurants and base the tip on what we would pay for a meal in a fine dining restaurant at home and of course, the service we receive (always excellent!). I'm not sure, and maybe someone else can confirm this, but I think the wait staff share in the tips. We try to tip in cash but if we forget to take cash, we just write the tip on the slip that you sign at the end of your meal.

The cost of the specialty restaurants vary as I recall from $10 to $25 -- I think Cagney's is $20 per person. We've never eaten at Cagney's (my daughter is vegetarian) but always go to LeBistro ($15) where they offer a vegetarian choice.

So you tip based on a $100 to $200 a person vs the $25 a person you might be paying on NCL?

Michael

So you tip based on a $100 to $200 a person vs the $25 a person you might be paying on NCL?

Michael

I sure don't base it on what the meal would have cost me at home. I am sure some do, but the crew always seem very pleased to receive anything at all.

It depends:

If the service is good, yes we will leave a small tip. I guess we are cheap because we don't tip to the level that we would of we were paying the "real" price at a land restaurant.

Only once did we not leave a tip at a specialty restaurant (for some reason the service was really NOT good one night in Le Bistro on our last cruise).

I hate to say that I can not remember how much we tip for the specialty restaurants. I can't remember if it is $10.00 or $20.00 but I know it is one of the two. I can't swear to it, but I believe NewMexicoNita posted once that if you leave it on your room key, they have to share the tip with all of the servers (Nita forgive me if that wasn't you or if you said something different). Maybe she will read this and confirm or deny. I do know since I read that we always try to leave cash, but I am sure they appreciate it either way. Trust me, they apprecaite any amount of tip you leave as they know you are doing extra and showing your appreciation. We try to always tip in the MDR's and Cagneys for breakfast and lunch as well.

You've already left as a tip some part of your $12/day gratuity charge, just as you would have if you dined in a non-surcharge restaurant. We look at the additional charge for the specialty restaurant (e.g., $15/person or $30 for two at Le Bistro) and tip an additional 15-20% of that surcharge amount.

I sure don't base it on what the meal would have cost me at home. I am sure some do, but the crew always seem very pleased to receive anything at all.

I hope not, otherwise the "affordable" speciality restaurant is looking expensive :)

Michael

Whether or not you decide to tip, do take time to fill out the little comment card when you receive excellent service.

We ate early in the Asian restaurant. It was not busy at the time, and our 2 waiters were exceptional and chatted a bit with us as they served. The senior waiter told us that promotions are greatly helped by positive comments on these cards. His hope was to continue to move up in the NCL organization. As we normally do, we left a tip, and we also filled out the cards. I think they were more happy to receive the comment cards than the tip.

I picked up several cards at the reception desk and filled them out for other employees who gave exceptional service.

You've already left as a tip some part of your $12/day gratuity charge, just as you would have if you dined in a non-surcharge restaurant. We look at the additional charge for the specialty restaurant (e.g., $15/person or $30 for two at Le Bistro) and tip an additional 15-20% of that surcharge amount.

You know now that I read your posting that is exactly how we do it. I was thinking Cagneys when I posted and for some reason always think of Cagneys as $25.00 PP, which for us would be a $10.00 tip. I always leave a 20% tip when I tip because the math is just easier for me.. LOL

We do not tip extra. We have been advised that there is no more need/requirement to tip in the speciality restaurants, than there is in the MDR.

For what it's worth, on another cruise line we use it is stated that the surcharge is basically the tip for exceptional service (although surely some of the cost is for a better cut of meat, or an item that can't be found elsewhere in the free restaurants) and there is no need to tip more, but it's up to the individuals being served.

Therefore, extrapolating, I'd guess that is true on NCL. I've only eaten in one surcharge restaurant. And on that occasion the food nor service were any better than what we'd have had in the main dining room and we did not leave anything. I do think that if we'd been really "wowed" we might have left something. I was dining on the first night of the cruise, with people from the roll call. We discussed the matter and it was a mutual decision. BTW it was the Italian restaurant on Dawn.

FYI... from an article entitled, "When Do I Tip on My Cruise?"

http://www.leisuregrouptravel.com/archives/December2005/Cruise1205.pdf

Specialty Restaurants

and Gratuities

New specialty restaurants create more

dining alternatives and more tipping

questions. Some cruise lines include the

tip in the dining fee.

Those who include the gratuity in

the surcharge are Celebrity Cruises,

Royal Caribbean, Costa Cruises and

Holland America Line. Cunard Line

and Princess Cruises believe the guest

has already paid restaurant gratuities,

so no additional gratuity is required.

The surcharge is for the restaurant and

not for the service. This is similar with

NCL’s ships, where the “service fee”

covers guests dining regardless of the

restaurant selected.

Yes--we always tip in these restaurants, and usually give the maitre d' something too. Cagney's is a little different situation in our opinion. If you are in a suite and have the option to dine there for breakfast and lunch, there is no surcharge to "cover" the gratuity. It seems to us it is even more appropriate to tip at that time. We have never felt that any of the servers in specialty restaurants expected anything, and we are aware that many do not tip extra, which seems to be fine with them--you will never be made to feel as though you have made a faux pas, but their wonderful service is always worthy of a special thank you in the form of an additional gratuity should you choose to reward them in this way. And, yes, the STLYLE cards mean a LOT to them.

I've read about the crab benedict at breakfast in Cagney's but nothing about what the lunch menu has that is special. Anyone have that menu? in case it is open for non-suite passengers for $12.50 on any sailing I'm on, I'd love to know. Thanks

The servers rotate through the specialty restaurants and the MDR. We didn't feel the service was anything exceptionally better in the specialty restaurants. We didn't leave an additional tip.

We were told by two servers, one in Cagney's, and one in le Bistro, who were specifically contracted to work in those restaurants. One was ouystanding, the other just good.

Archived