Belize via NCL 2010

langleyfld

We'll be in Belize in March 2010 on NCL Spirit. We are deciding on 3 excursions in Belize, please help!

Mayan Ruins of Altun Ha (3 1/2/ hrs.)

Altun Ha Ruins and Olde Belize River (4 1/2 hrs.)

Lamanai & New River Safari 7 1/2/ hrs.)

Anyone have a clue which is better? We'd like time to explore and walk around the ruin on our own, but we do intend to book thru NCL. Which ruin has more bldgs. to see?

Thanks!

at lamanai, they won't let you roam by yourself. you have to stay with the group or return to the lunch area. between the howler monkeys, the snakes and other critters, the guide watches everyone closely. we had a "assisant" guide...he walked behind our group..was our protector.

lamanai was 3 building (one you can climb), a small (well perseved) ball court. NCL is (about) the only cruise line offering tour to this site. lamanai is a newer discovery then some of the others, due to the location..it's more protected and looks like the tribe left yesterday.

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

a couple of weeks, after we were there, one person came on here and said they had a BIG snake at the "mask" temple. curled up by the mask, taking a nap. talking to our guide, she said she saw the dangerous snakes every trip..just doesn't tell anyone to avoid a panic or someone doing something stupid to get bite. since it's over 2 hours to a major town, you don't want to get hurt while at lamanai.

our guide moved our group along, kept things interesting and was one of the best guides we have EVER had. the jungle setting was outstanding, made the trip ever more of a "indiana jones" experience.

remember, it's a tender port...if you book through NCL, you get on the 1st tender and get a early start to a long day.

Thank you so much! "Snakes"!!! I now know which one I am taking; not Lamanai! I totally agree with the famous phrase from Indiana Jones, "snakes, I hate snakes!"

Thanks again for your quick response.

Vickie in Virginia

i grew up around snakes, i didn't see any at lamanai...and the guide(s) were great. they wouldn't let anything happen.

you will be missing out if you never go to lamanai..it's very unreal, almost untouched. since it's so isolated, very few tourist get to see it. the howler monkeys cause more trouble then the snakes...the monkeys get riled and throw stuff at the tourist. thank goodness they were guiet when we were there. the boat ride is another thing, great way to see the birds and water critters. i have photos in my webshot link (in signature), just go to belize file.

like that other link says, the natural jungle is slowing being destroyed, leaving the jungle (around lamanai) for the critters and birds. hence, the guides will NOT allow anyone to wander on their own.

350198168_localfishermanindugout.jpg.b2979013f0239f5e7f0e82c6238d42f0.jpg

988058655_UptotheMaskTemple.jpg.a7d64f85ab3079e9b069843084cc117e.jpg

1358024287_enteringtheballcourtarea.jpg.8758a984441d1f867a84f5f74ead59ca.jpg

1854793678_howlermonkeycloseup.jpg.3649077846157efa5ea495c4471e6060.jpg

1123213274_Close-upofJaguarcarving.jpg.67c7040c4954263fa43f891211157c8f.jpg

Archived