Is there a differennce in styles new york to to bermuda vs miami/houston to caribbean

lilcruzr

Is there a difference in clothing styles (dressy vs casual) between New York to Bermuda and Miami/Houston to the Caribbean? We have never been to New York or Bermuda. We leave in late Ocotber on NCL. We have done 5 cruises out of either Houston or Miami to the Caribbean. The styles have always been more on the casual side. I wasn't sure if the styles would be dressier out of New York. Any information would be helpful.

Is there a difference in clothing styles (dressy vs casual) between New York to Bermuda and Miami/Houston to the Caribbean? We have never been to New York or Bermuda. We leave in late Ocotber on NCL. We have done 5 cruises out of either Houston or Miami to the Caribbean. The styles have always been more on the casual side. I wasn't sure if the styles would be dressier out of New York. Any information would be helpful.

On the cruise itself, I would not expect much difference. On the island, Bermuda is a more "upscale" casual than you will see in the Caribbean. Bermudians are a very refined and well educated group of people; the island enjoys one of the higher living standards in the world--it is absolutely gorgeous and everything there is immaculate. Prices on the island are much higher than in the Caribbean. You will generally not see the "usual" Caribbean attire anywhere but on the beaches. I've been visiting the island off and on since 1971 and it is still one of my favorite places to visit. Go for it!:)

We did the Bayonne to Bermuda route on the Celebrity Zenith about theree years ago. I didn't notice much of a difference in attire from Caribbean cruises from Miami.

I agree that Bermuda is much more conservative than the Caribbean.

If you are going in October, I suggest taking light jackets or sweaters.

The New York metro area can get quite cool and Bermuda is quite a bit north of Florida.

Here are the temperature averages by month:

http://bermuda-guide.info/weather/

Because Bermuda is in the Gulf Stream they enjoy good weather most of the year but evenings can be a little cool at times.

You might need the long sleeves and long pants in NYC in October but I'd go by the weather forecast a few days before your departure.

When we sailed out of Galveston I saw many more pairs of jeans onboard than I had seen sailing out of Florida or California. Including jean overalls. Not trying to start something by stating it...just reporting what we noticed :)

Texas is much more casual for the most part, and most cruises departing from there reflect that in the chosen attire. Mind you, not everyone on board is actually from Texas, but it may appear that way. Jeans are quite common casual wear in most restaurants, many churches, and even seen at funerals and weddings(Gasp if you must, but it is what it is.). Having just spent a few nights in Big D just days ago, my memory is fresh. There are many who will dress up, especially if it's specifically called for (my family abides by the dress codes regardless) but many will wear "good" jeans, which are usually, clean, pressed and many times starched.

I haven't sailed out of Miami yet, so I can't speak to that port, but I found New Orleans to be very similar to Galveston, but we were on NCL, and jeans are just fine and formal is 100% optional. NCL is overall more casual in my view, and it made packing more simple.

I haven't been to the Caribbean, but I took the Dawn from NYC to Bermuda in May and a land trip to NYC last year.

While I found that some people were dressed with what I would consider "big city style" on the cruise, it wasn't the most common. Most of the time people were dressed casually, and I didn't see much obvious cash on their backs. I saw a few wonderful outfits in the evening and one stylish woman with an outstanding hat at disembarkation. (I want to be her when I grow up, but at 46 I had better hurry!) I never felt underdressed or small town.

Just don't schlep it in Hamilton. The local ladies dress very well with some amazing high heels on those hills! You'll feel awkward in beach attire. Off the beaten path, and in St. George, locals dress more casually, but you won't see a great deal of skin on the non-tourists.

Be prepared for Bermudian menswear! :D I knew they sometimes wear shorts with a suit jacket and tie, but I didn't know the shorts were in such primary colours and that they didn't match with their jackets, ties or their kneesocks.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are the temperature averages by month:

http://bermuda-guide.info/weather/

Because Bermuda is in the Gulf Stream they enjoy good weather most of the year but evenings can be a little cool at times.

You might need the long sleeves and long pants in NYC in October but I'd go by the weather forecast a few days before your departure.

I'm going to Bermuda from NYC in October and was intrigued by the "cooler" temps at night, I checked the link for the temps and the cooler, lower temps, now I'm from Scotland and to me this is tropical!! lol

Archived