Nile cruise late October

luluwoof

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I saw your note about your tour to Egypt with Gate1. I plan on going perhaps either in October or December of this year.

I was wondering if you could share your experience with me on the MS Queen Hansa and Gate 1 as a tour agency.

I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate your input. I will be traveling alone unfortunately, but Gate1 assured me I would be okay.

Thank you, Brigitte

Bridgee@netscape.com

:)We took Gate 1 to Egypt 4 yrs.ago, used different riverboat,but it was great.Have a few tips to enjoy it even more, do take antibiotic, ask your Dr. to prevent stomach /digestive problems.I didnt and missed 3 days of touring.Eat only food/and bottled water from ship.Nothing you cant peel, no salad, etc.THe ship was clean, staff friendly, food good.The city of Cairo is wild, watch when you cross streets,they dont stop for you.Must goto Egyptian Museum.See King Tut, with no lines!!!! Every stop is like going back to 5 th century.So much to see and learn.Also, dress modestly, long pants,tops, scarf(wore around neck, unless in mosque or bazaars).Dont go in Nile river, risk of bilazeria. No crocs above Aswan Dam.It was one on my favorite trips, along with Russia,Portugal, and southern France.Any questions, just ask. Check with CDC website for vaccines they suggest.PS. with all this medical stuff you might guess I m a nurse.

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

I'm going to Egypt in June and will be taking a cruise on the MS Queen of Hansa (this will be my first cruise ever) and I'm curious about tipping, and dressing for breakfast, lunch and dinner... would a pair of khaki's and a short sleeved polo or golf shirt be appropriate for dinner? What about breakfast and lunch? And what is customary in tipping in Egypt?

Thanks for all input!

Hi All,

I'm going to Egypt in June and will be taking a cruise on the MS Queen of Hansa (this will be my first cruise ever) and I'm curious about tipping, and dressing for breakfast, lunch and dinner... would a pair of khaki's and a short sleeved polo or golf shirt be appropriate for dinner? What about breakfast and lunch? And what is customary in tipping in Egypt?

Thanks for all input!

Went with Avalon in 2008. As I recall, all tips that were part of the cruise price were taken care of by our guide/Egyptologist. He told us there was no need to tip anyone unless we had a special service like a mixed drink. Our tour guide was the only other person we tipped. We did not eat at restaurants on our own at all. Only on the ship or hotel booked by Avalon. All but two meals were included. Any tipping for waiters on the ship when we ordered drinks or at the hotels was in US$ and we tipped the customary 20% we would here at home.

• 5 weeks later...
My husband and I will be with the Gate 1 Fifteen day Egypt and a 7 day Nile cruise on the boat MS Queen of Hansa. Has anyone done this and may have some advice etc.

thank you!

I am planning same trip in Feb 2010 would like to read your input as to the Queen of Hansa river boat and trip in general. TY.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I will be with the Gate 1 Fifteen day Egypt and a 7 day Nile cruise on the boat MS Queen of Hansa. Has anyone done this and may have some advice etc.

thank you!

Hi,

I'm thinking about the 10 day egypt with 6 day Nile cruise next year 4/11. I am currently booked on NCL but since it looks like I'm going alone the price will be doubled so I'm considering Gate 1. Would you or anyone please share their experiences on this board with Gate 1. I've read good and bad and of course you can't please everyone but I'd like more information and I trust this site as I've used it for my previous cruises.

Thanks

Jo Ann

Hi,

I'm thinking about the 10 day egypt with 6 day Nile cruise next year 4/11. I am currently booked on NCL but since it looks like I'm going alone the price will be doubled so I'm considering Gate 1. Would you or anyone please share their experiences on this board with Gate 1. I've read good and bad and of course you can't please everyone but I'd like more information and I trust this site as I've used it for my previous cruises.

Thanks

Jo Ann

Oh, I forgot to mention the ship will be the MS Nile plaza which I understand is the middle of the road ship. I don't expect much but if it's clean and decent food, I'll be okay - I'm going more for the sights than cruise. IF anyone has been on the Nile Plaza I'd love to hear from you.

Jo Ann

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, I forgot to mention the ship will be the MS Nile plaza which I understand is the middle of the road ship. I don't expect much but if it's clean and decent food, I'll be okay - I'm going more for the sights than cruise. IF anyone has been on the Nile Plaza I'd love to hear from you.

Jo Ann

We conidered going on a Viking cruise, but decided instead to do a land based trip to Egypt and Jordan offered by a travel agency in Rhode island as a "Photographers Adventure" in November.

Archived