Ventura Transatlantic - Swine Flu / Medication question

claiream3

Hi, going on a transatlantic cruise October on Ventura, booked it well over a year ago.

I have exercise induced asthma, which is under control but also worsens when I get a cough/cold etc usually in winter meaning I could be at greater risk of the dreaded swine flu.

My question is about medication – do you think the ships doctors/medical centre will stock the tamiflu/relenza if I needed it?

I wouldn’t usually ask the question but because it’s a transatlantic cruise we wont see land for 6 days after Tenerife – what if I / my Hub catch it on the first of them 6 days and I have no access to medication? :confused: I wouldn’t be worried if it was a week round the Med with a new port each day where we could be flown home at that port or use their hostpital.

Has anybody ever needed any type of medication prescribing during a cruise and was it prescribed, by the ships doctor – (in the most polite way: please don’t respond if this was the case but your cruise was port intensive – this case is different and as I say I wouldn’t worry if I knew there was a port to get to!)

Its almost a dead certainty that the virus will get onto the ship due to the time of year therefore its not a case of if, but when. With no land for another 5/6 days with no access to a proper hospital it really worries me. All these images run through my head “what if we’re too far out at sea for a helicopter to get to us” etc etc. my mind really does work overtime as its not helped with the media scaremongering us. All this worries me, far more than a norovirus outbreak.

Thanks for listening (and responding if you do). ;)

Claire (paranoid cruiser).

Hi, going on a transatlantic cruise October on Ventura, booked it well over a year ago.

I have exercise induced asthma, which is under control but also worsens when I get a cough/cold etc usually in winter meaning I could be at greater risk of the dreaded swine flu.

My question is about medication – do you think the ships doctors/medical centre will stock the tamiflu/relenza if I needed it?

I wouldn’t usually ask the question but because it’s a transatlantic cruise we wont see land for 6 days after Tenerife – what if I / my Hub catch it on the first of them 6 days and I have no access to medication? :confused: I wouldn’t be worried if it was a week round the Med with a new port each day where we could be flown home at that port or use their hostpital.

Has anybody ever needed any type of medication prescribing during a cruise and was it prescribed, by the ships doctor – (in the most polite way: please don’t respond if this was the case but your cruise was port intensive – this case is different and as I say I wouldn’t worry if I knew there was a port to get to!)

Its almost a dead certainty that the virus will get onto the ship due to the time of year therefore its not a case of if, but when. With no land for another 5/6 days with no access to a proper hospital it really worries me. All these images run through my head “what if we’re too far out at sea for a helicopter to get to us” etc etc. my mind really does work overtime as its not helped with the media scaremongering us. All this worries me, far more than a norovirus outbreak.

I think that by the time you go, that they will start an immunisation programme for the virus. Starting with those in vulnerable categories, and having asthma, you would qualify. Also qualifying would be children as well.

Now, I doubt that they would have the tamiflu vaccine onboard, but if there developed a situation, then they may in the first instance quarantine you to your cabin while the medical staff assess your condition.

If they feel you may have the swine flu, they could either keep you onboard in quarantine if you show mild symptoms, or if there are problems, airlift you off to the nearest hospital.

Should you have any ongoing concerns, it's best to speak to your GP, and also to discuss with whoever you booked the cruise with.

Scrozuk

I think that by the time you go, that they will start an immunisation programme for the virus.

Now, I doubt that they would have the tamiflu vaccine onboard, Scrozuk

It is highly unlikely that the vaccine will be available as early as October, the best estimate is early next year, and even this will be somewhat of a risk as many of the tests usually done on a new vaccine will be bypassed.

Tamiflu is not a vaccine, it is a treatment for flu and is available now. I would say it is certain to be carried on all passenger ships as they are so vulnerable to rapid spread of all sort of infections.

Air lifting is not an option mid Atlantic.

David.

It is highly unlikely that the vaccine will be available as early as October, the best estimate is early next year, and even this will be somewhat of a risk as many of the tests usually done on a new vaccine will be bypassed.

Tamiflu is not a vaccine, it is a treatment for flu and is available now. I would say it is certain to be carried on all passenger ships as they are so vulnerable to rapid spread of all sort of infections.

Air lifting is not an option mid Atlantic.

David.

I work for the NHS and spent this morning in a meeting with the Flu Director amongst others (yes there really is a Flu Director) and whilst there are no definite timescales for delivery and licensing of the new vaccine things aremoving apace and I, for one, would be amazed if the vaccine did not become available until next year.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say September/October would be more realistic but as I say the situation is developing very rapidly.

Debbie:)

Firstly Claire you are not paranoid

My husband has a lung condition and I too am very concerned as to how he would cope if he were to get the swine flu. So I can understand your fear. With regards to Tamiflu - we were onboard Ventura in April when the swine flu broke in Mexico. We were sent a note during the cruise to reassure us that they had stocks of Tamiflu onboard. So yes they do stock it.

Just wondering if you have paid your final payment if not could you change you cruise to one later in the year?

Sue

Hi Claire

Just to add - I've just seen a post on another site which said that a Doctor on the radio was recommending using beta-glucan which is a natural yeast extract which boosts the immune system and will help to prevent you getting swine flu! Might be worth a try - have a look at www.beta-glucan.co.uk

Sue

If I were to hazard a guess I would say September/October would be more realistic but as I say the situation is developing very rapidly.

Debbie:)

Debbie - On reflection I think you may be correct, there is so much government hype about a flu epidemic that is in reality no more severe than many others we have had over the last 50 years or so, that early introduction of the vaccine will be pushed as hard as possible (and there is always the ELECTION to consider)

We can do much for ourselves, especially on board ships by being meticulous on personal hygene and being aware of the others around us. And you will certainly get better and more prompt treatmemt than you are likely to get ashore.

David.

Archived