less crowded area on 7 mile beach

houcruzer

Haven't been to Grand Cayman in awhile but last time seemed like you could rent a taxi for about $7 and get a ride to 7 mile beach. However, we were taken to an area where there were about 1000 people. For extra money will a cab driver take you to a less crowded area? I assume there are other public areas that are less crowded....

Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,

hc

I was on the island for awhile and in my experience the area around the Reef was the most crowded. It's close to town, has all the amenities, rentals and good food. So fo course everyone goes there. If you go a bit further along to the public beach area where Sea Grape is I always found it less crowded, especially down just a little bit away from it and the chair rentals. Sea Grape is only about half way down the beach. Beyond that the multi-floor hotels start to give way to smaller villas and condos and it's a lot less busy. The beach frontage is all public, so you can sit anywhere if you don't mind just a towel, but the problem is if you want any facilities, bars or restaurants. Down at pretty much the end of the beach there is another public spot with washrooms, but that's about it. Oh, and the road goes all the way along parallel, so you can take a cab or just hop on a bus.

I guess that's the catch 22... the spots on the beach with all the amenities people look for ending up being the most packed.

That is the key. The crowds are where the facilities are. If you don't mind sitting on your towel you can take a taxi to a spot like the Reef Grill or Sea Grape and walk up or down the beach until you find a spot of sand that you want to hang out on. Then if you want something to eat or drink or need restrooms and showers you can head back to the Reef Grill or Sea Grape and get what you need.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Archived