RCI vs Celebrity on long Baltic cruise

j.a.m.

Hi all,

I've skimmed the forums but have not yet found what I need. I was wondering where I could find the equivalent of an RCI "Compass" for Celebrity so that we can determine what kind of activities are offered on Celebrity versus RCI. We've done two RCI cruises and are about to do our third. Next year we're considering the Baltic, and both lines feature cruises to this region. I've heard that Celebrity is much more "sedate." Well, we're in our 50s and aren't really into the pool games or late-night disco'ing, so "sedate" doesn't scare me, but if I can see a "daily" I'll know whether it's really for us.

I'm also assuming formal nights are taken a little more seriously on Celebrity. Am I right?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm also assuming formal nights are taken a little more seriously on Celebrity. Am I right?

On our Baltic cruise, almost all were dress in formal wear on formal nights. ( What a novel idea) :D

Hi all,

I've skimmed the forums but have not yet found what I need. I was wondering where I could find the equivalent of an RCI "Compass" for Celebrity so that we can determine what kind of activities are offered on Celebrity versus RCI. We've done two RCI cruises and are about to do our third. Next year we're considering the Baltic, and both lines feature cruises to this region. I've heard that Celebrity is much more "sedate." Well, we're in our 50s and aren't really into the pool games or late-night disco'ing, so "sedate" doesn't scare me, but if I can see a "daily" I'll know whether it's really for us.

Many thanks in advance.

Why don't you come along with us on the July 10 Celebrity Eclipse?

We love both lines...as you might be able to tell from my signature...

We are 50 and 55...and find Celebrity to be almost perfect for our age group...It's a little more sedate than RCI of course, but there is still plenty going on...

We just got off the Oceania Nautica and, though a great cruise, it does tend to shut down after dinner...Celebrity doesn't...They do have plenty of activities...

But, of course, with long days touring in port, a little slower is okay...

Of course there's no rock climbing, ice skating or water skiing...but there is stuff like trivia, piano bar, karaoke, shows, disco, and all sorts of various activities...

They do take formal night a little more seriously, but not really that much different than Royal Caribbean...I usually rent a tux when going to Europe so I don't have to schlepp mine in my luggage...

The food and service are EXCELLENT, the ships are very nice...

Bruin Steven, we might just take you up on that. We're eyeing the Eclipse next summer. Thanks for all your helpful info. It's between RCI's Jewel of the Seas and the Eclipse.

Texed -- haha -- I guess what I should have written is this: I've read that on Celebrity formal nights folks are expected to stay formal throughout the evening activities. It didn't appear that way on RCI. In the end, it doesn't really matter all that much. I like the idea of renting tuxes on ship. Ladies have it far easier.

Thanks, frisbeeace, as well.

Bruin Steven, we might just take you up on that. We're eyeing the Eclipse next summer. Thanks for all your helpful info. It's between RCI's Jewel of the Seas and the Eclipse.

Texed -- haha -- I guess what I should have written is this: I've read that on Celebrity formal nights folks are expected to stay formal throughout the evening activities. It didn't appear that way on RCI. In the end, it doesn't really matter all that much. I like the idea of renting tuxes on ship. Ladies have it far easier.

Thanks, frisbeeace, as well.

We'd love to have you cruise with us...

As to the Celebrity formal nights, yes, they do say to stay in formal attire all night...but, to be honest, after dinner, I head back to my cabin, drop off the jacket and tie and just wear the tux pants and shirt unbuttoned at the collar...Hey, I'm still wearing the formal wear...but I do want to be comfortable...and I do see a lot of people losing the formal wer at some point in the evening...

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Based on our 14 night Baltic Cruise on Constellation and our 12 night Mediterranean Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas, both cruises lines took formal nights on European Cruises seriously in the main dining room. The only difference is that Brilliance of the Seas has a full buffet at dinner time and there were a number of passengers who went to the buffet instead of the main dining room on formal nights. However, on Caribbean Cruises, Celebrity passengers have a tendency to take formal night more seriously which is probably due to the age difference of the passengers.

Archived