Please help my family find a beach, Freeport / Nassau

WebExec

Hi,

Finally taking my family on a cruise. There are six of us going so I am on a really tight budget.

I promised that the kids would have some time on the beach. This is their first time seeing the ocean. Like I said I'm on a budget and adding up the cost of taking the lowest priced beach excursion is going to cut into it by $500. Is there a good safe public beach (read: free!) that the family can go to, to soak up sun and dip our toes in the water? at either Freeport or Nassau? All the beaches I read about when googling are in front of hotels, and I can't imagine it being open to the public.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply.

Hi,

Finally taking my family on a cruise. There are six of us going so I am on a really tight budget.

I promised that the kids would have some time on the beach. This is their first time seeing the ocean. Like I said I'm on a budget and adding up the cost of taking the lowest priced beach excursion is going to cut into it by $500. Is there a good safe public beach (read: free!) that the family can go to, to soak up sun and dip our toes in the water? at either Freeport or Nassau? All the beaches I read about when googling are in front of hotels, and I can't imagine it being open to the public.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply.

In Nassau.. grab a cab and head to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Isalnd ($4pp for the cab). There's a public walkway next to the RUI hotel and the beach and water are excellent.

There are no restrooms or amenities,, but you can rent a chaise if you like... and there are locals who sell rum drinks from their coolers.

Bring your towels and soak up the sun.

You might want to pack some snacks and water ... available downtown at City market near the cruise port.

Its only $4 a person for the taxi from the cruise port to cabage beach/atlantis? I thought it was $8 a person, thats good news if its 4!! ps not to sound like a noob but you tip the cab drivers a few dollars just like here in the states right??

One last question around how much would you say it would cost for a cab "4 of us" from atlantis to the straw market or senior frogs?? I was thinking like 10 a person or so, so like 40 dollars any ideas thanks

One last question around how much would you say it would cost for a cab "4 of us" from atlantis to the straw market or senior frogs?? I was thinking like 10 a person or so, so like 40 dollars any ideas thanks

The cab is $4pp each way.. so round trip is $8. If you have the time, you may want to take the Ferry back (they run til 6pm). It's $3pp and gives you a taste of bahamian culture as well as a mini tour of the harbour.

You'll see the ferry dock from the bridge.. just ask.

As for the straw market and Senor frogs.. they are just 2/3 short blocks from the port exit (where you started your day) . So just take a cab back downtown from Atlantis/paradise Island.. or walk a few steps from where the ferry boat drops you off.

Make sure you ask the driver for his fare.. since coming off of Paradise Island you have to take the backroads (all roads lead to Atlantis.. back roads lead away).. some cabbies charge a bit more to drop you further into town.

So just take the cab back to the port and walk the short blocks.. it will save you a few dollars in cab fare.

Archived