Perfect example ...always fly in early no matter the time of year!

for flying in a day early! We've been lucky on our previous cruises - we flew in the day of and had no delays! This time though we are traveling with our DS's and we want to show them San Juan before we sail. We are also extending our vacation by one day to continue the tour of Puerto Rico for the kids. They'll miss one day of school, but I don't think their teachers will mind.

Sorry she had a flight delay Sue. :( And of course, you are 100% correct.

I had more than my fair share of unexpected flight delays. The craziest was out of Phillie - first for fog - then for mechanical delay. So my noon flight landed at 10pm in Orlando. :eek: Luckily all we missed was one extra pre-cruise night in Walt Disney World - the cruise was leaving the next day. ;)

On our first cruise in Dec 04 on the Vision leaving out of LA. Living at Lake Tahoe it is 50 miles to the Reno airport and 90 to Sacramento airport. From Both Airports it is about a 60 minute flight.

Thanks to CC we went a day early from Sacramento. Had a 4:00 P.M. flight we were at the hotel in San Pedro by 6:30 had dinner went swimming in the pool, got to bed by 10:30 had breakfast the next morning was on the ship eating lunch by 12:00

thats my story. the next part is from a guy I was talking to at the captains reception. Him and his family lived in Reno, they had a 10:00 flight from Reno to LA. (remember this is only a 1 hour flight) well that year Reno had the worst fog they have had in over 50 years. I don't remember what time he said they finally left Reno but I do remember him telling me they got to the ship at about 4:35 for a 5:00 sailing.

My daughter is currently on a flight from San Francisco, they were diverted to Allentown and are finally back in the air 5+ hours late, because of bad thunderstorms in the JFK area.

If she had been going on a cruise and flying day of, there is a good chance she most likely would have missed the ship.

Many on here stress going in a day early in the winter but just wanted to point out major delays can and do happen in the summer months too!!!

We've had more than a couple of flights delayed or canceled due to weather or mechanical issues. We've sat on the tarmac for up to three hours waiting out passing thunderstorms. I once was on a flight that had to be diverted to a satalite airport to refuel due to circling so long we ran low (summer thunderstorm). I couldn't catch another flight until early the next morning on that deal. We've had electrical gizmo's in the cockpit that didn't work, malfunctioning warning lights that had to be resolved, seats that were broken on a full flight that had to be fixed et.......

My little saying about flying is, "If you have time to spare, go by air." Because the airlines and weather can be so unpredictable, we always try to fly in a day early. Sometimes I worry that even flying in a day early might not be enough but, that's all we alot for a cruise.

Archived