Azura - 2011

Hi,

We are new to P&O (sailed with RCCL and Celebrity) - I have just picked up a brochure on Azura and seriously thinking of booking. Maybe someone can help with a few questions;

• Any info on what the likely cost will be to use the "Retreat" throughout the cruise
  • What differences will we see between sailing with an American line and a UK one ?
  • Are passenegrs mainly British or is there still a large proportion of US (we do like to meet people from all over the world)
  • Any other thoughts/ info on Azura before we decide (I know its early but once I see a crusie I really fancy then I can't get it off my mind until we book :confused:)

Linda:)

Hi,

We are new to P&O (sailed with RCCL and Celebrity) - I have just picked up a brochure on Azura and seriously thinking of booking. Maybe someone can help with a few questions;

• Any info on what the likely cost will be to use the "Retreat" throughout the cruise
  • What differences will we see between sailing with an American line and a UK one ?
  • Are passenegrs mainly British or is there still a large proportion of US (we do like to meet people from all over the world)
  • Any other thoughts/ info on Azura before we decide (I know its early but once I see a crusie I really fancy then I can't get it off my mind until we book :confused:)

a) no-one knows yet what the cost will be; however the equivalent Princess ships (Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Ruby Princess) have a similar facility (the Sanctuary) - have a look on the Princess website & see what the charge is for it.

b) Considerable differences. The overall flavour will be very British - the menus, the entertainment, etc. The on-board currency will be GBP. The bars will stock UK beers rather than american, and you will probably find bar prices quite a bit cheaper than on the american ships. No 15% gratuity surcharge on bar bills. Etc, etc. It's a very British experience.

c) 95%+ Brits - possibly even 98%+. P&O is not the line to choose for a cosmopolitan experience....

d) As a ship, have a look at both Ventura and the list of Princess ships I mentioned above. Azura is possibly a little closer, physically, to the Princess ships than is Ventura.

The Grand Princess class has been very successful, but there's no getting away from the fact that the basic design is well over 10 years old now. The ships are very good but they've fallen a bit behind the very best - look at Celebrity's Solstice class (Solstice, Equinoxe, Eclipse) as an example of the best contemporary cruise ship design. In fact that would be a good comparison to make: Celebrity Eclipse is sailing from Southampton in summer 2010, and it's assumed that she will do so again in 2011. The choice between Azura & Eclipse is an interesting one.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for all the info - although I am now wondering if P&O is really for us - don't want to dismiss it as the Azura has a fantastic itinerary in the Carribbean in Feb 2011 that I really liked, however........ the ship is a big part of our holiday and also meeting new friends from far and wide.

We have been on Solstice and going on Equinox in Feb 2010, I think I will hold fire until some of the first reviews come out on Azura.

P.S. Solstice was fantastic, we went Aquaclass and loved it

Hi Tom,

Thanks for all the info - although I am now wondering if P&O is really for us - don't want to dismiss it as the Azura has a fantastic itinerary in the Carribbean in Feb 2011 that I really liked, however........ the ship is a big part of our holiday and also meeting new friends from far and wide.

We have been on Solstice and going on Equinox in Feb 2010, I think I will hold fire until some of the first reviews come out on Azura.

Unfortunately the first reviews of Azura will be bad, it's a P&O tradition, and will tell you little.

However I would agree with you regarding P&O as I do not think that they are the line for you as the passengers are 99% British. Although P&O now do sell their cruises in the States, they are very expensive compared to the US lines. The prices I have seen on US web sites do not include air fares, which pushes up the price even further.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi Tom,

Hiya, we were on the cruise after you (Solstice), isn't she wonderful?

I went on Ventura last year, the best I could say about her is she is ok.

I went on Solstice this year, out of this world.

Before Solstice I had always been on P&O.

I might still go on P&O if they have a good itinerary but Celebrity will be my first choice and I would not go back on Ventura.

I think Ventura is a couple of classes below Solstice and Equinox.

Perhaps Azura will be different to Ventura, but I am worried that P&O is now trying to attract a different type of clientele and that Azura will just follow in Ventura's footsteps.

We will have to wait and see I suppose.

Saying all that, you will probably love Ventura or Azura!!

Cheers

Gerry

Hi,

We have booked the Azura feb 2011 because of the fab islands it visits to the caribbean ! Im sure you will have a great time on this lovely new ship im really really really excited about it! :)

Archived