Recent Radiance Muster Drills

morebeaches

I have been reading on the RCCL boards about the change in Muster Drill policy that is being implemented on RCCL ships. The change being that you are no longer required to wear your life jackets to the Muster Drill. Can anyone confirm if this is happening on the Radiance yet?

It's being "tested", not necessarily implemented. Here's what RCI says:

"There is always something going on somewhere in the fleet or at headquarters. An experiment. A trial. An effort to make the Royal Caribbean cruise experience better for our guests. Sometimes the idea disappears without a trace. Usually something good comes of it. I’d like to mention a few concepts that you will probably be hearing more about in the near future.

The first has to do with a staple of cruising: the muster drill we require our guests to participate in at the beginning of each cruise. This is an International Maritime Law requirement. After 40 years we are still working on improving the drill from both a safety and satisfaction standpoint. We are trying out having our guests come to their muster drill station without first returning to their staterooms to get their life jackets and then returning the life jackets to their staterooms after the drill. The idea is possible, particularly on our larger ships, because we can store a sufficient amount of life jackets at the muster stations in case of a real emergency. Also, in the event of a real emergency, going from wherever you are at the moment to your stateroom and then to your muster station may not be optimal from the safety aspect. This experiment is looking extremely promising for both guest flow and comfort. In addition, we are testing the electronic recording of all present at the muster station so the bridge and safety officers can know real time who is present and accounted for."

I have been reading on the RCCL boards about the change in Muster Drill policy that is being implemented on RCCL ships. The change being that you are no longer required to wear your life jackets to the Muster Drill. Can anyone confirm if this is happening on the Radiance yet?

I was on the Radiance July 3-10 and I have to say that strictly speaking that was my experience. I carried my life jacket to the Muster Drill and slipped it over my head as I entered my station. A kind crew member fastened the straps as my name was checked off. It was much easier to navigate the stairs & hallways without wearing the jacket.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant OR did you mean did we need to have the life jackets with us at the muster drill?

They have been testing on SOME RCI ships that you don't have to bring your life jackets to the drill at all. That would mean in addition to the improved comfort level of the drill, you would not have to go to your cabin to get the jacket before or after the drill. As far as checking you off, they do it by scanning your sea pass card. But it sounds like that they are not doing this on the Radiance so far.

I like the drill with the life jackets, I can tell how much my husband has drank by how long it takes him to put it on and if it is upside down!

Yes Neale I am stalking you:D

:D:D LMAO. LOLOLOL. That's a good one. Great way to check up on hubby :cool:

Cindy

I like the drill with the life jackets, I can tell how much my husband has drank by how long it takes him to put it on and if it is upside down!

Yes Neale I am stalking you:D

Are you saying Bob will have a head start on our meeting in the Schooner Bar???:eek::D;)

Just off the Radiance, everyone was wearing their lifejackets, we did NOT have to tell anyone our cabin #, no check off list. That could have just been our particular area. Also, we were allowed to leave while the captain talked following the drill, normally we have had to stand in that area and wait,,, and wait,,,

Archived