Question for AKSusan

Lanaki

Susan, you have been so helpful to so many on the boards. Was hoping you could help me with my little problem.

We only have one night in Anchorage and I am torn between Simon & Seafort's and Glacier BrewHouse for dinner. They both sound really good. All reviews of both have been great. We love seafood, DH loves meat as well. We are not going for the "tourist" experience as much as want to eat at a great local restaurant. (We are staying at the Hilton so either location is close enough for us to walk as well.)

What would you recommend to family/friends if they were to have to choose between the two?

Appreciate your help and advice. Mahalo nui loa!

Lanaki

Susan, you have been so helpful to so many on the boards. Was hoping you could help me with my little problem.

We only have one night in Anchorage and I am torn between Simon & Seafort's and Glacier BrewHouse for dinner. They both sound really good. All reviews of both have been great. We love seafood, DH loves meat as well. We are not going for the "tourist" experience as much as want to eat at a great local restaurant. (We are staying at the Hilton so either location is close enough for us to walk as well.)

What would you recommend to family/friends if they were to have to choose between the two?

Appreciate your help and advice. Mahalo nui loa!

Lanaki

It's Simon & Seafort's that I recommend for a special dinner, especially since you only have one night. I do like Glacier Brewhouse (but this is my own opinion) I find it a very noisy restaurant. It's the set up that does it as the bar, restaurant area and front of kitchen are all in one big area.

Heck my Mom likes Simon & Seafort's so much that when Costco puts their gift certificates on sale ($100 for $79.99) she has me get her some so we can use them when she's here. She's coming up in a week for five weeks so I see Simon & Seafort's in my future a couple of times :D

I think you'll be happy with either, but I have family and friends that have visited and we've gone to Simon's and they still tell people about it! Part of that could of been the view too though :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

I second Simon and Seafort's!!!! We decided to go for the view.... and Wow! Huge windows to watch everything going on in Cook Inlet. So beautiful. But the food was excellent!!!!!!! We decided to eat in the bar area and had Halibut and Chips (appetizer). It was out of this world in taste and a very generous portion. I did notice as we were leaving that they had an early bird special for those dining before/near 5:00. Call and ask them because I may have that time wrong. I would go again next time we're in town. Good choice!

Hi,

AKsusan is right. I used to work at Glacier Brewhouse. Awesome atmosphere and great food for sure. The service is good too...but maybe I'm biased b/c I was a server there!

But if you're looking for an intimate "first date" type of restaurant, then Simon&Seaforts is the place for you. Maybe you should eat at Glacier Brewhouse for lunch, then stop by Simon's for dinner! The best of both worlds! :)

It's Simon & Seafort's that I recommend for a special dinner, especially since you only have one night. I do like Glacier Brewhouse (but this is my own opinion) I find it a very noisy restaurant. It's the set up that does it as the bar, restaurant area and front of kitchen are all in one big area.

Heck my Mom likes Simon & Seafort's so much that when Costco puts their gift certificates on sale ($100 for $79.99) she has me get her some so we can use them when she's here. She's coming up in a week for five weeks so I see Simon & Seafort's in my future a couple of times :D

I think you'll be happy with either, but I have family and friends that have visited and we've gone to Simon's and they still tell people about it! Part of that could of been the view too though :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

That is what I was thinking, after reading about both. That the Glacier BrewHouse may be a bit loud and crowded. Not that we mind that, sometimes. But maybe not for our one night in Anchorage. And final night before our cruise. :) Also, looking forward to the view I keep hearing about.

I just wanted to get your honest opinion. I appreciate it. Now I can make my reservations and relax about this one last detail. :D

Thank you so much. Enjoy your visit with your Mom. And if you are near S&S on Sunday evening the 2nd, stop by for a drink with us. :cool:

Randi & Charley

That is what I was thinking, after reading about both. That the Glacier BrewHouse may be a bit loud and crowded. Not that we mind that, sometimes. But maybe not for our one night in Anchorage. And final night before our cruise. :) Also, looking forward to the view I keep hearing about.

I just wanted to get your honest opinion. I appreciate it. Now I can make my reservations and relax about this one last detail. :D

Thank you so much. Enjoy your visit with your Mom. And if you are near S&S on Sunday evening the 2nd, stop by for a drink with us. :cool:

Randi & Charley

Just FYI - Simon a couple years started doing well $2.99, then $3 now $4 drinks - They show up on the bar menu (that's what I just cut and pasted the information from) but not on the drink menu in the dining room but we've never had a problem ordering them in the dining room. I've partaken of the Green Apple Drop, the Pomegranate Margarita (currently my favorite) and the Chardonnay. Susan :)

$4 Drink Specials

All day, every day

Green Apple Drop

Cranberry Mojito

Pomegranate Margarita

Sycamore Lane Cabernet Sauvignon

Sycamore Lane Chardonnay

Bud Light

Just FYI - Simon a couple years started doing well $2.99, then $3 now $4 drinks - They show up on the bar menu (that's what I just cut and pasted the information from) but not on the drink menu in the dining room but we've never had a problem ordering them in the dining room. I've partaken of the Green Apple Drop, the Pomegranate Margarita (currently my favorite) and the Chardonnay. Susan :)

$4 Drink Specials

All day, every day

Green Apple Drop

Cranberry Mojito

Pomegranate Margarita

Sycamore Lane Cabernet Sauvignon

Sycamore Lane Chardonnay

Bud Light

I did see your post earlier talking about your "new" favorite, the Pomegrante Margarita. And I did look at their menu on-line. Hmmm...decisions, decisions. Luckily I'll be able to pick something fun, and whatever I am in the mood for, that evening. I might have to try your favorite to let you know what I think. ;)

The offer to stop by for a drink with us is still open. :)

Thanks again!!!

Archived