NCL Jade: courtyard now open to all suites

jonbrealey

Hi Everyone,

We are on the Jade at the moment. We are in a Courtyard Villa - A3. The courtyard area has now been opened to all suites (except mini). I'm very unhappy about this, last year the courtyard was well used but you could generally get a seat and the area was quiet. Now you are very lucky to get a seat, at one point there were 8 children in the pool and 3 in the spa. If you have been in the courtyard you will know it was not built for this. The courtyard butler cannot cope with the number of people he is looking after so you have a long wait for anything you need.

I have met with the assistant hotel director who has basically told me there is nothing he can do but that I should complaint to head office. He apologised over and over again, I get the impression I'm not the first to complain. All of the web based NCL advertising says that the courtyard is for garden, owners and courtyard villas. The main thing I'm annoyed about is that this holiday is very expensive for us, the courtyard is a key feature for us, we have bought the holiday on the basis that it was advertised and NCL have now changed this after we have booked.

Did anyone else booking an A1, A2 and A3 know about this?

What do people think to this?

Jonathan

We have been in an A3 and did it just for the exclusive use of the courtyard - paying a lot more than an ordinary suite - not being a snob or anything, but I would have to agree with you - you usually get what you pay for and it sounds like the suites "down under" now have access to the top. Why would anyone pay extra for them now?

This is the first time I have heard of this. For us this would be nice as we have booked an AB on the Gem but I do very well understand your frustration! :(

Far too many people are using the Courtyard at the moment - I'm sure of that! We actually considered upgrading to A3 just to be able to use the Courtyard but decided that the extra $$$$ was just too much for us. But I'm sure I would have felt totally cheated if onboard I would have found out that I would have been able to use the Courtyard also as an AB Penthouse guest.

This sounds really strange.

Ps. Perhaps this is their way of trying to get new Courtyard Suite guests? Give all suite guests access to Courtyard for a while and then take the access away from the lower suites. I wonder how many will be addicted by then?

This sure sounds starnge to me as well. :confused: Why in the world would this be allowed? I agree - if this is indeed a new policy who will bother paying extra for the A1, 2 & 4?

The Courtyard is not big enough for all the people that all the suites can hold:mad:...something is wrong with this picture...I wonder if this is a test of some sort:confused:...and to not include more staff in the area just doesn't connect in my mind ...we have stayed in the CV's a few times and always enjoyed the quiet and serenity of "a boat within a boat" atmosphere...

NCL, can you confirm or deny this please! :)

I can't imagine what they are thinking on the Jade. I did not like it when they opened the courtyard to all penthouse passengers for an evening cocktail party. The place was packed and we had to get out of the spa a couple hours before so they could set up.

If this becomes policy and I doubt it will the price delta for the courtyard villas will have to drop dramatically.

I couldn't agree more with all the previous observations. What's the point? I would never book a CV or OS again, if this is a new policy. An AC - or -D or -E - would be just dandy, thank you very much. This just doesn't seem to make very much sense.... If this is an experiment, does it occur to anyone else that the Jade seems to be NCL's "lab"? There is news, on another thread, that all entertainment on the Jade is now by Jade Productions, not the Jean Ann Ryan company (-ies), and some comment that perhaps this is an experimental attempt by NCL to lower costs.

maybe the same person who canned the bar setup came up with this too. Big mistake. If I was in a CV and this happened to me I would be pissed.

NCL has the reputation for best Suites at Sea for mainstream lines... Are they trying to mess that up?

I agree... Time to email KS again... Geez!!!!

I copied these descriptions right from the NCL website for description of the Jade suites - they don't mention access to the Courtyard for non-Courtyard suites below AA - so this must be something internal and new and the website hasn't been updated. NCL just basically shot itself in the foot to charge extra money for being in the Courtyard area when they give access to every suite on the ship. If they want people to book suites, they need to give the non-Courtyard suites below AA something other than access to the Courtyard. I would be steaming for paying the money to be in an AA or higher and end up with everyone in AE's to AB's - that's a lot of people. This is definitely a situation where you do not get what you paid for - you got less.

Are they not selling suites and now they want the word to get out so people will book suites? Could they give something else that wouldn't rock the boat for those people who are willing to pay the money for AA's and higher? Not sure what that is - maybe some free booze like an AA - a bottle of something?

If this sticks around, I am sort of glad they took the Jewel out of the Baltics and replaced it with the Sun - I wouldn't want to share the Courtyard with all of the suites on the Jewel - that would make the Courtyard very busy.

I think all suites on the Epic have access to that Courtyard - that was planned - maybe that is why they are doing it on the "older" ships - to make it the same all around?

cat_AA.gif Owner's Suite

These suites include a living room, private balconies, dining room, separate bedroom with king-size bed, mini bar and luxury bath and shower. Butler service and concierge available. Access to exclusive concierge lounge and private courtyard area with pool, hot tub and sundeck.

cat_A4.gif Courtyard Villa

Living area, private balcony, dining area, separate bedroom with queen-size bed, and luxury bath and shower. Butler service and concierge available. Access to exclusive concierge lounge and private courtyard area with pool, hot tub and sundeck.

cat_AB.gif Penthouse

Living area, private balcony, dining area, separate bedroom with queen-size bed, separate children's bedroom, and luxury bath and shower. Butler service and concierge available.

cat_AC.gif Penthouse

Living area, private balcony, dining area, bedroom with queen-size bed, and luxury bath and shower. Butler service and concierge available.

cat_AD.gif Romance Suite

Designed for romance, these suites include a living area, private balcony, dining area, bedroom with queen-size bed and luxury bath and shower. Butler service and concierge available.

cat_AE.gif Penthouse

Living area, private balcony, dining area, bedroom with queen-size bed and luxury bath and shower. (Staterooms for persons with disabilities have a shower only.) Butler service and concierge available.

Well, I can certainly see why those that book AB - AE would be happy with this, I mean you now get all the perks of a CV without the higher pricetag. If they should make this fleetwide I would certainly be disappointed and would certainly not be such a die-hard NCL fan (and after only 1 cruise!) due to their wonderful suite perks. I can't imagine what they must be thinking; people are clearly happy to pay that much higher fare for that quiet peaceful atmosphere in the CY and they have now just trashed that.

There aren't too many things that would send me over the edge on a cruise but if I were in the OP's shoes, payed for a CV knowing what came with that, and then they did this... I would be going way over the assistant HD's head with this and right now, not after I got off the ship.

OP - have you by any chance spoken to any of the guests in the CY that are not in AA or higher? If so, how was this communicated to them? I'm assuming their key cards are allowing access in the elevators up to deck 14?

My e-mail sent also - hoping to get a reply over the next few days as well. This may become Villagate - a potentially disastrous decision that will NOT generate additional revenue but with previous courtyard pax (at least in our case) "downsellling" to AE, AD, etc suites they likely will LOSE revenue.

There's got to be a serious mistake here and let's hope we hear something soon!

This has to be VERY new - we just got off the Jade on Sunday and were in an AE and the courtyard was not open to us and nothing was said. We were invited up to the courtyard for a captain's party one night, I think it was for all suite guests. I'll be interesting in hearing more about this.

This has to be VERY new - we just got off the Jade on Sunday and were in an AE and the courtyard was not open to us and nothing was said. We were invited up to the courtyard for a captain's party one night, I think it was for all suite guests. I'll be interesting in hearing more about this.

Hi lhall85917,

That's interesting, I'm being told lot's of different things. Some staff say it has been for the last few cruises others say it is new on this one. So clearly it is new on this cruise. Personally the only reason why I thought they may have done it is that the ship is so busy - 2990 guests - 800 of which are children (we have two with us). Our server in Papas this evening said there regular operating level is about 2300 which I guess is 700 kids less than we have now.

The things that's doing my head in is that it is playing on my mind, so rather than relaxing I'm annoyed about this. For example this afternoon my wife and I booked the kids into club for a bit ...... but the courtyard was full - not great when you have spent nearly $15,000 on a cruise. Yes we can use our room but we love the courtyard as it is so light and airy.

Jonathan

Well, I can certainly see why those that book AB - AE would be happy with this, I mean you now get all the perks of a CV without the higher pricetag. If they should make this fleetwide I would certainly be disappointed and would certainly not be such a die-hard NCL fan (and after only 1 cruise!) due to their wonderful suite perks. I can't imagine what they must be thinking; people are clearly happy to pay that much higher fare for that quiet peaceful atmosphere in the CY and they have now just trashed that.

There aren't too many things that would send me over the edge on a cruise but if I were in the OP's shoes, payed for a CV knowing what came with that, and then they did this... I would be going way over the assistant HD's head with this and right now, not after I got off the ship.

OP - have you by any chance spoken to any of the guests in the CY that are not in AA or higher? If so, how was this communicated to them? I'm assuming their key cards are allowing access in the elevators up to deck 14?

Hi horsesrus,

I've not managed to talk to other passangers about it, I feel a bit awkward. But yes their keycards have all been activated for the 14th floor. The amount of traffic up and down the lifts is much more than it was last year.

Jonathan

Archived