traveling with oxygen

nannyd43

I will be leaving out of Vancover Sept 7th for a 7 day Alaskan cruise and a 4 day land tour, flying back out of Anchorage. I will be using a battery consentrator supplied by my oxygen company. It is airline approved. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this before, and would also like to know if it is possible to get a scooter to use while in the various ports Thanks for your help. Dee

I will be leaving out of Vancover Sept 7th for a 7 day Alaskan cruise and a 4 day land tour, flying back out of Anchorage. I will be using a battery consentrator supplied by my oxygen company. It is airline approved. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this before, and would also like to know if it is possible to get a scooter to use while in the various ports Thanks for your help. Dee

RE: Oxygen - You need to contact the Special Needs Department of the Cruise Line . There are specific regulations regarding traveling with oxygen on a cruise ship.

RE: Scooter -

1. Whether or not you can use it in port depends on the ports, if the ship is docked or tendered. You must realize that ADA regulations only apply to the USA so you will have some problems with not having curb cut outs . If tendered very unlikely that you'll be able to take the scooter on the tender. Also tour bus generally do not have lifts so the scooter will not be of use . For this reason many people consider taking a collapsable wheel chair along as well. If you listed the ports your going to ,the nice people on this forum can give you additional tips/information for each prot when using a scooter.

2. Yes you can rent a scooter. But need to rent it for the duration of the entire cruise. Again you need to contact the Special Needs Department of the Cruise Line. Do to strip safety and security reason you need to use a rental provider that is approved by the cruise line.

IMPORTANT:

If you haven't booked a Handicap Cabin the scooter may not fit through the door. Cruise lines require that the scooter be stored in the cabin when not in use. It can not be stored in the hallways or other public areas Therefore if you have booked a standard cabin you will also need to know the width of the door opening and than substract 2" for the door when it's open. The scooter you rent cannot be any wider than the resulting number in order for it to fit through the doorway of a standard cabin. Most people make the mistake of not considering the 2" for the actual door when opened and that's when they have problems with the scooter not fitting into the standard cabin. Also the cruise line representatives never take the door into account when they give you the door width.

I traveled with a portable oxygen concentrator (Inogen One) when we flew to Australia for our cruise on the Millenium. The airlines require that you have airline specific forms filled in by your doctor and submitted to them in advance. Contact the special needs department of the airline or you can find the information and form on their web site. Because of the length of our flights I needed to use the aircrafts power so be sure your flight can accomodate that if you won't have enough battery power. Celebrity cruiseline required a special needs form to be filled in just basically notifying them that I was bringing an oxygen concentrator on board. No one questioned it or asked to see it at boarding. I only use it at night but they had even allowed extra space at our dining room table in case I had it with me. Be sure to let them know it is an oxygen concentrator and not tanks. That is where they have regulations.

SorryI can't help you with your other question about the scooter.

Nanny, my husband has sailed Princess with a portable oxygen concentrator (we drove, not flew - so I have no advice on that). There is a form to fill out and mail/fax to Princess advising them you are bringing the POC onboard (his doctor had to sign off on the form saying that he was healthy enough to travel and listing all his meds, etc.). But there were no problems.

One thing --- since there is typically only one plug in the room, instead of bringing an extension cord, DH brought 40 or 50 feet of oxygen hose so he could plug in the POC wherever, and stretch only the oxygen hose all around the room, including in the shower. He used a Sequal (with a spare battery) and had no problem with it on the ship at all.

• 2 weeks later...
does this company work with carnival and has anyone ever rented a oxygen concentrator from them? im trying to get a idea on price.

Don't understand why you just wouldn't call the the comapny and inquire about their pricing ? You don't have to commit to anything . That way you'll get the most current cost information . The toll free number is 1-800-513-4515

I have used an Inogen One on two seven day cruises. Be sure you take a power strip. Also, be sure your provider gives you a battery charger so you can recharge more than one battery at a time.

Don't know anything about scooters, but I always ask for wheel chair assistance in airports.

Have a great cruise. We loved Alaska.

call bot Care Vacations and Special needs at Sea and see who gives you the best price. I've heard good and bad about companies from my readers so they seem about equal in my book. Special Needs is the new guy on the block, but the owner had previous experience at another company.

Candy

Archived